British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-us-388040/)

andie&jase Aug 1st 2006 4:14 pm

Re: Moving to the US

Originally Posted by Ray
Because it can be so useful for so many things ...

Like what?

Jerseygirl Aug 1st 2006 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by andie&jase
Why must we never close our UK bank accounts? :confused:

Apart from being useful, if you ever want to move back its quite a process 'cos you've been resident in another country. Never say never.

Ray Aug 1st 2006 4:16 pm

Like what?

Dealing in stock and shares
Premium bonds
buying goods in the Uk ...
lots of odd little things

Bob Aug 1st 2006 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Alicia_ta
I've spoken to the Student Loans Company and I plan to part paying back my student loan as soon as I start working, even if it's only just a small amount every week I want to clear it as quickly as possible.

waste of money with exchange rate and transfering money, do it annually or quarterly...it'll be cheaper.

If you K1, get SSN before you get married, it's quicker.

Shipping, if your paying, sell everything unless you've got quality furniture etc as it'll be more expensive and hassle to bother ship it...small things like books you could slow boat via royal mail and that's pretty cheap, takes 10 weeks or more though.

andie&jase Aug 1st 2006 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Dealing in stock and shares
Premium bonds
buying goods in the Uk ...
lots of odd little things

hmmmm i see.....

i might just keep it open as a booze account for when i go back home to visit!! :beer:

Andy_LongIsland Aug 1st 2006 4:19 pm

hmmmm i see.....

i might just keep it open as a booze account for when i go back home to visit!! :beer:

Yeh least you won't get chraged a transaction fee everytime you use it :)

andie&jase Aug 1st 2006 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Andy_LongIsland
Yeh least you won't get chraged a transaction fee everytime you use it :)

this is making more and more sense with every post!

Jerseygirl Aug 1st 2006 4:24 pm

hmmmm i see.....

Keep a UK credit card too...inform them that you are living in the US and you want to keep the account open. Otherwise they will close it if the account is dormant. The whole amount is paid automatically from my UK bank account...that way I know I will avoid charges if the statement has been lost or delayed in the mail. I transfer money every 12 mths to my UK bank account...enough to cover insurance policies, NHS contributions, purchases when I'm in the UK etc.

andie&jase Aug 1st 2006 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Keep a UK credit card too...inform them that you are living in the US and you want to keep the account open. Otherwise they will close it if the account is dormant. The whole amount is paid automatically from my UK bank account...that way I know I will avoid charges if the statement has been lost or delayed in the mail. I transfer money every 12 mths to my UK bank account...enough to cover insurance policies, NHS contributions, purchases when I'm in the UK etc.

NHS contributions? Sorry if I sound a bit dumb, but this is all new to me!!

So am I still covered by the NHS if I visit back home and need medical assistance?

Andy_LongIsland Aug 1st 2006 4:27 pm

this is making more and more sense with every post!

What about closing your UK account and getting yourself and inflatable pub!

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/inflatable-pub.jpg

Jerseygirl Aug 1st 2006 4:28 pm

Forgot to add US CC companies usually charge a transaction charge for each overseas transaction, therefore, you will avoid the fee if you use a UK CC. Make sure you have a cash card from your UK bank too.

andie&jase Aug 1st 2006 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Andy_LongIsland
What about closing your UK account and getting yourself and inflatable pub!

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/inflatable-pub.jpg

ANDY! I just laughed out loud in work!!!!!!! :D

Jerseygirl Aug 1st 2006 4:30 pm

NHS contributions? Sorry if I sound a bit dumb, but this is all new to me!!

So am I still covered by the NHS if I visit back home and need medical assistance?

No once you're resident here you will not be entitled to NHS treatment. Its for the pension...if the UK gov. has anything left in the kitty!!

Andy_LongIsland Aug 1st 2006 4:31 pm

ANDY! I just laughed out loud in work!!!!!!! :D

You KNOW you want it! :D

andie&jase Aug 1st 2006 4:31 pm

No once you're resident here you will not be entitled to NHS treatment. Its for the pension...if the UK gov. has anything left in the kitty!!

oh right, i see..... i have one of those!

i have much to learn!!