Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the USA in a few weeks - How do we transfer money?

Moving to the USA in a few weeks - How do we transfer money?

Old Feb 24th 2013, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Aimee Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the USA in a few weeks - How do we transfer money?

Wow,

It has been a a long few months, but our goods are finally being shipped to SFO on Wednesday. My husband and I are due to fly over in the next few weeks.

We are going to stay with my husband's cousin for a few weeks.
But how do we manage our money situation?
My husband wants to transfer £25,000 from his savings account?
What is the best way to do this without incurring too many costs?
Also, how do we choose a bank? Bank of America vs Wells Fargo.

So, excited, the move is finally happening!
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the USA in a few weeks - How do we transfer money?

Originally Posted by Aimee Jones
Wow,

It has been a a long few months, but our goods are finally being shipped to SFO on Wednesday. My husband and I are due to fly over in the next few weeks.

you need a US bank account first
then most use xe.com to move it

Last edited by Ray; Feb 24th 2013 at 9:10 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

pennieanddarryl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aimee Jones
Wow,

Try currency solution's in the uk we've used them for the last 10 years and they will walk you through, bank is personal choice all much of a muchness
good luck
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:16 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't anything over 10k declare able to the IRS? Might be a good idea to look into that.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Isn't anything over 10k declare able to the IRS? Might be a good idea to look into that.
It is done automatically....you don't need to do anything. Maybe you're getting mixed up by bringing 10K+ in cash/cheques etc into the country with you...then you have to declare that to customs.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It is done automatically....you don't need to do anything. Maybe you're getting mixed up by bringing 10K+ in cash/cheques etc into the country with you...then you have to declare that to customs.
And although the report goes to the IRS, it has nothing to do with taxes - transfers are not per se taxable.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And although the report goes to the IRS, it has nothing to do with taxes - transfers are not per se taxable.
Good point.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

xe or any of the other currency exchange service.

As for bank, plenty of threads going over that...but what ever one has the best local coverage would be probably best.