Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US but have debts in the UK

Wikiposts

Moving to the US but have debts in the UK

Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:20 am
Just Joined

Cory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to the US but have debts in the UK

I see I can apply for the CR-1 visa which will allow me to have a green card in the US by which means I can work
Old Feb 17th 2013, 5:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cory82
I am getting married in the uk to my fiancée who is american, and for her to live here she needs a spouse visa...
This part is very confusing. Why? Because a moment ago you wrote, "I am moving to the US". So, which is it? Are you moving to the US or is she moving to the UK? Please be specific... because the words "here" and "there" are totally ambiguous.

But because I have debt and I earn enough to pay my debts I don't think I can apply for bankruptcy...
It sounds as though you just don't want to pay your debt. Shame on you! Pay your damn debts. As far as you moving to the US, your finances are irrelevant... but perhaps you didn't know that!

Ian
Old Feb 17th 2013, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Cory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really nice

Yeah I do want to pay my debts but I might not be able to pay them if I have to move to the states unless I can work when I go there
Old Feb 17th 2013, 5:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I do want to pay my debts...
Good. Pay them before you leave.

... but I might not be able to pay them if I have to move to the states unless I can work when I go there
You don't need permission to work to pay your existing debts. I don't understand why you don't understand that. You say you have enough money to pay your debts... well, pay them.

Ian
Old Feb 17th 2013, 5:52 am
Just Joined

I would have enough money to pay them if I was working here but I am going to be living in the states so if I can't work I won't be able to pay my debts, seriously I can't believe you can't understand that. It don't matter as I have got my answer
Old Feb 17th 2013, 5:59 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I would have enough money to pay them if I was working here but I am going to be living in the states so if I can't work I won't be able to pay my debts, seriously I can't believe you can't understand that. It don't matter as I have got my answer
Sounds like you want people on a web forum to approve of you welshing-out on your debts. If you can't afford to pay them when in the US ....... you can't afford to get hitched and move to the US! Pretty simple really.

Suggest you work and save more in the UK, so you can continue to service your debts for 6 months whilst not earning in the US.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

1. Your debts will not have any bearing on getting your visa.

2. If you default on your UK debts, they will likely be sent to a collection agency and hurt your UK credit score but not your US credit score (you initially won't have a credit history when you enter the US).

3. It will be difficult if not impossible for the collection agency to collect the debts through the US court system since the US courts will unlikely have jurisdiction. The collection agency may send threatening letters or make threating calls but those are very likely idle threats.

4. Debts are civil and therefore the sheriff will not get involved even though a collection agency may threaten to send the sheriff to take a debtor in jail.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:28 am
Account Closed

... seriously I can't believe you can't understand that.
You specifically wrote, "I can't file for bankruptcy as I can afford to pay my debts." Ergo, you can afford to pay them! Pay off your debts before you leave the UK.

If you have to work in the US in order to pay off your UK debts, then you can't afford to pay your debts - which, you must agree, is the total opposite of what you specifically wrote.

Ian
Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Are you dead, or are you beat? Or are you a mixture of the two?
Here's an idea - take some responsibility for the train wreck and straighten things out, rather than stumbling from one disaster to the next. How on God's earth you have persuaded in-laws to sponsor you is a total mystery to me - perhaps you need to get into sales....
Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You specifically wrote, "I can't file for bankruptcy as I can afford to pay my debts." Ergo, you can afford to pay them! Pay off your debts before you leave the UK.

If you have to work in the US in order to pay off your UK debts, then you can't afford to pay your debts - which, you must agree, is the total opposite of what you specifically wrote.

Ian
He stated that he can afford to pay off the debts in 8 years as long as he has income. So he can only pay off his debts prior to leaving the UK if he remains employed in the UK for another 8 years.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I hear a lot of moral outrage on this thread just like I heard from the "National Association of Mortgage Brokers" (lobbying group for mortgage brokers and banks) when they claimed it was an individuals moral responsibility to keep making payments on their home when it is underwater but then the "National Association of Mortgage Brokers" walked away from it's headquarters in Washington DC when it was $25 million underwater. When asked why they walked away from their headquarters, they said it was a business decision and not a moral decision.

And then we had bankers that got near zero percent loans from the Federal Reserve's discount window and bailout's from taxpayers and then increased bonuses to the people that caused the problem and thought that was right.

To make a moral judgment for an individual just doesn't seem right.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:05 am
Just Joined

@awesomewellies I didn't persuade them to sponsor me they offered so get your facts straight before you start judging me
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

@awesomewellies I didn't persuade them to sponsor me they offered so get your facts straight before you start judging me
My facts are straight. Consider yourself judged (and it's Welles, not Wellies, you idiot.)
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:46 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
My facts are straight. Consider yourself judged (and it's Welles, not Wellies, you idiot.)
What right do you have to pass judgment on anyone? Im not religious, nor can I quote scripture well, but I'm fairly sure there something in there about 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'.

He hasn't even done anything yet and your sat there as judge and jury. Honestly, one would think that up there on your moral high ground that you've never done anything wrong.

If fact that goes for most of the people on this thread sat there in their 'moral outrage'.

To make a moral judgment for an individual just doesn't seem right.
Amen!

Last edited by civilservant; Feb 17th 2013 at 9:48 am.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
He stated that he can afford to pay off the debts in 8 years as long as he has income. So he can only pay off his debts prior to leaving the UK if he remains employed in the UK for another 8 years.
This is also how I understood it.

OP, I suggest you pay off debts while you work in the UK and apply for your visa, then once you're in the US you do your best to get a job ASAP and continue to pay off your UK debts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.