Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the USA (Informal Questions!)

Moving to the USA (Informal Questions!)

Old Jun 24th 2012, 4:20 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the USA (Informal Questions!)

The study route can be very viable, depending on the chosen course. It's how I and several others on this board got here. In my case, I got a science PhD, which involved having tuition fully paid for, with a stipend to cover basic cost of living. I brought only enough money to cover the first few weeks of living, and finished without any debt. I followed up with optional practical training on a temp job, which then transferred me to an H1, and the rest is history. Studying here does not guarantee you the right to stay afterward, but it opens up a lot of avenues to pursue that goal.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 4:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Applying for a masters has already been mentioned, as have merit-based scholarships. There are also assistantships, which at some universities cover ALL tuition costs, plus providing a stipend. This is in return for working either as a teaching assistant or research assistant.

What subject are you currently studying, and are you headed for a 1st class Honours? These two factors influence the likelihood that you will be likely to get an assistantship.

If you want more information on what an assistantship is, maybe try Google.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 6:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CharlieJustSmiled
One thing I forgot to mention, and this is sort of important. Girlfriend isn't a US national- she's an immigrant herself, her family moved out there when she was younger, she'll be applying for citizenship in a year or so. How much does this affect the situation?
When applying for an F-1 or J-1 visa, the fact that you have a non-USC girlfriend living in the USA probably won't affect it much.

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2012, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It does not reduce the time for getting a green card.
Rene
My lawyers are telling me different. I know little about it so I just go with what they say. I'm now on a h1B and my company is sponsoring me through the GC process. They have told me that due to my masters + 15yrs experience, I can go through a 'professional' route to the GC in around a year, whereas otherwise it would have taken around 6 years currently.
Does this sound untrue?
Old Jun 28th 2012, 11:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Having a Master's degree from a US university makes you more attractive to potential employers. It does not reduce the time for getting a green card. It helps you get a US employer to sponsor your work visa. It would be up to the employer to also sponsor your green card (or not).

Rene
Originally Posted by dek
My lawyers are telling me different. I know little about it so I just go with what they say. I'm now on a h1B and my company is sponsoring me through the GC process. They have told me that due to my masters + 15yrs experience, I can go through a 'professional' route to the GC in around a year, whereas otherwise it would have taken around 6 years currently.
Does this sound untrue?
I don't know enough about it. I did not realize having a Masters from the USA puts you in a different green card processing category.

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2012, 11:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your answers everyone, it's great to actually know what I'm doing finally. I don't have a criminal record, or any contact with the police at all for that matter which I'm told is a good thing when applying.

One thing I forgot to mention, and this is sort of important. Girlfriend isn't a US national- she's an immigrant herself, her family moved out there when she was younger, she'll be applying for citizenship in a year or so. How much does this affect the situation?
I don't know the immigration stuff - did all mine a long time ago and it's not current, but I do urge you to come on the longest holidays to the US that you can, visit girlfriend, etc.,and try a get a better sense of the country/culture.

And then consider that emigration isn't at all like going on holiday. Being two countries divided by a single language, people tend to hugely underestimate how different the US and UK cultures really are, some in obvious ways and some in ways that are very hard to pick up on until you are actually living here. Emigration here is far more than a change of geography, and you might well end up feeling more foreign here than in many European countries. Lots of people settle very happily of course, but I'm just suggesting that it's worth bearing in mind.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
They have told me that due to my masters + 15yrs experience, I can go through a 'professional' route to the GC in around a year, whereas otherwise it would have taken around 6 years currently.
It is having a relevant Masters at all that has landed you in the EB-2 category (numbers currently available) rather than the dreaded EB-3 (processing from 6 years ago now). It doesn't matter where you got the Masters from, as long as it is equivalent to a US one (as well as being required by the position, etc.)

Having a Masters from a US institution makes a material (and unrelated) difference to an H-1B nonimmigrant application, in that numbers are subject to a different cap.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

cappedup is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I don't know the immigration stuff - did all mine a long time ago and it's not current, but I do urge you to come on the longest holidays to the US that you can, visit girlfriend, etc.,and try a get a better sense of the country/culture.

And then consider that emigration isn't at all like going on holiday. Being two countries divided by a single language, people tend to hugely underestimate how different the US and UK cultures really are, some in obvious ways and some in ways that are very hard to pick up on until you are actually living here. Emigration here is far more than a change of geography, and you might well end up feeling more foreign here than in many European countries. Lots of people settle very happily of course, but I'm just suggesting that it's worth bearing in mind.
Excellent advice here. Youre young, free and like a certain girl. Dont do anything permanant at all. Like, get married - although it is by far the easiest route to becoming a resident, if thats what you want, which i dont think it is, reading between the lines. Not right now, anyway.

I agree with the above, try and spend as much time here as you can after you graduate to see what floats your boat.

My guess is that trying for a work based visa would drive you mad, as you wouldnt be that sure about it anyway. I agree with the US masters idea. If the finances work out. You get to come on an extended studying trip. With the benefit of still being young at the end of it, maybe still with the girl, having seen the country properly, with the benefit of leaving, or not. At that point in time you would have some other ace decisions to make.

On the point about the rest of Europe Vs US. Ive now lived in both and for me, having the same language is a big plus. My French is pretty good, and I got on well with the French, but there was always the feeling that I was only 90% comunicating. Americans crack me up every day. Great bunch of people, certainly not to be pre-judged. So happy here.

All of the above is just personal ramblings. Ive always done what just felt best at the time, and ive done alright
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by retzie
It is having a relevant Masters at all that has landed you in the EB-2 category (numbers currently available) rather than the dreaded EB-3 (processing from 6 years ago now). It doesn't matter where you got the Masters from, as long as it is equivalent to a US one (as well as being required by the position, etc.)

Having a Masters from a US institution makes a material (and unrelated) difference to an H-1B nonimmigrant application, in that numbers are subject to a different cap.
Thanks for this info. My masters is from UK ( US equivalent ) which must put me into the EB-2 category. I got an update that my PERM is being filed this week so I'm not sure how long it will all take.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 1:10 am
Just Joined

CharlieJustSmiled is just really niceCharlieJustSmiled is just really niceCharlieJustSmiled is just really niceCharlieJustSmiled is just really niceCharlieJustSmiled is just really niceCharlieJustSmiled is just really niceCharlieJustSmiled is just really niceCharlieJustSmiled is just really nice

Thankyou to everyone who has been kind enough to reply to this thread, it's given me a great insight into what may be ahead of me.

The good news is, after much persuasion, I have been offered re-sits on my examinations and a deal has been brokered with my parents that if I come out Uni with either a 1st Class or a 2:1 they will pay for me to travel to the USA for 3 months, to visit the girlfriend, see the country in general and as 'cappedup' said, see what floats my boat! This seems like an excellent idea and me and the girlfriend are both hoping that she has the time over Christmas to visit the UK first.

I'm fully aware now of the perils of the US visa system- as has been mentioned getting one could be a nightmare and I'd have serious doubts about marrying the girl just to stay in the country, regardless of what the feeling is between us. I'd hate anyone to think I was marrying for a visa rather than love, but obviously we are still in very, very early days yet so I really haven't considered that yet!

Once again thanks to all who've replied, hopefully this thread stays alive as my foray into American culture continues!

Cheers everyone x
Old Jul 14th 2012, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

cappedup is on a distinguished road

a deal has been brokered with my parents that if I come out Uni with either a 1st Class or a 2:1 they will pay for me to travel to the USA for 3 months, to visit the girlfriend, see the country in general and as 'cappedup' said, see what floats my boat!..............................

................ I'd hate anyone to think I was marrying for a visa rather than love, but obviously we are still in very, very early days yet so I really haven't considered that yet!
Well, that sounds like a grand plan. 3 months. GF as well. You just gotta get the grade. I got a Desmond, so I cant talk.

I had huge ideas of getting a work based visa after meeting my dream girl. Went through all the process, met with immigration lawyers, paid them a fortune, found a path that worked, planned to pay about $3000 for a visa that would allow me to work for 2 years in a very specific field in the US, and by that time our relationship had developed and i proposed anyway. So, CR1 reared up. Nothing to do with marriage for papers, but that might be the way it looks. Hey, stuff 'em!

So after all that, i married the love interest and got the papers. But i was intent on getting the visas without getting married. And had it all sorted for doing so, but at a crazy cost that didnt make sense while the cheaper, long term, easier, less grief option was right there.

Thats why i recommend you just hang out here for a while, however that happens. Something will come up just by being here on a 3 month VWP (tourist Visa Waiver Program). Just remember not to over stay it. That stuffs things up!.

Anyway, good luck. Remember to report back. This might be an acidic environment at times, but they always have your best interests at heart ....
Old Jul 14th 2012, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappedup
Something will come up just by being here on a 3 month VWP (tourist Visa Waiver Program). Just remember not to over stay it. That stuffs things up!.
Yeah, especially if you stay 3 months when those months add up to more than the 90 days allowed on the VWP!

Originally Posted by cappedup
Anyway, good luck. Remember to report back. This might be an acidic environment at times, but they always have your best interests at heart ....
Yep, might be petty to point out mistakes like that but that extra day or two can hurt for a lifetime!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have serious doubts about marrying the girl just to stay in the country...
Good thing, too... because that'd be illegal. However, it'd be mighty handy (and legal) to marry so that you can both live together on the same continent.

Ian
Old Jul 14th 2012, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

CharlieJustSmiled is just really niceCharlieJustSmiled is just really niceCharlieJustSmiled is just really niceCharlieJustSmiled is just really niceCharlieJustSmiled is just really niceCharlieJustSmiled is just really niceCharlieJustSmiled is just really niceCharlieJustSmiled is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Good thing, too... because that'd be illegal. However, it'd be mighty handy (and legal) to marry so that you can both live together on the same continent.

Ian
Haha I'm fully aware of that! We'll just have to see how it goes when I go over there, as has been mentioned a travel visa will last me for 3 months. Does anyone know if there's any kind of longer term visa, say I wanted to stay for a year to try and find an employer who would sponsor a visa application? I mean, theoretically I have enough money to pay for one myself but it would be a lot cheaper if a company liked me enough to pay for it for me. It just seems a lot to be doing in 3 short months, seeing the girlfriend, seeing the country and trying to find an employer?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

No and it is not 3 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.