Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving pet to USA

Moving pet to USA

Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light
Default Moving pet to USA

Hi All,

Has anyone any experiences to share about shipping cats / dogs from UK to USA? Recommendations for companies to use? Approximate cost? Vaccination requirements etc.

Would really appreciate some help here....

Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:36 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving pet to USA

Well whatever you do - don't crate the beeding thing.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

BrightontoBoston will become famous soon enoughBrightontoBoston will become famous soon enough

Buy an airline approved crate from airpets or similar......
I purchased mine from
http://www.petplaypads.co.uk/index.p...dex&cPath=5_36
They were the cheapest at the time...
I got the extra large one for the cat (same price on the plane) the arrivals people thought there was a bear in there it was so big!

Take them as excess baggage, cheapest option!
You may need a certificate of Rabies shots etc for some states arrival.

Remember to stop at Petco the minute you leave the airport, the little critters will need a wizzz!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Well whatever you do - don't crate the beeding thing.

Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:43 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

I meant bleeding thing ...
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BrightontoBoston
Buy an airline approved crate from airpets or similar......
I purchased mine from
http://www.petplaypads.co.uk/index.p...dex&cPath=5_36
They were the cheapest at the time...
I got the extra large one for the cat (same price on the plane) the arrivals people thought there was a bear in there it was so big!

Take them as excess baggage, cheapest option!
You may need a certificate of Rabies shots etc for some states arrival.

Remember to stop at Petco the minute you leave the airport, the little critters will need a wizzz!
Hi - how much did the flight for them cost? How do I go about it - sorry - complete novice with this....
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

BrightontoBoston will become famous soon enoughBrightontoBoston will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
Hi - how much did the flight for them cost? How do I go about it - sorry - complete novice with this....
They came out with us on United, he was $60 if my memory's right, they just charge you what the excess baggage fee is currently..... United were pretty cool they give you a little ticket when they finish loading (torn off the crate) that confirms "I'm a precious cargo called "****" and I am on board.
You will have to take them out of the crate for the security to check the crate (not the animal)....

Don't sedate them.
Do put some ice cubes for them to drink lick as they melt (strangely these were still ice on arrival in Boston - must be pretty cold in the hold but it's supposed to be climate controlled).
some other sites from my research in 2005....
http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...pets/index.jsp
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar....htm#transport
http://www.airpets.com/
http://www.parair.co.uk/
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Have a search for threads, quite a few for people moving to Houston and the like...but a lot will depend on time of year your moving and where abouts because some air lines won't fly a pet during certain summer months etc...
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Have a search for threads, quite a few for people moving to Houston and the like...but a lot will depend on time of year your moving and where abouts because some air lines won't fly a pet during certain summer months etc...
Hi - yes I looked at those - after I had posted though (bad form)

Erm....why was this thread moved? Anyone any idea?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - yes I looked at those - after I had posted though (bad form)

Erm....why was this thread moved? Anyone any idea?
Probably because you posted in the wrong forum....where was it moved from?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Probably because you posted in the wrong forum....where was it moved from?
The Trailer Park - thought that was the most appropriate....guess I was wrong! Doesn't matter - just was confused by it!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The Trailer Park - thought that was the most appropriate....guess I was wrong! Doesn't matter - just was confused by it!
trailer park is more for casual threads rather than living in the US and things to do with moving, which is what the USA forum is for...it helps trying things on track when doing a search for a subject
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
trailer park is more for casual threads rather than living in the US and things to do with moving, which is what the USA forum is for...it helps trying things on track when doing a search for a subject
Thanks Bob - I'll remember in the future
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

We flew our 2 cats from Gatwick to Atlanta via BA - only airline to do unaccompanied pets (couldnt do it as excess baggage) on that route... Came to £777 in total.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Has anyone any experiences to share about shipping cats / dogs from UK to USA? Recommendations for companies to use? Approximate cost? Vaccination requirements etc.

Would really appreciate some help here....

Thanks
i brought my 2 cats..

went to pet play pads for the box.. its twice the price in the UK than it is in the US but hey, so's most things... Got the optional comfort pads too, i would recommend these!
Got a cert from my vet saying the cats were healthy, it was about £20 each.
Called the airline (american) and told them we were bringing cats. It cost $120 per cat from london to nashville via chicago. You cant prebook them as the flight may reach its limit for livestock in cargo before you check in (tip... get there early!) Make sure you speak with someone in reservations and they will put a note on your booking to expect pets.
Check in is a breeze BUT if the weather is set to be under 9c or over 15c they wont let your pet travel!!!!!!!!

I got my vet to write on the medical cert that my cats were good to travel between 1c and 20c. We checked in and at first they refused the cats as it was due to be 3c in chicago. I finally convinced them that its down to the vet and that the airline would not be responsible should they get sick due to temperature..... and they let my cats on.

Also, you dont need a rabies jab to come here as the UK is a non rabies country... but when you get here you should get your pet the jab and its LOADS cheaper here.... i was quoted £60 in the UK... it was $8 here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.