British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving To US from UK with 14 year old (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-us-uk-14-year-old-925063/)

JulesR69 May 18th 2019 12:57 pm

Moving To US from UK with 14 year old
 
Hello.
I'm currently in the process of applying for a job in the US where the company will provide me with a H-1B visa and the appropriate visas for my son and partner. Should I be offered the position, then I'm trying to determine what would be the best option for my son, in terms of his education. He's currently at an excellent school in the UK, which offers boarding and I'm reluctant to disrupt his education until I know for sure that the job/location/schooling opportunities in the US is right for all of us. I'm looking at being located in/around Austin or somewhere on the East coast of Florida, around Miami. My question is, of the below 3 options, what are the pros and cons of each?

1. Board at current school and move across after GCSEs. This was originally my preferred option as it gives us plenty of time, however from reading other threads, sounds like this might be the worst option because if he wanted to get into college in the US, he would not have sufficient GPA. Is that correct?
2. Board at current school until end of year and move across in December. Downside is he will miss out first few months, but would that affect his GPA and potential US college admission?
3. Board at current school until he's done his A levels and then decide if he wants to move across to US and go to college or remain in UK. How would that affect his college admission?

I would be aiming for us all to get green cards at some stage, but obviously if my son wanted to go to university in the UK, then this would be a no go because then he would not be eligible for a student loan. Really appreciate your feedback on the above, thank you!

christmasoompa May 18th 2019 1:05 pm

Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old
 
Hi, welcome to BE.

Definitely worth thinking about it if he thinks he may wish to return to the UK for university. It's not just the student loans that are an issue, he'll also potentially not qualify for home tuition rates so would be much more expensive.

If he's already boarding and happy with that, then personally I'd wait until after GCSE's to move him. Option 2 wouldn't be an option unless the company qualify for a cap exempt H1-B - earliest you'd be able to move normally would be Oct 2020 now (if lucky enough to be selected in the lottery system, I think it's about a 1 in 4 chance or similar).

Do make sure you get green cards written in to your contract if you want the company to sort those for you, often they're reluctant as it will mean you're free to go and work for somebody else once you have them.

Edit: I think it's forum member 'petitefrancaise' who has posted extensively about her experience of moving with teens of a similar age, might be worth hunting for her posts.

Best of luck with it.

Nutmegger May 18th 2019 1:44 pm

Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old
 

Originally Posted by JulesR69 (Post 12685442)
Hello.
I'm currently in the process of applying for a job in the US where the company will provide me with a H-1B visa and the appropriate visas for my son and partner. Should I be offered the position, then I'm trying to determine what would be the best option for my son, in terms of his education. He's currently at an excellent school in the UK, which offers boarding and I'm reluctant to disrupt his education until I know for sure that the job/location/schooling opportunities in the US is right for all of us. I'm looking at being located in/around Austin or somewhere on the East coast of Florida, around Miami. My question is, of the below 3 options, what are the pros and cons of each?

1. Board at current school and move across after GCSEs. This was originally my preferred option as it gives us plenty of time, however from reading other threads, sounds like this might be the worst option because if he wanted to get into college in the US, he would not have sufficient GPA. Is that correct?
2. Board at current school until end of year and move across in December. Downside is he will miss out first few months, but would that affect his GPA and potential US college admission?
3. Board at current school until he's done his A levels and then decide if he wants to move across to US and go to college or remain in UK. How would that affect his college admission?

I would be aiming for us all to get green cards at some stage, but obviously if my son wanted to go to university in the UK, then this would be a no go because then he would not be eligible for a student loan. Really appreciate your feedback on the above, thank you!

Partner? Unless you are married, there is no visa she/he can obtain from your job. And if you are married, she/he will be unable to work on the H-4 derivative visa.

markcst May 18th 2019 1:58 pm

Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old
 
Firstly be sure of his age at moving and your arrival date. H1Bs are now at issuance for 2020 and normally you can’t start work here (residence which is important for schools) until October of the year is issued

I moved with a 14 year old. He was in state school and top of his class. Brilliant at science.

We had bumps but it’s turned out great.

we visited the local schools for our kids including the high school, ultimately that picked where we lived here in Dallas. There is a lot of choice. It meant a longer commute for me of 40 minutes, but he and my daughter were happy with the choices.

Then we had the joy of registering them. Texas is almost nazi about jabs and immunizations. We did bring their records but for my daughter she had to have a few re-immunizations because the dates didn’t match what Texas wanted. That saw her out of school for a few weeks as we were advised to space them out.

For my son he started midterm in October and was automatically put in catchup classes. They thought he was behind. No one told him what to do in these computer based classes and guess what he did the whole year in the remaining six weeks. So he ended up ahead.

So those were the bumps. As it happens he graduated top of the school, a very very good and well funded school and got into University of Texas at Dallas to study physics where he is now.

It didn’t matter what qualifications he had for University as they can all cope with international qualifications, but having a high school diploma has helped him a few times with part time jobs here. He’s now in the top 10% of UTD students on the Deans List and doing well. As residents of Texas we pay $12k a year for his degree. And get a tax break of $1000 on that.

My daughter is now at the same high school and also doing well as high schools in Texas have vocational routes and that suits her.

It is very easy to be dismissive of schools here, but if you research with boots on the ground, like we did having a vacation here before commitment, you’d be fine.

Personally I think the exposure to other ways, means and cultures is good for kids. And if you stay more than a few years you’re too far to help them with bumps if they are not near. Yes you can fly, but that’s three days out minimum and vacation time in the us is precious. You’ll get less than in the us and have to use some of it for stupid things you don’t now.

good luck!


Pulaski May 18th 2019 8:28 pm

Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old
 

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12685455)
Partner? Unless you are married, there is no visa she/he can obtain from your job. ...

Well there's a cohabitating B-2, but that's even worse than an H-4 as she'd be a total non-person, and it is unlikely that most states would even give her a regular driving license - she might get one of those that illegal immigrants can get.

In any case, as already discussed above, unless the job is with some sort or educational or research establishment, you won't be starting work before October 2020, and that's if you're in the 25%-40% that is lucky enough to get offered a visa.

JulesR69 May 18th 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old
 
Thanks so much for your replies. I've been informed by the company that the Visa is not a problem. My partner doesn't work in the UK (retired fire officer) but yes I believe we will need to be married. My main concern at the moment is my son's education as ultimately that will determine if I take the job.

Noorah101 May 18th 2019 9:50 pm

Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old
 

Originally Posted by JulesR69 (Post 12685563)
Thanks so much for your replies. I've been informed by the company that the Visa is not a problem.

It's definitely not a problem for the company to petition for you (assuming you and the job qualify), but there is no way they can guarantee that you'll get the visa.

Rene


chawkins99 May 18th 2019 10:08 pm

Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old
 
Is your partner, the father of your son? If not, you must obtain permission from the father to take him abroad.

I'm making an assumption you are the mother as that is not clear.

Pulaski May 18th 2019 10:57 pm

Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old
 

Originally Posted by JulesR69 (Post 12685563)
Thanks so much for your replies. I've been informed by the company that the Visa is not a problem. ....

Unfortunately we see cases from time to time where the company doesn't realize how difficult it can be to get a visa for a prospective employee. ..... unless, as previously mentioned the company is an educational or research company. Is that the case?

JulesR69 May 18th 2019 11:12 pm

Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old
 
I was approached by the company as I have 25 years experience in a niche market. They know I'm British. You may be right about the Visa, in which case the move won't happen. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible at this stage regarding the education system. Really appreciate all your comments as this gives me a lot more info. I can see this won't be easy, but then anything worthwhile is never easy!

GeneralPowerpoint May 18th 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old
 

Originally Posted by JulesR69 (Post 12685579)
I was approached by the company as I have 25 years experience in a niche market. They know I'm British. You may be right about the Visa, in which case the move won't happen. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible at this stage regarding the education system. Really appreciate all your comments as this gives me a lot more info. I can see this won't be easy, but then anything worthwhile is never easy!

Unfortunately I don't think it's a case of maybe being right.

The H-1B deadline for this year closed in April. Unless it's a cap exempt institution, i.e. a non-profit or educational, working on an H-1B isn't possible now until October 2020.

lizzyq May 18th 2019 11:44 pm

Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old
 

Originally Posted by JulesR69 (Post 12685579)
I was approached by the company as I have 25 years experience in a niche market. They know I'm British. You may be right about the Visa, in which case the move won't happen. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible at this stage regarding the education system. Really appreciate all your comments as this gives me a lot more info. I can see this won't be easy, but then anything worthwhile is never easy!

With that type of experience has the company considered an O-1 visa? Although they can appear unobtainable for ordinary mortals I can assure you that they are not, but a good immigration attorney with sound experience in applying for O visas is a must.

Boiler May 19th 2019 12:02 am

Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old
 
Could be several years before you come up in the lottery so a bit difficult to be specific as you do not know how old the child will be by then

Pulaski May 19th 2019 1:36 am

Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old
 

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 12685597)
With that type of experience has the company considered an O-1 visa? Although they can appear unobtainable for ordinary mortals I can assure you that they are not, ....

That sounds vaguely disrespectful of Steveq. :unsure:

petitefrancaise May 19th 2019 4:43 am

Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old
 
I can't speak for Miami but Austin is very international with some very good high schools in the northwest of the city. There's no perfect time to move teens to a completely different education system. Whether your son stays and finishes GCSEs in the UK really depends on how close it is to the end of the courses and how you all feel about that. Getting GPA credit for coursework already done in the UK is possible and 2 of the better high schools have now stopped reporting rank in class below the mandatory top 10% anyway. Maybe look at the IB Diploma, that may be an easier transition for him for a few reasons.
Anyway, I wouldn't turn down the job offer due to worries about schooling. Happy to help more when you know for sure when you are coming.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:47 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.