Reload this Page >

Moving to Vegas and Credit

Moving to Vegas and Credit

Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:05 am
Just Joined

gingerbeacon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Vegas and Credit

Hi all

My company wishes for me to move to Vegas and I had a few questions.

They will be giving me a pretty low relocation package and I was wondering what is the minimum I should hold out for on that.

My main concern is my credit however, I dont have any in the US. How easy is it to get a car loan/lease in vegas with zero history of credit. Are any banks likely to give me a credit card of any kind? Will I have to pay more to get utility's such as water and gas connected?

Thanks
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:15 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Vegas and Credit

Having no credit, you will not a credit card in the US - unless you bank with someone in the UK who will transfer what you already have, or you are with American Express.

You may well have to pay a connection fee to get utilities.

As for driving, I would be more concerned about haveing to take the Nevada State Driving Test, as a foreigner you can only dive on your GB license for a certain period of time, so I'd look in to that. Check out International Autosource with regards to leasing/buying a car - they can help to get a car on credit using your GB credit rating.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 12:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerbeacon
Hi all

My company wishes for me to move to Vegas and I had a few questions.

They will be giving me a pretty low relocation package and I was wondering what is the minimum I should hold out for on that.

My main concern is my credit however, I dont have any in the US. How easy is it to get a car loan/lease in vegas with zero history of credit. Are any banks likely to give me a credit card of any kind? Will I have to pay more to get utility's such as water and gas connected?

Thanks
I'm not sure if utilities in NV charge a connection fee (I have never paid one), but you will probably have to pay a security deposit, which will be large enough to cover one month's typical/ estimated usage of water/ electricity, as applicable. Different utilities have different policies, with some returning the deposit after one year, but others holding it longer, or until you leave. I suspect that a lot of it depends on what the state utility regulator allows.

For a car, take a look at International Autosource, and search for the numerous other threads here on the subject. IA will lease or finance a car for new immigrants with no US credit history, but you MUST sign up before you arrive in the US. I used IA, and they are reliable and every bit as good as they seem.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 13th 2013 at 1:26 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

gingerbeacon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies

You mentioned that they use the UK credit score. I have not been in the UK very long Ireland before so I dont have much of a UK credit history. Would that be an issue?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Use your current cards in the US, it is a global world.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies

You mentioned that they use the UK credit score. I have not been in the UK very long Ireland before so I dont have much of a UK credit history. Would that be an issue?
They DON'T use your UK credit score (EDIT: see my post below, I may have misunderstood the point/ question, specifically who "they" are? ). A small number of card issuers (Amex, HSBC, possibly Capital One) can often be persuaded to issue a card based on your UK credit history, but generally speaking you UK (and Irish) credit history is worthless in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 13th 2013 at 2:14 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:57 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I thought IA did use your UK score Pulaski, otherwise how do they know you're credit worthy?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant
I thought IA did use your UK score Pulaski, otherwise how do they know you're credit worthy?
Sorry, there's been a crossed wire. I thought we were talking about use of someone's UK score generally in the US. I do not know how IA works, or on what basis they approve credit applications. Commonsense says that it would involve your UK credit score, but I do not know that to be the case (it may be, I honestly don't know either way.)
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic I know...just curious...but why Vegas? What's the nature of the business?

The problems of the housing boom and bust, and also the lack of water, had a very detrimental effect there. Kinda horrible place, although the surrounding geography, mountains, Death Valley etc is very different from the UK and you might find that a refreshing change for a while.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:15 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Having no credit, you will not a credit card in the US
The OP can get a secured credit card, that is what I did in order to build a credit score. After about 10 months my card was turned in to a regular credit card.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Use your current cards in the US, it is a global world.
Beware the CC company may levy a hefty percentage in charges...also a crap exchange rate.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:23 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

How easy is it to get a car loan/lease in vegas with zero history of credit
Not impossible. You will pay through the nose for it. The predatory lenders offering "No credit history, no problem" loans will gladly sign you up.

Are any banks likely to give me a credit card of any kind?
A secured credit card should not be a problem.

Will I have to pay more to get utility's such as water and gas connected?
You may be required to pay a security deposit, which is typically returned after a period of paying your bills on time.

Everyone's circumstances are different. Your relocation package should at the very least cover your costs.
If they are unwilling to provide all you need, you could ask they also include the utility and accommodation security deposits, which are loans rather than given to you.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:13 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Off topic I know...just curious...but why Vegas? What's the nature of the business?

The problems of the housing boom and bust, and also the lack of water, had a very detrimental effect there. Kinda horrible place, although the surrounding geography, mountains, Death Valley etc is very different from the UK and you might find that a refreshing change for a while.
Typical californian response take no notice. They like to trash vegas because of the crazy costs of living in the california cesspool it somehow justifies them I lived in Huntington beach and could not wait to get out. As California takes 10 times more water out of lake mead than vegas then the water shortage is going to effect them a lot sooner than us also we can return used water to the lake and pump out that extra. You can get a mansion with pool for half the cost of california in a much more desirable area. I absolutely love the lifestyle of low taxes and world class hotels, restaurants and entertainment on my doorstep. If california is so great then why has every other car on the strip got a california plate.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:14 pm
Often not so civil...

I'd still rather see the sea
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Wiki here has good info on building credit, getting cars an relocation packages... Would suggest reading through that and then coming back with any other questions you might have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.