Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Phoenix

Moving to Phoenix

Old Mar 5th 2016, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Clahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Phoenix

Hi all,

So having only relocated from the UK to NJ 6 months ago, we are possibly making another move to Phoenix, AZ.

It's a very daunting prospect, especially as we have 3 young kids.

I'm wondering if anyone can pass on any thoughts, knowledge, experience etc of moving to Phoenix.
We're looking at Scottsdale as I've heard it's a nice area with good schools.

My husband will be working in Desert Ridge.

Is there a decent expat community in PHX?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 5th 2016, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Phoenix

I moved from Phoenix last year, having lived there for nearly 4 years. Scottsdale is a good area, with lots of young families and a ton of activities, nice waterparks, good shopping, libraries, etc. Easy commute to Desert Ridge, too. It's likely to be your best choice in Phx for a social life that doesn't necessarily revolve around church, if that's not your thing (if it is - then great! You'll fit right in!)

Schools throughout Scottsdale are generally very good, so although there's open enrollment, you'll almost certainly just be able to go to the neighborhood one for a good education.

It's pricy for housing, although will probably seem cheap after NJ, specially property taxes which are very low in Pheonix generally.

There is no expat community whatsoever, sadly. You might get lucky and run into the odd one. But the locals are very friendly and inclusive, especially since you'll have the children as an in. You should get lots of casual family entertaining invites, swim parties, BBQs, etc.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 1:16 am
Just Joined

mj0903 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Phoenix

I have friends who moved from Brighton to Phoenix a year ago and are in Scottsdale. The wife has found a few 'newcomer' groups and seems to have settled in well...she isn't working. School wise, they have their son in private school and seem very happy

Good luck!