Reload this Page >

Moving to San Francisco bay?

Moving to San Francisco bay?

Old Dec 8th 2013, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Doogaly is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to San Francisco bay?

Hi All
Am completely new to this site after being offered a job in Fremont, and they want me to start early in the new year. Because of the Visa situation I'll be working from the UK until about October when the H1b is sorted, with a bit of travelling in the meantime.
Its a big decision as I'm sure most here know. Having researched a bit, I really fancy Pleasanton, quite similar to my home town Chester. I have 2 boys, 7 and 3, so schooling is very important, a big reason for Pleasanton. The wife won't be able to (or want to) work for a few years until the green card is sorted. My biggest concern is the cost of living. Been offered about 130k, but they seem keen and have suggested negotiation is probable.
Does this sound feasible? The company seem to have a good health insurance package. But obviously would need to buy 2 cars, rent (looking at $3.5k / month) and probably 1000 other things I've not even considered.
Would welcome any opinions / advice from people in that area to help me make up my mind on such a big decision.
Thanks all in anticipation
Doogaly
Old Dec 8th 2013, 9:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to San Francisco bay?

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Though with waiting for so long and presuming you're working for their UK office till October, after a few more months in the UK you could get a company transfer, which is a nice back up and if you've got family would be a better option as the missus would be able to apply for a EAD and work.

Anyway, the wiki up top is worth a read. There's a good section on things in a relocation package, medical, credit and insurance.

Also want to read and understand what the medical insurance is all about because it being offered doesn't mean it's all that great after co-pays, deductibles etc, etc. Though it could well be great!

city-data.com and salary.com are decent places to see how the money will fair.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 9:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Doogaly
Hi All
Am completely new to this site after being offered a job in Fremont, and they want me to start early in the new year. Because of the Visa situation I'll be working from the UK until about October when the H1b is sorted, with a bit of travelling in the meantime.
No guarantee you'll get a H1B. The visa was over-subscribed in April this year and about 50% were rejected as a result. What's the backup plan if the same thing happens in April 2014?

Any reason why they can't sponsor you for an Immigrant Visa? There is no need to get the H1B first.

You may have a U.S. and/or California tax liability if you work remotely. Also be careful about what exactly you do while in the U.S. on the visa waiver.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

Good luck with you H1B application! We lucked out in the lottery this year, but hubby's company took him on anyway and we're going over on an L1 instead next year, hopefully in July. Although we were really disappointed initially, the work visa for me will be a bonus - I don't plan to work, but at least it gives me the choice.

Anyway, whilst my husband will be right in the heart of Silicon Valley, we're also looking at Pleasanton. Our children are 7 and 4, so schools and a good family-orientated community are high on our list. They are a lovely farmers market every Saturday, parades every week in the summer and lots of other community events. Prices too - he'll be on $150-160k, and by my reckoning, that's the minimum we'll need to get by in the Bay Area. We have friends who live there, and love it. Check out Greatschools.org for detail on all the schools - I've narrowed our choices down to Walnut Grove, Vintage Hills and Phoebe Hurst, and will be visiting all three when we take the kids over in April.

Good luck! Any questions on Pleasanton, just ask - I've been researching for almost a year now, so have just of info!
Old Dec 9th 2013, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for the responses, there some really good points there.
I hadn't appreciated the Visa situation JAJ, so must check that with the company.
I'll check out the wiki stuff tonight Bob, knowing that there is an option for the wife to be able to work is good to know
And Lucybell, that's the exact reason we looked at Pleasanton, it seems great for the schools and a really friendly atmosphere, not too different to Cheshire where we live now, but obviously with much better weather.

No doubt i'll have a ton more questions, so I'll probably be back on here again soon.
Many thanks all
Doogaly
Old Dec 9th 2013, 1:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the responses, there some really good points there.
I hadn't appreciated the Visa situation JAJ, so must check that with the company.
I'll check out the wiki stuff tonight Bob, knowing that there is an option for the wife to be able to work is good to know
And Lucybell, that's the exact reason we looked at Pleasanton, it seems great for the schools and a really friendly atmosphere, not too different to Cheshire where we live now, but obviously with much better weather.

No doubt i'll have a ton more questions, so I'll probably be back on here again soon.
Many thanks all
Doogaly
Welcome to BE...I lived in Chester for 17 years before moving to the US.

Do not think anywhere in the US is similar to the UK...it is not.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 9th 2013 at 1:55 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE...I lived in Chester for 17 years before moving to the US.

Do not think anywhere in the US is similar to the UK...it is not.
You say that - but Pleasanton has definitely got more of a UK feel to it than any other US town I've visited. It's got a relatively small, compact "town centre", with lots of interesting shops and restaurants, and you can actually walk to and round it!
Old Dec 9th 2013, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

I have a job in Pleasanton, we moved to California from NC last October, 4 kids so finding a 4/5 bed house with even a high rent was almost impossible, so we had to rent in Livermore for a year. We didn't want to rent anymore so looked everywhere locally to buy, Pleasanton, San Ramon, Danville, Livermore, Dublin - eventually the only place that made TOTAL sense was San Ramon - our area had all 10/10 on greatschools.org and with the Iron Horse Trail an easy walk for ALL children to school.

We lived in Livermore for a year, couldn't wait to get out - the high schools were a mess - Dublin was bad for walking anywhere.

Pleasanton is great - don't get me wrong, the high street is nice but for day to day life we still felt Pleasanton (unless you live right on top of downtown) was still not that good for walking anywhere - our place in San Ramon was great for walking/cycling with access to the Trail.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hawkini
I have a job in Pleasanton, we moved to California from NC last October, 4 kids so finding a 4/5 bed house with even a high rent was almost impossible, so we had to rent in Livermore for a year. We didn't want to rent anymore so looked everywhere locally to buy, Pleasanton, San Ramon, Danville, Livermore, Dublin - eventually the only place that made TOTAL sense was San Ramon - our area had all 10/10 on greatschools.org and with the Iron Horse Trail an easy walk for ALL children to school.

We lived in Livermore for a year, couldn't wait to get out - the high schools were a mess - Dublin was bad for walking anywhere.

Pleasanton is great - don't get me wrong, the high street is nice but for day to day life we still felt Pleasanton (unless you live right on top of downtown) was still not that good for walking anywhere - our place in San Ramon was great for walking/cycling with access to the Trail.
San Ramon was another place on our list - gorgeous houses there! However, Pleasanton ranks higher for us due to having friends living there.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 7:34 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkini

Originally Posted by Lucybell33
San Ramon was another place on our list - gorgeous houses there! However, Pleasanton ranks higher for us due to having friends living there.
I kind of wish we had looked more at that side of the Bay. My husband works in Palo Alto, and often works 9am-10pm, so didn't want him to have a long commute, so we chose Mountain View. We absolutely love living here, but it's so expensive, even compared to Pleasanton/San Ramon. We could probably afford to buy at that side, where as here I'm not sure how we'll ever be able to.

Moving now isn't an option, we've got an 11 year old, who is currently in her 5th school and loves her friends and life here. We couldn't possibly put her through another move unless there was absolutely no alternative. Paying less on rent, just isn't a good enough reason.

I agree with Jersey, no where in the US is like the UK, however, the areas around the Bay do have the high street thing with shops/restaurants/bars, that I've not come across anywhere else in the US.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 8:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucybell33
You say that - but Pleasanton has definitely got more of a UK feel to it than any other US town I've visited. It's got a relatively small, compact "town centre", with lots of interesting shops and restaurants, and you can actually walk to and round it!
There are plenty of towns in the US with a walkable town centre with lots of interesting shops and restaurants...but I have yet to find one that is like the UK. The OP mentioned Chester...the town a few miles west of us is called Chester...named after the UK city where the first setters came from. It is a lovely little town with a great town centre...but it is nothing like the Chester where I used to live in the UK...perhaps that's got something to do with the Romans.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

There are plenty of towns in the US with a walkable town centre with lots of interesting shops and restaurants...but I have yet to find one that is like the UK. The OP mentioned Chester...the town a few miles west of us is called Chester...named after the UK city where the first setters came from. It is a lovely little town with a great town centre...but it is nothing like the Chester where I used to live in the UK...perhaps that's got something to do with the Romans.
Realistically, nowhere outside the UK is going to be quite like the UK. Personally, it's the vastly better weather I'm looking forward to, and having a vague UK feel about the place is a bonus!
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in New England last summer I was shocked by how much of it looked so much like the UK. I attribute this to living in the desert Southwest for a decade; when I was in New England in 2003 it didn't look like England to me at all
Old Dec 9th 2013, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

it's great to hear all your comments - am really liking this site for the expat family feel
I have been in the US a few times, I used to work out in Arizona occasionally, and have done an East to West trip, I think I have a fairly good idea of what to expect. I'm not expecting the US to be like the UK, but I also like the idea of somewhere where you can walk to the town centre rather than have to drive everywhere. I'm not really doing this because I don't like where I live or the UK, in fact I love Chester and have a good job, but the opportunity has presented itself to me, and it's something I have to consider. a new experience, and I hope new opportunities for the kids.
it's a tough one as I'm sure you all know, and I appreciate the comments as it helps to give me a more rounded opinion rather than just what you read on websites.
for the people in the Bay area, does 130k sound too little to have a good quality of life? I'm reckoning 150 is more realistic? just to many variables to work out on 1 spreadsheet!
Old Dec 9th 2013, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

it's great to hear all your comments - am really liking this site for the expat family feel
I have been in the US a few times, I used to work out in Arizona occasionally, and have done an East to West trip, I think I have a fairly good idea of what to expect. I'm not expecting the US to be like the UK, but I also like the idea of somewhere where you can walk to the town centre rather than have to drive everywhere. I'm not really doing this because I don't like where I live or the UK, in fact I love Chester and have a good job, but the opportunity has presented itself to me, and it's something I have to consider. a new experience, and I hope new opportunities for the kids.
it's a tough one as I'm sure you all know, and I appreciate the comments as it helps to give me a more rounded opinion rather than just what you read on websites.
Don't feel you have to apologise for wanting to make the move and trying something new! I was in the exact same position. Thought an adventure would be fun, and it was, and I love living here. After the adjustment period, I settled in well. Best of luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.