Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to USA with my 15 year old son

Wikiposts

Moving from UK to USA with my 15 year old son

Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice
Default Re: Moving from UK to USA with my 15 year old son

Just going to make a comment about the IB and Uk unis....

My eldest (10G) wants to keep open the option of going back to the UK for uni (don't talk to me about the cost!). We have looked at the USA requirements of some really good UK unis and they want really high IB scores.

So, although academically she could do the IB final 2 yr programme, she's going to stick with the honors/AP route and take subject SATs as she completes the courses. She thinks she has a better chance taking this option and going for 4/5s on AP exams and/or 700 plus on SATs as opposed to 35 on the IB - if she fouls up one subject on IB it could scupper the whole thing. So this year she's taking AP Euro history and will take chem and math 1 SATs.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karen68
Just going to make a comment about the IB and Uk unis....

My eldest (10G) wants to keep open the option of going back to the UK for uni (don't talk to me about the cost!). We have looked at the USA requirements of some really good UK unis and they want really high IB scores.

So, although academically she could do the IB final 2 yr programme, she's going to stick with the honors/AP route and take subject SATs as she completes the courses. She thinks she has a better chance taking this option and going for 4/5s on AP exams and/or 700 plus on SATs as opposed to 35 on the IB - if she fouls up one subject on IB it could scupper the whole thing. So this year she's taking AP Euro history and will take chem and math 1 SATs.
Not sure what you mean by 'the USA requirements' of UK unis. They will make an individual offer to your child when she applies.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Not sure what you mean by 'the USA requirements' of UK unis. They will make an individual offer to your child when she applies.
If you look at the international admissions criteria on Uk uni websites, they list what their minimum requirements are. We looked initially at Oxford. I think it was 35 IB points OR 3 x5 s on AP courses OR 3 x 700 plus on subject SATs.

Also, really high ACT or SAT scores!

Last edited by Karen68; Nov 5th 2011 at 12:48 pm. Reason: Add final sentence
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karen68
If you look on the international admissions criteria on the Uk uni's websites, they list what their minimum requirements are. We looked initially at Oxford. I think it was 35 IB points OR 3 x5 s on AP courses OR 3 x 700 plus on subject SATs.

Also, really high ACT or SAT scores!
Oh I didn't realize that. Mind you, my son didn't apply for Oxford He got offered 2x4s on AP courses from some mid-range ones which was not difficult.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oh I didn't realize that. Mind you, my son didn't apply for Oxford He got offered 2x4s on AP courses from some mid-range ones which was not difficult.
We looked at Oxford as we figured it would be the 'worst case scenario'
Old Nov 5th 2011, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

kyotokids is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha we did exactly the same when checking out fees, looked at Oxford and the other big English names.

My concern for IB is the language requirement my eldest had to start a new language in G9 which she has never studied before, she doesn't find languages easy and with IB has to take it right through.

However having said that she was desperate to go to this school, she has spent more of her school life in IB than in any other system, and is really enjoying the classes which really counts for a lot.

As for Uni we still have to think about that, here it seems you have to consider it earlier than in you do the UK where you don't really get around to it until GCSEs are out of the way.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kyotokids
As for Uni we still have to think about that, here it seems you have to consider it earlier than in you do the UK where you don't really get around to it until GCSEs are out of the way.
Yes, it seems to dominate the whole time at high school.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kyotokids
Ha we did exactly the same when checking out fees, looked at Oxford and the other big English names.

My concern for IB is the language requirement my eldest had to start a new language in G9 which she has never studied before, she doesn't find languages easy and with IB has to take it right through.

However having said that she was desperate to go to this school, she has spent more of her school life in IB than in any other system, and is really enjoying the classes which really counts for a lot.

I think that being happy at school is more important than anything, they could be at the best school in the world but if they hate it they'll never achieve their potential.

My eldest doesn't find languages easy either and will finish her mandated requirement at the end of this year. She's going to carry on, though, as she will have to do language study at a US uni and would rather keep plugging away than forget what she's learned and have to start again.

Can your daughter not take her language as one of the lower level subjects? We had got the impression that you could take your best language (English) at the higher level and your foreign language at the lower level.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

kyotokids is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm hoping it will be lower level I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be, as she is part of the first grade in the first year of the school there are no grades above to follow so it is developing as it goes, for G9 and 10 the emphasis is to get all the kids prepared and to the point where they are able to take on IB Diploma in 11 and 12, so far its going really well, but I don't really have anything to compare to my other kids are younger.

The head is the same guy who originally set up the international academy in Bloomfield Hills. Though there'll be teething issues there is also the benefit of being the ambassadors for the school and developing its identity.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck with it, the IA is a great school from what I've heard, so I'm sure your head will have brought that expertise with him.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 1:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karann
I am not 'playing in riddles'', as you say! Thank you all for taking the time to comment on here, regarding my question, especially those who actually answered my question, but as I said before, my query was nothing to do with visas, but advice on my son settling into a school in USA! I have a very good immigration lawyer dealing with the visa applications.

I think I will try else where...
Well to be fair, for anyone to give any meaningful replies, they kind of need some background info...and if things aren't likely to happen, it would save them a lot of time and effort if you were upfront about the situation.

You are asking for other peoples time after all.

Anyway, personally, my main thought would be on where the kid plans on going to uni. If in the US, would getting greencards in time be likely? If they plan on being in the UK for uni, they need 3 years residence prior to enrolling to get home rates, so it might just be better to stay in school in the UK if they wanted to study there.

As for actual schools in the US, well you'll be able to google the school zones from the address of your gaff to find out which schools your kids will be able to go to. You can then just ask them what school info, medical info and anything else that they might want.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 7:14 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is like reading a script from Guess Who? Has he got a moustache?

Last edited by N1cky; Nov 5th 2011 at 7:15 pm. Reason: Phone changed moustache to moist ache lol
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Seal2012 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If your children will be on an immigrant visa, it's a very different scenario from if your children are not. An H1b with a willing company and an EB1 classification is different from an H1b with EB3, and an E2 investor with a 15 y.o. is just child cruelty IMO. Yes, your immigration status is most relevant as to whether your planned move would be beneficial for your child.
Hi there! I was wondering if you would be able to explain the classifications/visas (whatever they are) and things you are talking about in your post. In the future I will have to know about these things as well- and it would be a great help if you could explain a bit more about them. Thank you!
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:54 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seal2012
Hi there! I was wondering if you would be able to explain the classifications/visas (whatever they are) and things you are talking about in your post. In the future I will have to know about these things as well- and it would be a great help if you could explain a bit more about them. Thank you!
Sure....but not without any info.

Start here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified

Give any affirmative answers complete with details.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seal2012
Browse the wiki...the section on visas cover the basics of what you can and can't do on them...also plenty of threads and posts explaining the pro/cons to them, but more often than not, you don't really have a choice, you're either eligible for one or you aren't, so you usually aren't in a position to pick and chose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.