Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US oppinions regarding health insurance

Moving to the US oppinions regarding health insurance

Old Jul 27th 2012, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US oppinions regarding health insurance

Group health plans can't ask you about anything you haven't had treatment for or advice given outside the last 6 months. Pre-existing condition is clearly defined under HIPAA and that's all they can ask about. Even then, they cannot deny a claim if the service/drug/whatever is covered under the plan you are on, the only thing they can do is make you wait for a period of up to 12 months after you start you job before they cover anything related to a pre-existing condition. However, if your coverage starts within 64 days of leaving the UK, you can credit time covered under the NHS towards that 12 month period.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the123
Thanks for this.

It's very likely I will be covered by group insurance, I certainly don't plan on heading straight down the doctors when I get there either.

Obviously I have been sponsored to go out there and will start relatively high up the food chain in the company so hope that if I do get hit by a car they wont go digging for a reason not to pay out.

Here in the UK we can request to have to have alterations made to our records provided they don't have clinical significance, as mine don't given the investigations showed nothing more than I am a healthy adult.

That being said I know "being in the industry" that such investigations on my records, despite not leading to anything, raise an unwanted red flag. I don't want to have to pay 500 dollars more a month for healthcare because my shoulder hurt for a bit after a bit of a bump.
You may be 'high up on food chain' with your employers...but you will be small fry to the insurance company.

I agree with Lansbury...full disclosure...or it may come back to bite you in the arse for something relatively minor in US terms (think of a few tens of thousands dollars).
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, when signing up for our employer group insurance policies throughout the years, the form only asks for name/address/dependent names/birth dates, social security numbers - basically contact details. I've never seen anything that asks for medical history when signing up for a group insurance, and I don't think they can. Private policies are a different matter entirely.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:48 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

The OP must get full details of health insurance and benefits before coming to the USA. There is an enormous range of health insurance plans in the US. Things to find out are your monthly premium, the employer should pay around 75% of the total premium leaving you to pay 25%, what is the annual deductible and out of pocket maximum, what are the co pays and what is covered.

Tp come to the US without a thorough understanding of your health insurance would be foolish and in the worst of worlds, very expensive.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 5:52 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

A common mis understanding:
I have a company /group plan, and feel lucky for it. I pay about $50 a month in premiums.

However: Deductible is $1500 ,and out of pocket is $5k, so if I end up injured I will still have to pay several $k upfront..