Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Southern California from London

Moving to Southern California from London

Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Southern California from London

Originally Posted by USBound
hey bob... i pay $1400 for a 3000sqrft house in the burbs of Chicago (Naperville, the most expensive)... you're getting screwed up there man.
tell me about it

You can have a mortgage on a 4-5 bed house with land for less than $900 up in Maine
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:52 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm living way out in the suburbs of no where and I'm paying only slightly less than that, for a 1 bed apartment in a nice block across town is $1900...anything with half decent parking in a decent place like Cambridge is $2500 easy...sure you can find cheaper, for a reason, but anything semi nice...and forget about a place with waterside views
Hi:

Cambridge is one of the more expensive areas to rent anything. My daughter never gave up her dorm room view of the Charles River the entire 4 years and didn't move off campus until after graduation to rent a room in a small apartment at twice the rent.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Cambridge is one of the more expensive areas to rent anything. My daughter never gave up her dorm room view of the Charles River the entire 4 years and didn't move off campus until after graduation to rent a room in a small apartment at twice the rent.
Yup, don't blame her...does suck a wee bit doesn't it
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cliffords
Hi there
I have been offered a job in Aliso Veijo in southern California and had my visa accepted etc etc - I am due to move in a month or so from London.
I was hoping someone may be able to provide me with some information on cost of living, rentals propertys, advice on where to live.
I have been looking online at areas to live - such as Carlsbad, San Clemente as I am a keen surfer - does anyone have any good advice?
Thanks
Welcome to BE - San Clemente is beautiful - and the commute to AV won't be bad - Huntington Beach is another nice beach city - but that'll be about 25 mile commute although for the most part you'll be going against the traffic so it shouldn't be too bad.

I live in Lake Forest which is one city up and over from AV - all in all So. Cal has some great spots. Craigslist.com might be a good place to start. You could also check out forrent.com. Let me know if I can provide any more local info!

Dawn

PS: If you are commuting from Corona to AV you might want to use the toll road $5 each way. Otherwise you are commuting with the rest of Riverside County and should allow at least 1.5 hours if not more!!

Last edited by limeynus; Feb 1st 2008 at 6:10 am. Reason: adding info
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

www.nctimes.com
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:21 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
I have been offered a job in Aliso Veijo in southern California and had my visa accepted etc etc - I am due to move in a month or so from London.
I was hoping someone may be able to provide me with some information on cost of living, rentals propertys, advice on where to live.
I have been looking online at areas to live - such as Carlsbad, San Clemente as I am a keen surfer - does anyone have any good advice?
Thanks
Here is something to listen to as you read the posts.
Good luck.

Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

cliffords is just really nicecliffords is just really nicecliffords is just really nicecliffords is just really nicecliffords is just really nicecliffords is just really nicecliffords is just really nicecliffords is just really nice

Thanks for all the replies!

Dreams of a place by the ocean are looking a distant memory!

All sounds very negative and I am now not so excited about the move!! I am srating to think London is looking not so bad after all!!

I need to bear in mind that my wife will be looking for work with an NGO (Non Governmental Organisation) and this is more likely to be in San Diego and I cannot imagine any to exist in OC or surrounds. Does anyone have any experience?

I think my job will entail quite a bit of travel (not necessarily office based 100%) so basing ourselves nearer to a possible job for my wife maybe better.

Thanks again
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

All sounds very negative and I am now not so excited about the move!! I am srating to think London is looking not so bad after all!!

I need to bear in mind that my wife will be looking for work with an NGO (Non Governmental Organisation) and this is more likely to be in San Diego and I cannot imagine any to exist in OC or surrounds. Does anyone have any experience?

I think my job will entail quite a bit of travel (not necessarily office based 100%) so basing ourselves nearer to a possible job for my wife maybe better.

Thanks again
No no no! SD/socal is very exciting!!!

(Regular posters - wow - look what my K is worth....bloody hell!!)
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 6:00 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Here is something to listen to as you read the posts.
Good luck.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RtVIhDgo_uU
got to enjoy those funky moves by Momma Cas
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:39 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
No no no! SD/socal is very exciting!!!

(Regular posters - wow - look what my K is worth....bloody hell!!)
South California is gorgeous. I wouldn't give up that opportunity for all the tea in China.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
NOOO! Don't get discouraged. I have been in San Diego for the last 2 and half years and I love living here - so does just about everyone I ever speak to. I think there is always a tendency for people to make sure you are aware of some of the potential pitfalls because no one needs to tell you how much fun you are going to have being able to go surfing regularly on the beautiful socal beaches in the gorgeous weather

Traffic and costs of housing are really about the only two drawbacks here and if you take a bit of time at the start to suss things out you can definitely minimise the traffic problems and for your planned budget of $2000 a month I think you will be able to find somewhere pretty nice to live. It might not have sweeping ocean views or be steps from the sand, but you could still be within easy driving distance of the beach and especially if you are looking at apartments/condos there should be plenty of choices.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:23 am
Just Joined

cliffords is just really nicecliffords is just really nicecliffords is just really nicecliffords is just really nicecliffords is just really nicecliffords is just really nicecliffords is just really nicecliffords is just really nice

Thanks for all the words of wisdom!

Does anyone have any experience of NGO's in the area?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for all the words of wisdom!

Does anyone have any experience of NGO's in the area?
Little more info required. Industry? Healthcare/science? Locally or internationally focussed?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:29 am
Just Joined

hi there, nationally or internationally focused preferably working with refugees, resettlement and/or international politics. We know international rescue Committee (IRC) is based in San Diego which is where my wife has been looking but she does not know much about smaller US NGO's!
Any information would be appreciated!
Thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

hi there, nationally or internationally focused preferably working with refugees, resettlement and/or international politics. We know international rescue Committee (IRC) is based in San Diego which is where my wife has been looking but she does not know much about smaller US NGO's!
Any information would be appreciated!
Thanks
OK. I'm not aware of anything, I move within Biotech circles.