Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the USA? Don't use Comcast.

Wikiposts

Moving to the USA? Don't use Comcast.

Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the USA? Don't use Comcast.

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Agree with you re Comcast being generally better than TwC. The concern is that they essentially become a dominant monopoly in the US with this merger. FIOS - their main rival - isn't expanding, and no one else appears to want to come to the table.
I agree that it would be nice if FIOS would spend the money and expand but unless you are one of the fortunate few, it appears you will remain one of the fortunate few.

Except for FIOS, Comcast is the best of the cable companies.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I don't always agree with HH (ok, never) but I have to agree here. Comcast is about the worst provider I've ever dealt with and not just recently either. The first time I dealt with them was in the mid-90s when I lived in California. Their customer service alone was the pits. We moved back to the US 10 years ago and I didn't want to give them a chance, but of course I backed down and we tried them out for a couple of years. Not exactly as bad as the featured person who is trying to disconnect their Comcast, but I felt just as harassed when I disconnected mine! Dish comes in a close second behind Comcast for crappy service as well!
I don't understand why anyone would call Comcast to cancel services. It can't be 100% completed until your equipment is returned so unless you think Comcast is going to come to your home and pick up your equipment free of charge, all you are doing is creating two contacts with Comcast, one to tell them you want to cancel and the other is to bring the equipment to the local office and have the equipment recorded as being returned.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:39 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I don't understand why anyone would call Comcast to cancel services. It can't be 100% completed until your equipment is returned so unless you think Comcast is going to come to your home and pick up your equipment free of charge, all you are doing is creating two contacts with Comcast, one to tell them you want to cancel and the other is to bring the equipment to the local office and have the equipment recorded as being returned.
Could be the fear that Comcast will bill you to return equipment? Verizon bills you if you return equipment to one of their stores, for example.

You have to mail it in via their prepaid UPS service to avoid a fee.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Could be the fear that Comcast will bill you to return equipment? Verizon bills you if you return equipment to one of their stores, for example.

You have to mail it in via their prepaid UPS service to avoid a fee.
Comcast doesn't. I've always just brought the equipment back and with 5 minutes the equipment was scanned and recorded and the service was disconnected. If I had a bad cable box or an older model, I'd just bring it to the local Comcast office and pick up a new model without charge and it's takes less than 5 minutes. The service has been very efficient and hassle free in both Fremont and San Jose.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

No idea what its like inside comcast, but I know someone who works in the call center of the cable company here, and those in the cancellation department have to meet a quota, and if they don't they can be fired or otherwise reprimanded.

My guess is this agent is not meeting a quota, and really can't afford to lose the job, and is getting really desperate to turn cancellations into retaining service.

The company may BS and say they don't approve, but something inside the company led to this agent doing this.

We own our equipment so our local cable company doesn't care about it, but I tried to cancel 3 times this year, I say try because they keep offering the service free, and well I can't turn down free, so I keep it. I just don't want to pay for a cable bill anymore, but if they keep offering it free, I'll keep it.

My guess is they want to show they have not lost subscribers, so they are offering free stuff just to retain people.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 15th 2014 at 8:53 am.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to the USA? Don't use Comcast
....that's the title of this thread.

Then, by inference, the OP seems to negate the warning by stating:

"....most Americans have a total choice of one provider in their area"

Or is he suggesting that "most Americans" should give up using the internet altogether?
By the way...a "total choice of one" isn't a choice. But we know that was said facetiously .

It's a good idea to reflect before expressing outrage. Consistency helps if trying to hammer home a point
Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:56 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Comcast doesn't. I've always just brought the equipment back and with 5 minutes the equipment was scanned and recorded and the service was disconnected. If I had a bad cable box or an older model, I'd just bring it to the local Comcast office and pick up a new model without charge and it's takes less than 5 minutes. The service has been very efficient and hassle free in both Fremont and San Jose.
We called into the store near us once. Never again. Approx wait time was 90mins. It was worse than Disney.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 9:20 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Moving to the USA? Don't use Comcast
....that's the title of this thread.

Then, by inference, the OP seems to negate the warning by stating:

"....most Americans have a total choice of one provider in their area"

Or is he suggesting that "most Americans" should give up using the internet altogether?
By the way...a "total choice of one" isn't a choice. But we know that was said facetiously .

It's a good idea to reflect before expressing outrage. Consistency helps if trying to hammer home a point
Why don't you just **** off?
Old Jul 15th 2014, 9:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

My guess is this agent is not meeting a quota, and really can't afford to lose the job, and is getting really desperate to turn cancellations into retaining service.

The company may BS and say they don't approve, but something inside the company led to this agent doing this.
Exactly. Whilst the Comcast rep on the phone wants 20 lashes for his behaviour, the ultimate fault lies with the targets their senior management sets with them. They set the agenda, they shouldn't be surprised when employees act like this.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 9:24 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 15th 2014, 9:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

....... FIOS - their main rival - isn't expanding, and no one else appears to want to come to the table.
Google is coming. It's early days, but unless Comcast wants to lose out in the long term they're going to have to come up with a plan for a fibre yo the home high speed network, otherwise Google is going to pick off the most lucrative and/ or advantageous markets one at a time, .... though I suspect that Google will up the rate of installation once they get into their stride.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 9:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Google is coming. It's early days, but unless Comcast wants to lose out in the long term they're going to have to come up with a plan for a fibre yo the home high speed network, otherwise Google is going to pick off the most lucrative and/ or advantageous markets one at a time, .... though I suspect that Google will up the rate of installation once they get into their stride.
Google probably covers around 1000 homes right now. They're gonna take decades (remember how many lobbyists Comcast owns to stop Google rolling out to their metro areas?) to even come half way to rivalling the number of drop points Comcast has.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 9:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Google probably covers around 1000 homes right now. They're gonna take decades (remember how many lobbyists Comcast owns to stop Google rolling out to their metro areas?) to even come half way to rivalling the number of drop points Comcast has.
It didn't take decades to install the current copper cable network. It had penetrated relatively rural areas by the mid 1980's and once Google builds up a head of steam their fibre net work will come at least as fast as copper did, and given the depth of Google's pockets, probably a lot faster.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine most people call to cancel their service on these things. I did have to go and hunt the nearest Comcast office (which wasn't nearby, can't even remember where it was now) to return their stuff. However, after my grandmother passed away and I had to cancel her Dish service, they were kind enough to send me a prepaid box to send their stuff back to them.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

TWC are pretty rubbish too. But not much choice in our area, so meh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.