Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving soon - Advice needed!

Moving soon - Advice needed!

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving soon - Advice needed!

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yes i know of two lads who have done just that and come to the US on the VWP but the OP and boyfriend are selling up their uk home
I don't believe you can coach kids on a VWP...
The OP actually has a green card through her Dad. But the bf is the one with the '3 month visa' so it may be time for them to walk down the aisle...
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola9
Visa enabling him to work for 3 months!
Please tell us exactly what visa he has.

What does he plan to do at the end of the three months? It might be far too early for him to be selling all he owns.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Please tell us exactly what visa he has.

What does he plan to do at the end of the three months? It might be far too early for him to be selling all he owns.
I presume he's intending to stay (illegally)...maybe even marry the OP.

As far as selling everything he owns...he's going to encounter problems at the POE if immigration ask for proof of ties to the UK.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

yes i know of two lads who have done just that and come to the US on the VWP but the OP and boyfriend are selling up their uk home
If they received money for coaching or doing something that normally would be considered a paid job they were working illegally if they entered on the VWP.

Coaching at summer camp...which I took it to be...I think he would need a J1 visa.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I love about this site. The most innocent of questions/comments can throw open the biggest can of worms! You never know where a post might take you!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I don't believe you can coach kids on a VWP...
no you can't and that was my point to jerseygirl ...the two lads i was talking about did a school exchange and entered using the VWP.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

no you can't and that was my point to jerseygirl ...the two lads i was talking about did a school exchange and entered using the VWP.
OK well that makes it a little clearer.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

can we bring things like the ..... DAB radio?
As nobody picked up on this, I'll tell you that there is no US equivalent of DAB, so you wouldn't receive anything on it if you brought it.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I met some guys at the American embassy who were doing the coaching thing for summer. All legit. IIRC, H2 visa.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:23 am
Here, there, everywhere..

nicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nice

Wow, an innocent question certainly does open a can of worms!

Thanks to the guy who answered my question about DAB!

To set the record straight my boyf doesn't actually have a great deal of belongings to sell, we are selling our flat regardless of whether we end up living permanently in the US or anywhere else because we don't want to be tied down to a mortgage for now. He has a J1 visa which is enabling him to work for 3 months, what I should probably say is that if this doesn't work out it's not the end of the world we are just going to see where it takes us, we might travel for a while after that anyway we just want to see what doors it opens (if any!). We have been together for nearly 6 years and would love to get married but the American Immigration Department have made me sign a document to say that I won't get married before I enter the country. We probably will get married eventually but it certainly won't be just so he can end up staying in the US.

After waiting 7 years for my green card I'm not that stupid to risk everything by him working illegally likewise if nothing comes of it we will just try something else!

Hope that answers everyones questions!

I guess I'll leave the DAB here!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks to the guy who answered my question about DAB!

To set the record straight my boyf doesn't actually have a great deal of belongings to sell, we are selling our flat regardless of whether we end up living permanently in the US or anywhere else because we don't want to be tied down to a mortgage for now. He has a J1 visa which is enabling him to work for 3 months, what I should probably say is that if this doesn't work out it's not the end of the world we are just going to see where it takes us, we might travel for a while after that anyway we just want to see what doors it opens (if any!). We have been together for nearly 6 years and would love to get married but the American Immigration Department have made me sign a document to say that I won't get married before I enter the country. We probably will get married eventually but it certainly won't be just so he can end up staying in the US.

After waiting 7 years for my green card I'm not that stupid to risk everything by him working illegally likewise if nothing comes of it we will just try something else!

Hope that answers everyones questions!

I guess I'll leave the DAB here!
Looks like you're all set for a fun summer in Cali.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:57 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

yes - hope you have a fab time!

i have a great dab radio sitting here in a box as i didnt ask the question before i came lol!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:27 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

American HD radios (DAB) and UK DAB radios work on different technology I think. You could bring it over, but you wouldn't hear anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_radio

It is important to point out two things, one, you cannot work on a visa waiver, which I gather you have sorted with the 3 month J1 visa, and two, do not have your boyfriend OVERSTAY his visa. At the end of the 90 days, he needs to leave the country.

Believe it or not, overstaying a visa can have some very serious ramifications. There are bans on re-entering the USA lasting from 3 to 10 years for people who overstayed and then left.

It might be possible to zip out to some other place (Canada, Mexico) and then come back for another 90 days on a Visa Waiver, though this is frowned upon and some people have been denied re-entrance after trying to 'top up' their visa waivers.

I mention this because you were talking about traveling when it was done and that might not necessarily be the easiest thing to do.

Once you do get in the US and say he goes back to the UK, then you could 'have him propose' and get engaged and then have him come back on a fiancee visa (do a search, lots of info on that).

Just don't overstay the limits. Very important.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:19 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

We probably will get married eventually but it certainly won't be just so he can end up staying in the US.
If you got married now, he would receive his immigrant visa in about 5 years time! I think the can of worms is because your immigration facts simply don't match your expressed plans.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:29 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Further...

You as a permanent resident are generally expected to live in the US.
Your bf is not expected to live here.

It's an issue -- one you don't seem to have approached, yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.