Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving To Usa

Moving To Usa

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 4:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To Usa

Using the VWP seems only of interest to boards such as these, seems of no interest to US authorities, in practice.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

You can't do that. An I-94W is not a visa, thus you can't adjust status, it's simply not possible. You can't "change" status to a visa category either. You must re-enter the country with a visa.

You can, however, with most Visa categories, "adjust" status. For instance B1/B2 allows you to adjust status if i recall.

I would NOT enter the USA on an I-94W and marry if i were you. Unless you like a life of complications....

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
This is exactly what we did ..... The Visa waiver lasts 90 days, once wed apply for a green card. ............... They won't let you leave untill it's all done and dusted.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 5:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
You can't do that. An I-94W is not a visa, thus you can't adjust status, it's simply not possible. You can't "change" status to a visa category either. You must re-enter the country with a visa.
That's strange coz there are people on this very board who happen to have done just that!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can, however, with most Visa categories, "adjust" status. For instance B1/B2 allows you to adjust status if i recall.

I would NOT enter the USA on an I-94W and marry if i were you. Unless you like a life of complications....
I understand adjusting from a visitors visa/vwp is more common than adjusting from a K.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
This is exactly what we did ..... The Visa waiver lasts 90 days, once wed apply for a green card. ............... They won't let you leave untill it's all done and dusted.
You may have done this but it is all by the by ... as the OP has stated in another post hes not yet divorced so is not free to marry ! Not only does USCIS insist that you are legally free to marry before applying for a fiancee visa but so does the LAW.

Get divorced first ..... then think about your visa ........
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

More Utter Bollocks
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 10:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
More Utter Bollocks
seem's to be a lot of that going around lately...