Reload this Page >

Applying for USA citizenship for my son

Applying for USA citizenship for my son

Old Sep 3rd 2021, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Lynch21usa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for USA citizenship for my son

Hello all.

Just a little background info.. I am married to an American citizen. We have been married for 10 years & have a 9 year old son together.

we lived together in the U.K. for years until my husband returned to the USA to look for work as we are wanting to settle there. Then along came Covid.

Basically we have not seen my husband now for 2 years & are still Unable to travel due to Covid restrictions. Our intentions have always been to settle in America but we have never applied for my sons citizenship nor a visa for me to reside there.

we are now wanting to start this process as I know it can be lengthy so I have found This forum and hope I may get some advice.

I have looked into applying for my sons citizenship & have the forms etc I need to complete but I have a question

- does my husband have to be present when I take the relevant documents etc ? He is obviously in America so has his passport there etc . I am not sure how to go about it ? Can he take his documents somewhere in America and I take mine & my sons here ??

Any advice will be much appreciated

thank you

X
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 12:18 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for USA citizenship for my son

Welcome to BE!

Basically we have not seen my husband now for 2 years & are still Unable to travel due to Covid restrictions

Well no. Not really. You could meet in Mexico. Not wanting to travel is not the same as being unable to travel.

I have looked into applying for my sons citizenship & have the forms etc I need to complete but I have a question
Unless you believe that the father was not entitled to pass on his citizenship at birth due to residence, you don't need to 'apply' for anything. Your son IS a USC. What you do need to do is register a birth abroad if you did not already. The process is here: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...th-abroad.html

In terms of applying for his passport, it is the normal process for someone residing overseas. You will need to have the CRBA (above) to do that. Process is here: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...utside-us.html

Last edited by civilservant; Sep 3rd 2021 at 12:23 pm. Reason: Added Links
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 2:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This is the correct method for you to follow to obtain your son's US passport. You need to establish is US citizenship by registering his birth abroad and then once received just apply for his first passport. This is exactly how I obtained my proof of US citizenship and my first passport. I had a foreign mother but a US Citizen father and was born in Germany.

Just a question about the father. Was he born on US soil and has he lived in the US for a period while under the age of 14 and at least 2 years after the age of 14? This will enable him to pass on his US Citizenship to his children.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 2:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Well no. Not really. You could meet in Mexico. Not wanting to travel is not the same as being unable to travel.
Isn’t s/he exempt from the travel ban anyway as the spouse of a USC (and child too if not already a USC)?

Can’t see any reason why they’ve not been able to travel tbh.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Isn’t s/he exempt from the travel ban anyway as the spouse of a USC (and child too if not already a USC)?

I was wondering the same, ban does not apply to spouses or USC's.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 3:15 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent point!

There really is no reason they have not seen each other in so long, at least not from a restriction perspective.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the same....the bans have not been applicable to spouses/schildren of US citizens
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynch21usa
Hello all.

- does my husband have to be present when I take the relevant documents etc ? He is obviously in America so has his passport there etc . I am not sure how to go about it ? Can he take his documents somewhere in America and I take mine & my sons here ??

thank you

X
What is it you are wanting to do - register his birth with the US Embassy (can you even do this when he is 9) or apply for his US passport - if his father can pass on his citizenship to his son, then the boy was automatically a US citizen

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...th-abroad.html

Old Sep 4th 2021, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete

This is the correct method for you to follow to obtain your son's US passport. You need to establish is US citizenship by registering his birth abroad and then once received just apply for his first passport. This is exactly how I obtained my proof of US citizenship and my first passport. I had a foreign mother but a US Citizen father and was born in Germany.

Just a question about the father. Was he born on US soil and has he lived in the US for a period while under the age of 14 and at least 2 years after the age of 14? This will enable him to pass on his US Citizenship to his children.
thank you for your reply . Yes he has lived in America the majority of his life . He lived in U.K. for 6 year when he was 25-31 but been back in America now for 3 years in total
Old Sep 4th 2021, 10:22 am
Just Joined

I believe he is exempt ans able to travel yes but he only has a British passport not an American one. Not only that but my son is autistic and very aware of Covid and is anxious to travel this is another reason we haven’t been . Covid is a concern but I am hoping the risks will settle over next few months
Old Sep 4th 2021, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
I was wondering the same, ban does not apply to spouses or USC's.
so am I able to travel with my son on our British passports if we show proof of marriage to american citizen etc ?
Old Sep 4th 2021, 10:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

so am I able to travel with my son on our British passports if we show proof of marriage to american citizen etc ?
You can. Your son is a US citizen though from what you've said so will need his US passport to enter on.

Or if your son is anxious and doesn't want to travel, can't your husband come and visit you?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 4th 2021 at 10:32 am.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No,... you need his US passport to travel. With a British passport you have to have an ESTA and, since he is a US citizen, that is not applicable to him. You need to get his US passport.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thank you for your reply . Yes he has lived in America the majority of his life . He lived in U.K. for 6 year when he was 25-31 but been back in America now for 3 years in total
Is your husband a dual US/UK citizen ie. he obtained his UK citizenship when living in the UK?. If he only had Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) then that will have lapsed.....
Old Sep 4th 2021, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all.

Just a little background info.. I am married to an American citizen. We have been married for 10 years & have a 9 year old son together.

we lived together in the U.K. for years until my husband returned to the USA to look for work as we are wanting to settle there. Then along came Covid.

Basically we have not seen my husband now for 2 years & are still Unable to travel due to Covid restrictions. Our intentions have always been to settle in America but we have never applied for my sons citizenship nor a visa for me to reside there.

we are now wanting to start this process as I know it can be lengthy so I have found This forum and hope I may get some advice.

thank you

X
Or just go to the United States and apply for son's US passport once there. However if birth not registered at consulate abroad, if your application comes across desk of ill-informed immigration officer, you may need to get a certificate of citizenship (not naturalization) (however you proceed not a bad idea to have the certificate).

If you apply for passport in the UK which I think would be preferred route, you wil need your husband to sign notarized consent form an send to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.