British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving To US from UK with 14 year old (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-us-uk-14-year-old-925063/)

lizzyq May 19th 2019 5:39 pm

Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12685622)
That sounds vaguely disrespectful of Steveq. :unsure:

I have it in writing that he is an alien of extraordinary ability :blink:

Pulaski May 19th 2019 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 12685938)
I have it in writing that he is an alien of extraordinary ability :blink:

Watch out for the Men in Black! :eek:

lizzyq May 19th 2019 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12685965)
Watch out for the Men in Black! :eek:

Ooh, are they going to bring me Milk Tray?

Pulaski May 19th 2019 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 12685968)
Ooh, are they going to bring me Milk Tray?

I don't think so. :unsure:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...f82b4b08f2.jpg

Octang Frye May 20th 2019 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12685455)
Partner? Unless you are married, there is no visa she/he can obtain from your job. And if you are married, she/he will be unable to work on the H-4 derivative visa.

This! I was done thinking the self same thing, hunny chile.

JulesR69 May 21st 2019 8:35 am

Interview is scheduled for next week so thanks to all your comments I will have lots of questions about the Visa. Yes, I know we will need to be married. My partner doesn't work in the UK and does not want to work in the US. I've been looking at the EB-2 Visa, is that also an option? Have been reading through all the threads in the Visa section to get more info. I have a masters degree and 25 years post degree experience.

GeneralPowerpoint May 21st 2019 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by JulesR69 (Post 12686733)
Interview is scheduled for next week so thanks to all your comments I will have lots of questions about the Visa. Yes, I know we will need to be married. My partner doesn't work in the UK and does not want to work in the US. I've been looking at the EB-2 Visa, is that also an option? Have been reading through all the threads in the Visa section to get more info. I have a masters degree and 25 years post degree experience.

EB-2 is a long process. Probably not something that can happen this year.

is the interview with the immigration lawyers?

JulesR69 May 21st 2019 12:37 pm

No, interview is with the company. They asked me to formally apply for the position, which I did yesterday.

GeneralPowerpoint May 21st 2019 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by JulesR69 (Post 12686849)
No, interview is with the company. They asked me to formally apply for the position, which I did yesterday.

Oh I see.

Well I’d ask them in the interview which visa they propose. Frankly, I’d consider it something of a red flag if they have not already consulted with an immigration lawyer as to the feasibility of employing foreign applicants before they invite them in for interview.

JulesR69 May 21st 2019 12:50 pm

Telephone 'chat' at this stage. I will definitely be asking lots of questions about visas.

christmasoompa May 21st 2019 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by JulesR69 (Post 12686733)
I've been looking at the EB-2 Visa, is that also an option?

It's an option if the company are happy to go down that route. Be prepared for them not to be though, a lot of companies wouldn't be happy with you going straight to a 'green card' as then it means you're not tied to them and are free to go and work elsewhere. But definitely worth asking about.

Good luck with the interview, hopefully they have the visa side of things all in hand and are happy to wait until Oct next year for you, or have a Plan B up their sleeve! Hope it goes well.