Moving soon and looking for some advice please

Moving soon and looking for some advice please

Old May 23rd 2023, 5:11 pm
HFM
Just Joined

HFM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving soon and looking for some advice please

Hi there

Have found lots of the threads here really helpful as we plan our move - thank you! L1 blanket and L2 visa's approved at interview yesterday so now have some questions which I would appreciate some help with please!

1. When we make the move over to the US, we were planning to book return flights to UK with the outbound for July this year and the return part next April (2024) Will this be a problem - do you need to book 1 way flights? It is much cheaper to book returns!!

2. Has anyone used the Nissan expat program and, if so, was it a good experience? We went into the local Nissan dealership when we were over last month and there were some good options available but wanted to see if it is a good program overall.

3. Does anyone know how long it takes to get a SSN? Or does this vary by state? (Moving to Texas)

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Old May 23rd 2023, 11:13 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving soon and looking for some advice please

1. Get a round trip, much cheaper. You can use the return if you want to, or just throw it away. No one will care.

2. No personal experience of the Nissan program, but if you don’t have the funds to buy outright and they will get you into a suitable car with appropriate financing and help you build credit then it’s a good program.

3. SSN is supposed to be issued within 2 weeks of providing the relevant documents in person at a Social Security office. They are a little backed up so could be up to 4 weeks. You might want to call them when your plans are firm and set up an appointment for when you arrive so you can hit the ground running as the appointment may be the long pole in the tent. I think they suggest waiting for 2 weeks after you enter the country so that the visa/immigration paperwork has has time to work it’s way through the system.
Old May 23rd 2023, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
1. Get a round trip, much cheaper. You can use the return if you want to, or just throw it away. No one will care.
Agree with this, I used my original return flight when I moved to go back to the UK for Christmas. Then I booked another UK->USA->UK trip to go back in January. Just before COVID (I wish it was afterwards as I could have kept it open for years and kept rebooking it) I just 'forgot' to show up for the flight - no issues. Funnily enough that was when Virgin Atlantic still flew to Newark, and they called me the day before saying that the flight had been cancelled and I had to go to JFK. Needless to say I wasn't too concerned about that
Old May 25th 2023, 1:53 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

SSN in Texas is back to normal - arrives in the mail about 10 days after application
Go to the office about an hour before they open and you should be out pretty quickly.
Old May 25th 2023, 1:25 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

We book returns for transatlantic cruises. Sometimes we use the return, sometimes we don't.
Do not tell the airlines this is your plan not to use the return. They frown on it and may force a one way at the extra cost.

Ref the SS office, check with your local office before arrival. I know mine does not accept walk-ins. Appointments only. If appointments, make one in advance. It's a 2 week wait here for an appointment.

Old May 25th 2023, 2:18 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HFM
Hi there

Have found lots of the threads here really helpful as we plan our move - thank you! L1 blanket and L2 visa's approved at interview yesterday so now have some questions which I would appreciate some help with please!

1. When we make the move over to the US, we were planning to book return flights to UK with the outbound for July this year and the return part next April (2024) Will this be a problem - do you need to book 1 way flights? It is much cheaper to book returns!!

2. Has anyone used the Nissan expat program and, if so, was it a good experience? We went into the local Nissan dealership when we were over last month and there were some good options available but wanted to see if it is a good program overall.

3. Does anyone know how long it takes to get a SSN? Or does this vary by state? (Moving to Texas)

Thanks in advance for any help!!
I did a return, book with a US airline and you can change the ticket for a small or im some cases no fee… unlike a UK airline…. I commuted back to the UK for a few more years so having it originating in the UK was better as the Sat night stay was then met when I went home for the weekend in NYC (I would fly home Friday night and back to work on a Sunday red eye). When I finally stopped that I ended up buying a OW (but booked on miles so a OW is half a return, if you have any miles look at this option, if not open a credit card with a sign up bonus) but as others note a return is often cheaper than OW even if you don’t use the return.
Old May 26th 2023, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on destination, you can book one way flights at much lower rates with airlines like JetBlue and Norse (previously Norwegian). They price up like low cost carriers.

At the time of moving over we booked a return with Virgin 7 months after our flight to the USA, but then returned to the USA on Norwegian on a one way. Either way works, especially if you are planning on going back and forth.
Old May 28th 2023, 6:13 am
HFM
Just Joined

Thanks everyone- this is really helpful. We will book return flights and it is good to know SSN isn't taking too long.

Have decided to get one car through international autosource before we go and the other one when we arrive through an expat program. IAS are pricey... is this a set price or can you negotiate?
Old May 28th 2023, 8:36 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

You can negotiate IAS. I know from recent clients that they are pushing VW with good pricing since they can get these easily.
ExpatRide is another company pretty much the same as IAS and you could contact for pricing - however, last I heard they were insisting that you have your Texas Driver's license to pick up the car which can create a delay since you have to get an appointment at the DPS and have proof of at least 30 days' residence in Texas. I'd book the appointment now if I were you (use 1234 as the ssn).
Here in Austin - Mazda, VW/Audi, BMW all have international programs. Mazda have been really good with my clients.
Just get pricing on various cars and go back to IAS - I think they really are a good company to use
Old May 29th 2023, 11:53 am
HFM
Just Joined

Thank you! Great advice and I have scheduled appointments to get our licenses in September. What is involved in that process.. do we need to do a written/road test to get a Texss DL? And will we do this on the day of the appointment?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 29th 2023, 12:34 pm
Austin. TX.

You take the knowledge test at the application appointment but you need another appointment for the road test. I would book this one now as well for a day or so after the application visit. The knowledge test is not at all difficult but you could search online for free practice tests.
The DPS website guides you through the documents you need.
Old May 29th 2023, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
You take the knowledge test at the application appointment but you need another appointment for the road test. I would book this one now as well for a day or so after the application visit. The knowledge test is not at all difficult but you could search online for free practice tests.
The DPS website guides you through the documents you need.
+1, that was how it worked for my wife and I when we moved to Houston.

Note that when I attempted to take my road test immediately after arriving I still had a hire car and that is not allowed. The State trooper was very apologetic but he said they had checked with Avis and others and the "no road test" clause in the hire agreement includes a driving test.

Old May 29th 2023, 3:29 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by durham_lad
+1, that was how it worked for my wife and I when we moved to Houston.

Note that when I attempted to take my road test immediately after arriving I still had a hire car and that is not allowed. The State trooper was very apologetic but he said they had checked with Avis and others and the "no road test" clause in the hire agreement includes a driving test.
My clients' experience is that so long as you have your own name on the rental docs (ie not your company) then they will accept a rental car. Saying that, I know that the rules are interpreted differently in different areas. Don't get me started on bloody San Angelo office.....
Old May 29th 2023, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
My clients' experience is that so long as you have your own name on the rental docs (ie not your company) then they will accept a rental car. Saying that, I know that the rules are interpreted differently in different areas. Don't get me started on bloody San Angelo office.....
I expect it may even differ between Counties. This was League City, Texas, and my name was certainly on the rental docs. It was a very amenable exchange, and I checked with him that I could get off a plane from England having never driven in the USA before or even on the right hand side of the road anywhere and it was perfectly legal, but I can't drive around the block with you while you observe and mark my competency to drive? He said that is just the way it is, you can even take me for a drive so long as I am not formally checking your driving ability.

I came back the following day with my boss's car where my name was definitely not on any docs but his insurance was for any driver with his permission, and I did not need to have a letter from him saying I had permission, the Trooper accepted my word.
Old May 29th 2023, 4:12 pm
Austin. TX.

Texas car insurance generally allows any driver with your explicit or implied consent and so you can just about anyone's car for the test.
I did have one client who wanted to take the test in his mate's Porsche 911 but unfortunately the car had been modified for rally driving so the insurance was more specific. I would have paid good money to have seen the instructor's face though!