Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to San Diego

Moving to San Diego

Old May 20th 2015, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to San Diego

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
So you're projecting your personal issues onto strangers with low incomes.

I'm doing the math(s), and the numbers are tight. This is a matter of arithmetic, not emotion. Are you going to help these two if things don't go well for them?
Do you actually live in San Diego? Do you actually have experience of how much things cost here?
Old May 20th 2015, 2:19 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Did not realise you were just a youth.
I am younger than Yorkie thought I was (he thought I was older than him ), and apparently I am younger than you thought I was too.
Old May 20th 2015, 2:21 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
Do you actually live in San Diego? Do you actually have experience of how much things cost here?
You act as if rent is the only expense that is relevant here.

You don't even know what they're going to pay for health insurance, for example. Did you think to ask, or did you assume that the health insurance fairy was going to take care of everything?

Again, are you going to bail them out if they need the help? The question is not rhetorical, as you are insisting that they rely upon you for guidance and to ignore anyone who urges caution. That is not much money to support two people, particularly if they have to buy two cars and insure two cars without any US driving history.
Old May 20th 2015, 2:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am younger than Yorkie thought I was (he thought I was older than him ), and apparently I am younger than you thought I was too.
Sierra did not come into the 80s so an old one.....
Old May 20th 2015, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

You act as if rent is the only expense that is relevant here.

You don't even know what they're going to pay for health insurance, for example. Did you think to ask, or did you assume that the health insurance fairy was going to take care of everything?
This has been mentioned by others already and is of course of utmost priority. I thought we'd already bashed that part to death earlier in the thread.

Again, are you going to bail them out if they need the help? The question is not rhetorical, as you are insisting that they rely upon you for guidance and to ignore anyone who urges caution.
I don't recall insisting that they ignore you and others.

That is not much money to support two people, particularly if they have to buy two cars and insure two cars without any US driving history.
True. But you assume they don't have any savings or liquid capital.

Over and out. OP, PM me as needed. I'm done here.
Old May 20th 2015, 2:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sierra did not come into the 80s so an old one.....
It had a prefix year letter registration.
Old May 20th 2015, 2:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can still remember the number for my Mums car 690 WTW

The first car I bought was a Hunter, wheel fell off in a pub car park, not worth repairing,
Old May 20th 2015, 3:03 am

I can still remember the number for my Mums car 690 WTW

The first car I bought was a Hunter, wheel fell off in a pub car park, not worth repairing,
My first car was a Morris Ital. The best thing about it was that it was totalled 48 days after I bought it!

HAA 622W ..... which is now the tag on our Honda Accord.
Old May 20th 2015, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I don't have much to add since most things to think about have been said.

However since I live in Poway and you mentioned it in your first post I would say that the apartments that are going to 1,300 per month are small, one bedroom units not in a particularly great part of town. Most of Poway rentals have been around for some time and in the south end of town. They ARE very convenient for the town center though.

Personally, if I was age 28 and worked in Sorrento Valley I would try for something closer like Carmel Valley (more expensive probably), or Mira Mesa. I'd even look in Del Mar and the small towns along the coast. At your age you should be looking for places with a bit of fun - Poway is for families.

You will definitely need to get a car as soon as you arrive. Getting to Sorrento Valley is virtually impossible by public transport.

I think you have a great opportunity and while I agree that 50K is not a fabulous salary (I put a link to a website that gives you some idea as to what you could expect to take home after taxes, social security and Medicare costs) it's too good to miss.

$50000 Federal Tax Calculator 2015/2016 | 2015 Tax Refund Calculator

Well stated.

We have a rental in Carmel Valley, in probably the least expensive and oldest complex. We rent it out for $1450 a month. It's just over 600 sq feet, so tiny. But it is commutable by bicycle to Sorrento Valley, Torrey Pines etc.
Old May 20th 2015, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My first car was a Morris Ital. The best thing about it was that it was totalled 48 days after I bought it!

HAA 622W ..... which is now the tag on our Honda Accord.
Just googled this car. It almost looks like an 85 Skoda
Old May 20th 2015, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sherbert
I'm not misleading him: I live here on a little bit more than 50k and it's perfectly possible. 1000 gets you something small and liveable if your requirements are simple - yes not the best of course but we've all got to start somewhere. And there's also the added bonus that most landlords pay the water bills so that's a small expense of the list.
I'm curious - which area/s of San Diego are you thinking he could spend $1000pcm for a one bedder and be commutable to SV? I suppose some of the older complexes in Clairemont might charge this. Anywhere else?
Old May 20th 2015, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

FinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I'm curious - which area/s of San Diego are you thinking he could spend $1000pcm for a one bedder and be commutable to SV? I suppose some of the older complexes in Clairemont might charge this. Anywhere else?
Everywhere is commutable given enough patience. Sorrento Valley is a pain from just about everywhere, it's just a question of priorities. I live in University Heights for example, and take the commute pain in order to live in a nice dense established urban area - I rarely drive anywhere on weekends! For $1k you're looking at City Heights though...

I think there are two different questions here:

1) Can you live in San Diego on $50k? Yes you can, lot of people do that, but it isn't exactly fun. You'll need to be careful about transportation, health insurance etc, and flexible in terms of neighborhoods.

2) Should the OP move to San Diego for a $50k job on an L1? Obviously this is ultimately their decision, but I'd actually argue no, at least unless there's a written guarantee to start the green card process right away and/or a good repatriation guarantee for the first couple of years. Remember that you can't change employers on an L1 visa, and in California you can effectively be let go with no notice or reason required. If you lose your job on an L1 visa you need to leave the country - your immigration status is tied to your job.

For an expensive area like San Diego a $50k salary isn't worth those risks in my opinion, and since it sounds really low for an L1-eligible position here I'd question the employer's motivation. Are they just looking for cheap labor who cannot complain or find an alternative job? Of course if you're young, looking for an experience, and realize this isn't a way to move permanently to the US but just a temporary gig for a couple of years things may be different.
Old May 20th 2015, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FinnDiego
Everywhere is commutable given enough patience. Sorrento Valley is a pain from just about everywhere, it's just a question of priorities. I live in University Heights for example, and take the commute pain in order to live in a nice dense established urban area - I rarely drive anywhere on weekends! For $1k you're looking at City Heights though...

I think there are two different questions here:

1) Can you live in San Diego on $50k? Yes you can, lot of people do that, but it isn't exactly fun. You'll need to be careful about transportation, health insurance etc, and flexible in terms of neighborhoods.

2) Should the OP move to San Diego for a $50k job on an L1? Obviously this is ultimately their decision, but I'd actually argue no, at least unless there's a written guarantee to start the green card process right away and/or a good repatriation guarantee for the first couple of years. Remember that you can't change employers on an L1 visa, and in California you can effectively be let go with no notice or reason required. If you lose your job on an L1 visa you need to leave the country - your immigration status is tied to your job.

For an expensive area like San Diego a $50k salary isn't worth those risks in my opinion, and since it sounds really low for an L1-eligible position here I'd question the employer's motivation. Are they just looking for cheap labor who cannot complain or find an alternative job? Of course if you're young, looking for an experience, and realize this isn't a way to move permanently to the US but just a temporary gig for a couple of years things may be different.
I was on $33000/year when i came to San diego in 2004. I rented a room for 6 months and then moved on to a 1 bedroom apartment in pacific beach for $950/month. No one paid for any of my rent either. That was a great time in my life. I have had an amazing time in San Diego from then till now. My biggest purchase was a car and a surfboard.

$50,000 is very doable. Their take home will be about $3500/month (married filing jointly). They could pay $1500/month rent and still have plenty of fun. $500 for groceries. $50 utilities (apartment living).

Most postdocs make less than 50K coming across to San Diego and they do fine (42K is the NIH minimum stipend). They have a great time in San diego and visiting different places in CA, NV and UT.

Just do it OP, you will not regret it.

ps Go live in Pacific Beach. Your wife will be able to walk to the beach, there is plenty to do for young folks, there is the 30 bus to other parts of San Diego. Forget Poway, Clairemont, UTC(yawn), Del Mar, Solano beach, Mire Mesa. These are all great places for natives/long term transplants but ain't for you young guys looking to kick back. There are also many, many apartments and the landlords are used to foreigners in pacific beach.

The commute from PB will just be getting on the 5 and off at sorrento valley. https://screen.yahoo.com/californian...000000032.html Leave early <7 or late >9 and you'll be good.
And learn the CA way of life
Old May 20th 2015, 6:39 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
I was on $33000/year when i came to San diego in 2004. I rented a room for 6 months and then moved on to a 1 bedroom apartment in pacific beach for $950/month. No one paid for any of my rent either. That was a great time in my life. I have had an amazing time in San Diego from then till now. My biggest purchase was a car and a surfboard.

$50,000 is very doable. Their take home will be about $3500/month (married filing jointly). They could pay $1500/month rent and still have plenty of fun. $500 for groceries. $50 utilities (apartment living).

Most postdocs make less than 50K coming across to San Diego and they do fine (42K is the NIH minimum stipend). They have a great time in San diego and visiting different places in CA, NV and UT.

Just do it OP, you will not regret it.
Ugh. Even though I'm in the 'do it if you really want to and have your eyes totally open about the financial and practical realities' camp, the whole 'just do it' rhetoric really sets my teeth on edge. I think there's a lot of misty-eyed nostalgia for being young, single and broke. I also think whatever company is bringing L1s over on $50k is relying on this kind of bullshit (live the California dream!) to get any employee to even consider it.

But this is $50,000 for two people, in their late twenties. I don't know any post-doc couples living the high-life on that; certainly none getting the chance to travel lots. And $50 for utilities is never going to happen. I must dig out some of our old bills. $50 for water, power, cable and cellphones?

This is supposed to be a professional opportunity, not a great chance for some 21-year-old to come enjoy the sunshine, live in a flatshare, eat beans and dig through the sales racks.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; May 20th 2015 at 6:48 am.
Old May 20th 2015, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
But I'm sure a lot has changed in 11 years, or are prices still the same?
If you're young, single and aren't bothered about tomorrow, it will probably be fine. Again it's probably just a personal lifestyle choice, but if they are at a age where saving makes sense (deposit for home, children etc.), they'd be wasting $1000+ a month on rent, are losing a salary and are in a more expensive area where money doesn't take you that far, so not really better quality of life. That's over $25.000+ lost a year and in two years $50.000.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.