Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Seattle

Moving to Seattle

Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

JacWebster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Seattle

my husband and I are moving to Seattle from the UK. Anyone have any tips on where to live, things to do, things to avoid, places to go, places to avoid?
Is it also true that if you are there on an L1 and L2 visas, you have to leave the country every 3 months, even if it's for a night? Just sounds strange to me!
Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Seattle

Originally Posted by JacWebster View Post
my husband and I are moving to Seattle from the UK. Anyone have any tips on where to live, things to do, things to avoid, places to go, places to avoid?
Is it also true that if you are there on an L1 and L2 visas, you have to leave the country every 3 months, even if it's for a night? Just sounds strange to me!
I can't help you about Seattle...but no you do not need to leave the US.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 15th 2016 at 4:24 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 16th 2016, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Traffic is horrendous, the mountains are beautiful, avoid standard commute times/routes, go hiking.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Yup ^^^
Old Mar 17th 2016, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JacWebster View Post
That is incorrect, as Jerseygirl mentioned.

One thing that I wasn't immediately aware of when I received my L1 visa is the that visa does not allow any moonlighting, so your husband cannot do any side work for a different employer (or even himself). Just something to be aware of. It might be very tempting to do side projects for people (or a small startup, perhaps) but it isn't allowed.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

leah_aalin is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucky you! I was just in Seattle on a bit of a reconnaissance mission as I am looking to move back to the states with my family (I am a USC) but it doesn't look likely at the moment as house prices there are INSANE. Be ready for traffic (lots and lots of traffic) and if you're buying a house, get yourself a very good realtor as competition is fierce. If you have a vague idea where you're looking to settle, PM me and I'd be happy to share what I know.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 1:07 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian View Post
Traffic is horrendous, the mountains are beautiful, avoid standard commute times/routes, go hiking.
LOL you've clearly never lived in Los Angeles.