Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to L.A....Logistic help please

Moving from UK to L.A....Logistic help please

Old May 22nd 2015, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to L.A....Logistic help please

Originally Posted by mmhendrie
personally, unless you're a big fan of very hot weather (32oC+), I think you should be looking in West LA/Beverly Wood/Culver City areas - areas basically around 10miles west of down town LA. I know some folks like it, but I find once I get in over 28-29oC I have to run indoors. The west side of LA is significantly cooler then the areas 10miles+ north/south/east of downtown LA. I've lived on the west side for 14yrs+ without air conditioning, and there's literally only 2-3 weeks in the whole year when I wish I had it. When I go north into the valley - well, I just couldn't live with that heat, and I think it's a waste to live in LA and not be able to take advantage of the outdoors. For me, the west side of LA has the best weather, year round, of anywhere. LA is a fantastic place to live, but in my opinion, the two worst aspects are dealing with extreme heat if you live in an extreme heat area, and dealing with the traffic. The west side keeps you out the extreme heat, and staying around 10miles from known work place should keep you in the under 45min each way commute level. When we bought our first house, we literally drew a 10mile radius around my wifes work, did the same for mine, looked at neighborhoods in the overlap area, and found a good one we could afford. Couldn't be happier! I have friends that live further out and deal with 30-37oC weather through the whole summer, and spend 2-4hrs per day in their car. No thanks!
Yes I agree. We only moved out to the Valley for school district.
Old May 22nd 2015, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes I agree. We only moved out to the Valley for school district.
yep - schools are a big one here. Sounds like the OP doesn't have kids to consider, so that really opens up a lot more on the west side. Getting a nice place on the west side with a good school district means big $'s - but if schools aren't a factor, it's totally do-able.

We just got lucky and won a charter school lotto for our lil 4yr old, who'll be starting there in August. Our local assigned schools are terrible.
Old May 22nd 2015, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

yep - schools are a big one here. Sounds like the OP doesn't have kids to consider, so that really opens up a lot more on the west side. Getting a nice place on the west side with a good school district means big $'s - but if schools aren't a factor, it's totally do-able.

We just got lucky and won a charter school lotto for our lil 4yr old, who'll be starting there in August. Our local assigned schools are terrible.
It's certainly a problem. Ours went to an excellent public elementary in Hancock Park but nobody was going to let their kids go to the local high school. Sad really.
Old May 22nd 2015, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all

yep - I live in Ladera Heights, and despite being unincorporated LA County, we're assigned to Inglewood for schools - which is in state receivership right now, and are in terrible shape. With the charter school lotto win, we're good for the next 6yrs, then we'll have to deal with the stress again when it comes to middle school.
Old May 22nd 2015, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yep - I live in Ladera Heights, and despite being unincorporated LA County, we're assigned to Inglewood for schools - which is in state receivership right now, and are in terrible shape. With the charter school lotto win, we're good for the next 6yrs, then we'll have to deal with the stress again when it comes to middle school.
Yes it's stressful. But I think we should have tried to stay out of suburbia. Too hot and too...suburban and the commute down the 405 was truly awful for my husband.
Old May 23rd 2015, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Fatboyslick....take a look at this:

1519 Ewing Street, Los Angeles, CA | Trulia.com

It's in Echo Park/Los Feliz area (nice!)

The 3 mile commute to/from DT would be "a breeze"
So too, would the summer heat compared to the Valley (Burbank) oven

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/1519...d34.055345!3e0

It might be worthwhile to contact the realtor handling this rental (since you're not ready to actually rent right now) and tell her what you need and when you need it.....
She seems to have some house rentals that might suit you...take a look:

http://www.therentalgirl.com/agent/zaya/current

Last edited by MMcD; May 23rd 2015 at 7:53 pm.
Old May 23rd 2015, 7:28 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Fatboyslick....take a look at this:

1519 Ewing Street, Los Angeles, CA | Trulia.com

It's in Echo Park/Los Feliz area (nice!)

The 3 mile commute to/from DT would be "a breeze"
So too, would the summer heat compared to the Valley (Burbank) oven

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/1519...d34.055345!3e0

It might be worthwhile to contact the realtor handling this rental (since you're not ready to actually rent right now) and tell her what you need and when you need it.....
I used to live very near there and still have friends in the area. The area of Echo Park is also known as Elysian Heights. It is rapidly gentrifying. It is kind of rural believe it or not even though it is vehicle close to everything. If one just asked for "Echo Park" you will also get things near Sunset and the Lake/Park -- which are not all that nice. "Elysian Heights" will get nicer area.

BTW, I would not call it "Los Feliz" by any stretch.

This listing is an example of how one should see the area and not just rent from afar.

Last edited by S Folinsky; May 23rd 2015 at 7:30 pm.
Old May 23rd 2015, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I used to live very near there and still have friends in the area. The area of Echo Park is also known as Elysian Heights. It is rapidly gentrifying. It is kind of rural believe it or not even though it is vehicle close to everything.
BTW, I would not call it "Los Feliz" by any stretch.
No, didn't think so - but since I'd put Los Feliz, rather than Echo Park in my search...I left it.....
It certainly looks like something that might suit them. The idea of moving to Burbank is so (ugh)....unappealing (well, at least to me)
Old May 23rd 2015, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, didn't think so - but since I'd put Los Feliz, rather than Echo Park in my search...I left it.....
It certainly looks like something that might suit them. The idea of moving to Burbank is so (ugh)....unappealing (well, at least to me)
Better than Santa Clarita though.
Old May 23rd 2015, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Better than Santa Clarita though.
Will have to take your word for that
Old May 23rd 2015, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Will have to take your word for that
Cheerleader for Burbank, who'd a thunk it??
Old May 23rd 2015, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cheerleader for Burbank, who'd a thunk it??
Burbank - USA
Location redux for Redux family?

Old May 24th 2015, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Burbank - USA
Location redux for Redux family?

Meet you in IKEA
Old May 24th 2015, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Meet you in IKEA
Better yet...first lunch at the commissary at 1:00
Will leave a pass for you at the gate...

Can't wait

ah Burbank....the garden of earthly delights.....
Old May 24th 2015, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Better yet...first lunch at the commissary at 1:00
Will leave a pass for you at the gate...

Can't wait

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3541/...8550793576.jpg

ah Burbank....the garden of earthly delights.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.