Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to LA - should we go for it?

Moving from UK to LA - should we go for it?

Old May 19th 2022, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to LA - should we go for it?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well if you want to adjust back the estimated 2020 decline of 3.5% you get to $21.7Trn, which is still 20% short of $26Trn originally posted above. But congratulations on being correct as that seems to be important to you.
But the estimated growth that was lost during 2020 would have been positive, so the economy was much smaller in 2020 that expected... I agree not 5trl smaller.

Anyway, I hope the above posters are not saying that his partner works illegally cash in hand so that 1. the IRS aren't paid 2. they work without authoriz(s)ation.
Old May 19th 2022, 4:12 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Article in todays LA Times: https://www.latimes.com/homeless-hou...Waan2dDqCzXVrc
Old May 20th 2022, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steph0scope
I wouldn’t give up life in the UK for $90k for 2 anywhere in the US, least of all the west coast. Are there people here on that kind of money? Absolutely. Some are on even less. A couple making minimum wage each would be on less than that and they survive. But! They didn’t move 5000 miles for it, leaving everything and everyone behind, they likely have a solid support network of friends and family to help them out with things (grandma invites them round for a meal once a week, dad lends them use of the car, that kind of thing) to help with expenses and they are USCs so able to draw help from the government if needed (food stamps, etc). You will have zero of those options.

We are on a combined income of $180k, so double that, not in LA but not far from it and we are comfortable but we also have a 4-year-old and are all USCs. I would not want to be on much less than this. Hypothetically speaking if we were told we had to move to LA and live on $90k a year we would look for another job.

I understand people think it’s a nice experience to move to another country for a while, and the US is particularly attractive to many, but this is not an easy place to be poor. Especially with no entitlement to assistance programs.
This. I wouldn't make a move to coastal California from here, let alone the UK, for anything less than $200k. People making far more than $90k in our San Diego office are trying to leave California because they want to get on in life.
Old May 20th 2022, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
This is not a lot of money for someone who requires a visa sponsorship. It may work in H1-B category but I suspect it'd be highly scrutinized in O-1 and L-1 categories.

The cost of living is higher in the US than the UK. £75,000 =~ $93,500. I think you would need to look at a 30% increase, so a £75,000 UK salary would roughly equal to $120,000 US salary.
It's the other way around. H-1Bs have to conform to prevailing wage for the job they intend to take and for the geographical area in which the job is located.
Old May 21st 2022, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of trying to find an affordable, accessible rental in LA...have you considered doing a house swap?

https://www.guardianhomeexchange.co.uk/homeswap/21620

Might even be able to include car exchange...
Old May 22nd 2022, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Some random thoughts after reading this entire thread. LA without a car sounds like a recipe for disaster, but - there are some pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods in LA, though I suspect they are not going to have rentals for $2200/mo. I personally love Pasadena; it has a great 'downtown', lots of restaurants and shops, easy walking to grocery stores, and a metro station. I don't know Culver City but looking at a map, it's near Santa Monica and Marina Del Rey which are both fun destinations.

Crazy idea (echoing what Pulaski said) - what about you take the job, partner stays in UK, and visits you a lot? When she flies in, plan to do some fun stuff. Can she 'work from home', which would include working from your apartment ... ? With LA being a major city, flights can be cheap. Or, maybe you take the job for a year, with your partner staying in UK (but visiting you several times still), THEN you decide whether she comes over or not (or you throw in the towel and head back).

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
From someone that has relatives that recently escaped from California due to outrageous rents, taxes, straffic tress and crime I have to ask why anyone in their right mind would move to the absolute worst state in the USA? If you want to move to the USA look at Tennessee or Texas. Just because a job offers a higher pay that is located in California does not make taking a job there a good choice. Ask yourself this Why are twice as many native born Californians fleeing the place as incoming replacement population? When my cousin moved from California to Florida last year, She had to fly to Dallas Texas to rent a moving truck and drive it to Southern California. There are almost none available to rent.
I've been in CA for almost 40 years now. I've traveled all over the US, and lived part-time in Scottsdale, AZ for over 10 years, but I recently decided to abandon AZ and return full-time to CA. Yes, it's expensive and has a lot of issues, but it's still the most attractive place in the US, in my opinion.
Old May 22nd 2022, 1:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steerpike,

A visitor to the USA cannot work from home (from the LA apartment) while inside the USA. So that part of your plan above would not work out.

Rene
Old May 22nd 2022, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Steerpike,

A visitor to the USA cannot work from home (from the LA apartment) while inside the USA. So that part of your plan above would not work out.

Rene
I do appreciate that what you say is true, but if someone were to fly into the US and casually check emails, answer a few questions, etc then no one would know.
Old May 22nd 2022, 5:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I do appreciate that what you say is true, but if someone were to fly into the US and casually check emails, answer a few questions, etc. then no one would know.
Yeah, we all know nobody would know, but, er Site Rule 2, third sentence.
Old May 22nd 2022, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, we all know nobody would know, but, er Site Rule 2, third sentence.
AH ha! I get it. I'll refrain from admitting to speeding from now on!
Old May 22nd 2022, 5:42 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Steerpike,

Rene
Although retired, I still participate in immigration attorney chat boards. The issues don't seem to be all that clear cut. Also, the rules are a tad looser when it comes to accompanying spouse.
Old May 22nd 2022, 7:13 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I do appreciate that what you say is true, but if someone were to fly into the US and casually check emails, answer a few questions, etc then no one would know.
the question should not be about if “someone knows” it should be about if the activities they perform are permissible under the class of entry they are admitted for. If it’s B1/WB this link details some, but. It all permissible activities…

https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the...siness-visitor

some of what you describe sound like:

“Consulting with business associates” all be it ones back in the UK.”

I am certain many business travelers to the US do that during their trips…
Old May 25th 2022, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to the US in 1994, bay area CA. Never heard of the internet/world wide web at that time. Only means of research was the local book store and library and travel guides. Knew no one in bay area CA. Had no idea bay area CA was one of the most expensive areas in the US. Was dating my UK girlfriend at the time, she would not commit to joining me in the US unless marriage was on the cards. Was on an H1B visa so took the stance it was a 3 year temporary gig and would go back to the UK at the end of it.

I'm still in the bay area almost 30 years later. Back in 1994 my girlfriend worked in retail banking and hated that it was becoming very sales-ey. We got married in 1996 and she very happily gave up her banking job and joined me in the US. She was on H4 and could not work. On top of that she had never been far away from her parents for any length of time, so things could have gone horribly wrong for her. I was open minded to all of that, and prepared to go back to the UK if she was not happy. Like I said, we are still here.

Maybe the long distance relationship is a compromise worth trying. It gives you an opportunity to try out the experience without jeopardizing her career. She will get to see glimpses of the lifestyle when she visits, and that can help her determine if she could/would make the move, or if you ultimately go back to the UK.

Or you could try van life. Lots of info on the internet on that lifestyle choice. It would solve your "car" problem for LA
Old May 30th 2022, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
It's the other way around. H-1Bs have to conform to prevailing wage for the job they intend to take and for the geographical area in which the job is located.
In theory. In practice, I bet that H1Bs are massively underpaid compared to L1 and O1. It’s the modern corporate form of slavery.
Old May 30th 2022, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by destone
In theory. In practice, I bet that H1Bs are massively underpaid compared to L1 and O1. It’s the modern corporate form of slavery.
I don't know enough about L1 and O1 to have an opinion, but I came over on an H1 and was competitively paid; I was certainly within the range for my position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.