Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving To Usa

Moving To Usa

Old Feb 26th 2006, 2:01 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving To Usa

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Agree!
Will you guys kiss and make up? I'll watch...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 26th 2006, 2:02 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Will you guys kiss and make up? I'll watch...

NC Penguin

And what did you answer to the pimping question?
Old Feb 26th 2006, 3:59 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
Yes, I am sorry, entering the country on VW with intent to stay is perfectly legal. Your right, telling Homeland security you intend to return and then staying is not considered fraudulent entry at all?

I am not saying you cannot change status within the country but it is illegal to enter the country on a VW or B1/B2 with the intention of remaining in the USA.

It is also illegal to tell people to enter on a VW with the intent to remain.
Hubby & I had been married for nearly 4 years when we moved over here. I only had a B1/B2 visa. USAF lied to us about how to go about getting my GC. They bought our tickets (one way) to come to the US permanently. When I went through immigration the man asked me what my intentions were in the US. I told him 'I'm going to file for change of status'. He said, 'Don't tell anyone that, just say you're visiting, what you do once you are in the US has nothing to do with immigration at the p.o.e', he also said 'I've just saved you quite a few hours of questioning.' We said thanx & moved on, we never had a problem.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 12:25 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
Yes, I am sorry, entering the country on VW with intent to stay is perfectly legal. Your right, telling Homeland security you intend to return and then staying is not considered fraudulent entry at all?

I am not saying you cannot change status within the country but it is illegal to enter the country on a VW or B1/B2 with the intention of remaining in the USA.

It is also illegal to tell people to enter on a VW with the intent to remain.
I didn't have the "intent to remain" when I flew over as I had a return ticket.

I only had the intent to remain after my Imigration Lawyer had successfully filed the change of status paperwork. It was the Immigration Lawyer who suggested this method.

If this had not been successful or had not been accomplished within a certain timeframe I would have had to leave anyway to remain within my Visa Waiver requirements.

At that time I had come and gone on a VW for about 4 or 5 years, every time I was on leave from the QE2, both before and after our marriage.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Derbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really nice
Unhappy Re: Moving To Usa

So basically the answer to this is NO i can't do itany faster?..
Anyone know the timescale for re-marrying after divorce in the USA?
Old Feb 26th 2006, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Derbys12
So basically the answer to this is NO i can't do itany faster?..
Anyone know the timescale for re-marrying after divorce in the USA?
in vegas/reno same day i believe or maybe 24 hrs later
Old Feb 26th 2006, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Hubby & I had been married for nearly 4 years when we moved over here. I only had a B1/B2 visa. USAF lied to us about how to go about getting my GC. They bought our tickets (one way) to come to the US permanently. When I went through immigration the man asked me what my intentions were in the US. I told him 'I'm going to file for change of status'. He said, 'Don't tell anyone that, just say you're visiting, what you do once you are in the US has nothing to do with immigration at the p.o.e', he also said 'I've just saved you quite a few hours of questioning.' We said thanx & moved on, we never had a problem.
You were lucky took us months and mountains of paperwork, good old USAF the usual ask one question get 10 different answers !!!
Old Feb 26th 2006, 2:44 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolly
You were lucky took us months and mountains of paperwork, good old USAF the usual ask one question get 10 different answers !!!
It took us months & mountains of paperwork too. From application (I filled in all the paperwork myself) to getting the GC it was about 9 months, I was expecting 2 years, as that's what people were telling me. The Air Force did nothing to help us, they said I couldn't even file until I got to the US (after hubby got out).
Old Feb 26th 2006, 2:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And with that information ICE could revoke your GC ... start packing your bags....
Old Feb 26th 2006, 3:02 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
And with that information ICE could revoke your GC ... start packing your bags....
Ah. Ray, the not so proverbial "ray of sunshine" has arrived to ruin a Sunday!

NC Penguin
Old Feb 26th 2006, 3:04 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Ray
With pleasure!!!

It was an immigration guy at the airport that gave me that bit of info!!!
Old Feb 26th 2006, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

With pleasure!!!

He did you a MEGA favour, perhaps he was ex Air Force.

Most people would have been on the next flight home.

I would keep very quite about it.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 3:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

With pleasure!!!
USCIS is under no obligation to give you truthful advice ...
that is not a defence ... keep packing ...
Old Feb 26th 2006, 3:27 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Boiler
He did you a MEGA favour, perhaps he was ex Air Force.

Most people would have been on the next flight home.

I would keep very quite about it.
Okay, not quite sure why it's so important. We were married, I came in on a B1/B2 visa, we put in our application within the time allotted. We told them the truth when we came in.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 3:30 pm
Ray

Okay, not quite sure why it's so important. We were married, I came in on a B1/B2 visa, we put in our application within the time allotted. We told them the truth when we came in.
You came in on a non immigrant visa with the intent of marriage
That is illegal ...

PS.. take all those ornaments with you ... I always hated them ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.