Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to US (pending Covid)

Moving to US (pending Covid)

Old Jul 28th 2021, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to US (pending Covid)

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
If the office is LIC, you would be better off looking to live in Queens -- LIC itself, Astoria, Jackson Heights, will all be more affordable than the places you initially cited.
Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
Hi - I was in your shoes 20 years ago, coming over to NYC on an L1 and not too much of an idea what I was letting myself in for. $70k is doable, but you will not be able to get anything for $1.6k in the areas you are looking at. You may get a studio apartment near Long Island City for that, but your best bet is looking for an apartment share. In my day, Craigslist was the place to look, but I'm not sure where the cool kids go now. The vast majority of apartments are unfurnished, but you can join a freecycle group or a Buy Nothing Facebook group where people give away pretty nice furniture. And there's always IKEA.
Listen to these posts! If you're going to be based in LIC, in will only be massive pain to live in Manhattan or Brooklyn. Queens is definitely your best bet. I am in Astoria, which is great! Seriously, I wouldn't live anywhere else. Sunnyside or Woodside would be even closer for you -- look along the 7 train. LIC itself is full of over-priced, poor-quality new builds, so I personally wouldn't both with that, but prices may have come down.

If you want to keep start-up costs down, look for a room in a shared apartment. And yes, Craigslist is still great for that! There are numerous apps and "roommate finder" services now as well, which I personally think are pretty suspect, but YMMV. In many cases, there may even be some furniture in the room, which again saves you money/hassle.

Just so you know, vacancies around here are really high right now. A LOT of people have left the city due to the pandemic, many of them just leaving behind a variety of furnishings. So it's not a bad time to be looking, as you will probably have a choice of several options, with varying levels of usable furniture.

Rent-wise, you could get a studio for $1,600 in Sunnyside or Astoria, or probably even a 1-bedroom; check StreetEasy. You could get a really nice room in a shared place in the same areas for $1,000-1,200. (Remember, the latter will represent substantial savings in both start-up costs and ongoing costs, esp. internet.)

If you are young and single and make a reasonable choice of living situation (i.e., don't burn all your money on a Manhattan apartment), I think you can do just fine on that salary. You won't be dining at Michelin-starred restaurants, but you can certainly be comfortable and enjoy the city.

If you have any questions, just let me know

ETA: Obviously, this is a snapshot of what is going on right now. I have no idea what will be happening by the time of your move. But the advice about living in Queens definitely won't change!

Last edited by retzie; Jul 28th 2021 at 1:46 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2021, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Red127 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by retzie
Listen to these posts! If you're going to be based in LIC, in will only be massive pain to live in Manhattan or Brooklyn. Queens is definitely your best bet. I am in Astoria, which is great! Seriously, I wouldn't live anywhere else. Sunnyside or Woodside would be even closer for you -- look along the 7 train. LIC itself is full of over-priced, poor-quality new builds, so I personally wouldn't both with that, but prices may have come down.

If you want to keep start-up costs down, look for a room in a shared apartment. And yes, Craigslist is still great for that! There are numerous apps and "roommate finder" services now as well, which I personally think are pretty suspect, but YMMV. In many cases, there may even be some furniture in the room, which again saves you money/hassle.

Just so you know, vacancies around here are really high right now. A LOT of people have left the city due to the pandemic, many of them just leaving behind a variety of furnishings. So it's not a bad time to be looking, as you will probably have a choice of several options, with varying levels of usable furniture.

Rent-wise, you could get a studio for $1,600 in Sunnyside or Astoria, or probably even a 1-bedroom. You could get a really nice room in a shared place in the same areas for $1,000-1,200. (Remember, the latter will represent substantial savings in both start-up costs and ongoing costs, esp. internet.)

If you are young and single and make a reasonable choice of living situation (i.e., don't burn all your money on a Manhattan apartment), I think you can do just fine on that salary. You won't be dining at Michelin starred restaurants, but you can certainly be comfortable and enjoy the city.

If you have any questions, just let me know
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it!

Unfortunately I confirmed an earlier posters point that L1B visas are delayed until spring next year and getting later and later.

Basically decided to forget about it for 12 months (and likely beyond that). Moment feels like it’s passed, so moving back to London and see where I am in 12 months time.

thanks for all the advise though
Old Jul 28th 2021, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Red127 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

Can’t help with most of your questions, but if it’s an L1 and you haven’t had an interview, there’s no way you’ll be able to get out there for Sept IMO. We were supposed to be moving in July originally (also on L1) , then it got pushed back to next spring with an interview in early 2022 (the earliest date we could get with the huge backlog). But the US embassy has just cancelled all non-immigrant visa interviews from 1st August onwards, so now I reckon we’re looking at summer 2022 at the earliest.

Whereabouts will you be working or need to commute to? If you can give people that info, forum members around NYC may be able to suggest some other areas for you to look at.

Your salary seems low for an international relocation and NYC? Might be worth searching the forum to find relevant threads with cost of living in. And do find out more info on what you’ll have to pay toward healthcare - what your US colleagues think is ‘not too bad’ you might think is the opposite if you’re used to the NHS! That could take a chunk of your salary and you’ll definitely need to factor it in.

Best of luck, hope you can get out there ASAP.
If anyone else is looking at this thread with same move in mind, this point about visas is 100% correct unfortunately - March 2022 is your best timing.
Old Jul 29th 2021, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red127
Basically decided to forget about it for 12 months (and likely beyond that). Moment feels like it’s passed, so moving back to London and see where I am in 12 months time.
Bah, sorry to hear that. If it comes back on the agenda, by all means stop back in. It sounds like it would be fun!
Old Aug 1st 2021, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the moment has passed, at least for now, but I want to second a recommendation I saw in the thread - consider sharing a place in the beginning. I came to San Francisco from London back in the 80s and I only got a couple of weeks in a hotel from my company (and no relocation lump sum or allowance). So I quickly looked for 'roommates' (that was the US term back then). I found a lovely apartment with a fun lady within days and stayed there a year. Then once I got settled at work, I met many people who were cool to live with, and moved in with them. I hear rents are dropping fast in cities like NY and SF due to Covid and all the 'work from home' stuff (allowing people to move out of the expensive areas altogether).

Good luck in the future - hope it works for you!
Old Aug 1st 2021, 1:31 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Sounds like the moment has passed, at least for now, but I want to second a recommendation I saw in the thread - consider sharing a place in the beginning. I came to San Francisco from London back in the 80s and I only got a couple of weeks in a hotel from my company (and no relocation lump sum or allowance). So I quickly looked for 'roommates' (that was the US term back then). I found a lovely apartment with a fun lady within days and stayed there a year. Then once I got settled at work, I met many people who were cool to live with, and moved in with them. I hear rents are dropping fast in cities like NY and SF due to Covid and all the 'work from home' stuff (allowing people to move out of the expensive areas altogether).

Good luck in the future - hope it works for you!
Where are you hearing rents are dropping, I am about to list my rental again in NYC (Williamsburg). My tenants of 5+ years are buying a house in the area and my realtor has recommended an almost 10% increase in the monthly rent when we list it. His words were that the market has been “on fire” to the point that it’s uncomfortable and he shuts down the listing after he has 30 or so inquiries. Many of the big employers especially in banking are starting to tell their employees they need to be back in person at least 3+ days a week so living in upstate NY or VT will be a long commute…

Old Aug 1st 2021, 2:13 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Where are you hearing rents are dropping, I am about to list my rental again in NYC (Williamsburg). My tenants of 5+ years are buying a house in the area and my realtor has recommended an almost 10% increase in the monthly rent when we list it. His words were that the market has been “on fire” to the point that it’s uncomfortable and he shuts down the listing after he has 30 or so inquiries. Many of the big employers especially in banking are starting to tell their employees they need to be back in person at least 3+ days a week so living in upstate NY or VT will be a long commute…

NYT recently reported that the bottom seems to have been reached, and rents are starting to gain momentum. "After months of record price cuts and concessions, New York City’s rental market appears to be turning the corner, but it could be at least a year before prices return to their pre-Covid peak, according to two new reports."

NY Rents Appear Close to Bottom
Old Aug 1st 2021, 2:36 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
NYT recently reported that the bottom seems to have been reached, and rents are starting to gain momentum. "After months of record price cuts and concessions, New York City’s rental market appears to be turning the corner, but it could be at least a year before prices return to their pre-Covid peak, according to two new reports."

NY Rents Appear Close to Bottom

Yess that article is over a month old now… at present it’s looking like the tenant will pay the broker fee and I won’t need to offer concessions, but these things can change quickly.

A lot is also dependent on specific areas and features. As a 1.5 bed what was previously a negative (more space and higher cost) is now a positive, people’s are looking for a home office / guest space. Private outdoor space is always a winner in the city, but the option for a dedicated indoor parking space is in higher demand now than when I last let it in 2016.

Right now the pressure is on to get it repainted and have the floors refinished in a 2 week window to have it move in ready before 1st September. Also looking at new appliances to give it a new build feel, but will have to see if they have a long lead time like last year.

The other big change is pets. I am no longer allowed to ask for an additional months deposit to allow a pet, so now I either have to not allow pets or charge a pet fee of 1/12 of a months rent for the first 12 months… so essentially a rule to protect renters ends up costing them more…

Last edited by tht; Aug 1st 2021 at 2:39 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Here's one of many stories I'm seeing on the subject: https://www.kron4.com/news/real-esta...to-drop-in-sf/
"According to Zumper National Rent Report for March 2021, the median 1-bedroom price in SF decreased by 24.3% since last year."
Interestingly, the linked article - https://www.zumper.com/blog/rental-price-data/ appears to have been updated and is now singing a different tune! But it does appear that SF/Bay Area is unusually hard-hit - "Aside from the Bay Area, it’s hard to find an entire metro area where rent is down across the board." Since the Bay Area is home to the most expensive rents, and is also home to the most tech companies, it makes some sense because tech companies were the most 'generous' when it came to work-from-home allowances. "The San Francisco Bay Area stands out in this regard for a number of reasons. Despite gains over the course of 2021, San Francisco median one-bedroom rent is down 15 percent year-over-year and fell in July by 2.5 percent compared to the previous month." As for NYC: "New York City has seen much more growth than its West Coast counterpart. After posting a 4.3 percent month-over-month gain in median one-bedroom rent in July, NYC is now down just 5.6 percent compared to a year ago, and 11 of the 14 New York metro cities Zumper tracks remain down year-over-year."

Personally, I suspect things will soon return to 'normal' and most people will be back in the office.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 5:57 pm
tht

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Here's one of many stories I'm seeing on the subject: https://www.kron4.com/news/real-esta...to-drop-in-sf/
"According to Zumper National Rent Report for March 2021, the median 1-bedroom price in SF decreased by 24.3% since last year."
Interestingly, the linked article - https://www.zumper.com/blog/rental-price-data/ appears to have been updated and is now singing a different tune! But it does appear that SF/Bay Area is unusually hard-hit - "Aside from the Bay Area, it’s hard to find an entire metro area where rent is down across the board." Since the Bay Area is home to the most expensive rents, and is also home to the most tech companies, it makes some sense because tech companies were the most 'generous' when it came to work-from-home allowances. "The San Francisco Bay Area stands out in this regard for a number of reasons. Despite gains over the course of 2021, San Francisco median one-bedroom rent is down 15 percent year-over-year and fell in July by 2.5 percent compared to the previous month." As for NYC: "New York City has seen much more growth than its West Coast counterpart. After posting a 4.3 percent month-over-month gain in median one-bedroom rent in July, NYC is now down just 5.6 percent compared to a year ago, and 11 of the 14 New York metro cities Zumper tracks remain down year-over-year."

Personally, I suspect things will soon return to 'normal' and most people will be back in the office.
Tech lends itself more to remote working than finance and a number of other sectors.

The average rates also hide the details. One area / price point can be down while another is up. I had a friends daughter who started NYU last year and got an amazing deal, what she was paying in monthly rent maybe covered the building amenities and tax… but I guess for the developer some money was better than none.

The really telling sign is if you have to go “no fee” or give free months.

I also only raised the rent on my place once in 5 years for the last tenants, so I was back at 2016 rates anyway…

Old Aug 2nd 2021, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tht
I was on the market for a new rental in July and prices are still seriously down in my part of Queens. There were so many places with no fee that I could restrict my search by that and still have a huge number of (good) options. Several were also offering a month's free rent; Hallets Point were offering FIVE MONTHS free rent, which I thought was hilarious.

So it seems there is a huge amount of variation. No doubt the prevailing demographics play a big role. My neighborhood is popular among service industry/creative types, and many of them still have no real work opportunities in sight. Whereas, I hear the tech bros have decided it is boring up in Westchester (or wherever else they have been hiding), and are all flocking back. I'm guessing they are the ones in the market for Williamsburg.

Disclaimer: I stopped looking when I found a place a couple of weeks ago, so I don't know if a new upward trend has emerged since.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 12:31 am
tht

I was on the market for a new rental in July and prices are still seriously down in my part of Queens. There were so many places with no fee that I could restrict my search by that and still have a huge number of (good) options. Several were also offering a month's free rent; Hallets Point were offering FIVE MONTHS free rent, which I thought was hilarious.

So it seems there is a huge amount of variation. No doubt the prevailing demographics play a big role. My neighborhood is popular among service industry/creative types, and many of them still have no real work opportunities in sight. Whereas, I hear the tech bros have decided it is boring up in Westchester (or wherever else they have been hiding), and are all flocking back. I'm guessing they are the ones in the market for Williamsburg.

Disclaimer: I stopped looking when I found a place a couple of weeks ago, so I don't know if a new upward trend has emerged since.
Yes ideally we will get another tech bro... 5+ years of on time rent and minimal requests is pretty ideal from a landlords perspective..
Old Sep 7th 2021, 3:42 pm
tht

well I can report the the market at least last week is/was crazy in Williamsburg. I got my first application before the one and only open house and then 6 more well qualified ones the day of the open house that paid to run credit and background checks.

I accepted an offer (not a tech bro) and before I even had the lease out, 2 of the other applicants contacted me direct after finding out they were not selected, and one offered $100’s a month more in rent than the one I had accepted. Call me old school, but my word is my bond, and my new tenant has no pets so that’s less wear on the floor. NY changed the law to restrict upfront rent payments and limited the deposit to 1 month. This will limit my ability to rent to people with less vanilla credit history, these changes in general may make it harder for people on visa’s to secure a rental.