Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving truck, question

moving truck, question

Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default moving truck, question

Hi guys, just a quick question. We move this weekend and I am going to book a uhaul and get some helping hands. What i am unsure of is the size of the truck. We have a 2 bedroom 950 sq foot place. the larger items are

TV unit
2 * 2.5 seat sofas
dining table
2 beds (already dismantled)
2 side tables
2 Ikea type shelves
1 dressing table

other than that boxes and bags. Few friends will help us pack some bags in their cars.

http://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/

For some reason I am looking at 24' but from the descriptions (above) it seems 14' or 17' should be ok?

Looking to move (hopefully) in one trip. Could anyone help identify the size of the truck, please?

regards,
Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving truck, question

FYI - we are moving 15 miles away
Old Nov 26th 2012, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

Personally I would say over estimate by a little, moved my girlfriend (now wife) in one of the bigger units and was glad I did as all the silly stuff (blankets, plates, books etc) really add up. Better to spend a few extra dollars and do a one trip deal, otherwise you'll just waste time.........How much is your time worth? I normally look at the extra time involved in a project and use my pay scale to judge it. Good luck....
Old Nov 26th 2012, 2:54 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We used the smallest of the U Haul trucks and made two trips, we only went about 30 miles. we had about a dozen big tea chest size boxes bunk beds and other furniture from a two bed apartment, plus a ton of kid toys.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 3:55 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nigs
Personally I would say over estimate by a little, moved my girlfriend (now wife) in one of the bigger units and was glad I did as all the silly stuff (blankets, plates, books etc) really add up. Better to spend a few extra dollars and do a one trip deal, otherwise you'll just waste time.........How much is your time worth? I normally look at the extra time involved in a project and use my pay scale to judge it. Good luck....
Absolutely right. Better to make one trip rather than two otherwise it is almost like doing the job twice. I speak from experience.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Yup I understand.

starting to think 17 is good size. thats the question i have really...
Old Nov 26th 2012, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Absolutely right. Better to make one trip rather than two otherwise it is almost like doing the job twice. I speak from experience.
Any guidance on size tho?
Old Nov 26th 2012, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We used the smallest of the U Haul trucks and made two trips, we only went about 30 miles. we had about a dozen big tea chest size boxes bunk beds and other furniture from a two bed apartment, plus a ton of kid toys.
You mean a 10'?
Old Nov 26th 2012, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

Look at the mileage gas over price.......You know best what you have to shift
Old Nov 26th 2012, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Look at the mileage gas over price.......You know best what you have to shift
Honestly, for me the aim is to get everything done in 1 trip. 17' truck and 24' truck is not much price difference. I jsut dont want to end up getting something huge. paranoid about driving something big!
Old Nov 26th 2012, 4:30 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
You mean a 10'?
Yes a 10 foot one. I also drove my small pick up truck with some stuff in and after Dh dropped off the u haul he had the last bits in his car after a sweep through the empty apartment. We did it between the two of us with help from our 5 year old at the time. Funny how all the friends he had helped move suddenly couldn't help at all, even though it was a holiday weekend.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yes a 10 foot one. I also drove my small pick up truck with some stuff in and after Dh dropped off the u haul he had the last bits in his car after a sweep through the empty apartment. We did it between the two of us with help from our 5 year old at the time. Funny how all the friends he had helped move suddenly couldn't help at all, even though it was a holiday weekend.
Friends, who ?

Ok so you think 17' would be enuf?
Old Nov 26th 2012, 5:51 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Friends, who ?

Ok so you think 17' would be enuf?
A 24ft is not that big to drive, if it doesn't cost much more I'd go with that. I assume it is a "bobtail" truck (hydraulic lift-gate)?

There aren't too many motorhomes that are only 24ft-long - most are 30-40ft, shows how big the roads are.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We are getting ready to move ourselves, and we were considering renting our own truck. We live in a 850sqft 2bd apartment - but we use as a 1bd plus office. According to several moving people I spoke to, a 14' truck would have been sufficient to move us. So I would say that a 17' truck should be more than enough for you. You also don't want too big of a truck as that will give all of your stuff room to shift/move around, which could damage something..speaking from experience there.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Try Ryder instead. Their trucks aren't generally a total POS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.