Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to PA

Moving to PA

Old May 30th 2018, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

LindaL is just really niceLindaL is just really niceLindaL is just really niceLindaL is just really niceLindaL is just really niceLindaL is just really niceLindaL is just really niceLindaL is just really nice
Default Moving to PA

We’re living in Houston at the moment but will be moving to Pennsylvania in a few months and commuting to the Monaca area, does anybody have any advice on where to rent to live? Like to be near pubs/shops etc the usual stuff, no kids so schools not a problem......cheers!
Old May 30th 2018, 8:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to PA

I had to look up where that was. It is 25 miles NW of Pittsburgh, PA on the Ohio border. I'm sure there at some point in time has been a member or two who have moved to this rather remote area. If you're lucky, they are still around and will be able to offer advice. Are you moving to a job transfer? If so, does the company have a relocation agent you can use? I would check out city data to see what they have to say about the area. Good luck.
Old May 30th 2018, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LindaL
We’re living in Houston at the moment but will be moving to Pennsylvania in a few months and commuting to the Monaca area, does anybody have any advice on where to rent to live? Like to be near pubs/shops etc the usual stuff, no kids so schools not a problem......cheers!
Shell ethane plant ?
Old May 30th 2018, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Cranbury Township seems nice nearby
Old May 30th 2018, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

There are several BE members around Cranbury IIRC.
Old May 31st 2018, 12:40 pm
JJ123

Jamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond repute

I live about an hour away in Wheeling, WV. Moved from the UK just under 5 weeks ago. If it was me, without kids, and I wanted to be near pubs, shops and stuff, the obvious choice would be to live in Pittsburgh. You'd be looking at a 45 minute commute every morning though, not sure if that's of interest to you. Pittsburgh is great, has some really nice areas to live for not a lot of money, 3 awesome Sports teams if you're into that, huge selection of bars/restaurants/nightlife. It's very much an up and coming city, with a lot of big companies deciding to have regional HQ's there. The airport is pretty nice too, and you have a pretty cheap way of flying back to the U.K with WOW Air via Reykjavik if needed. Be prepared for the harsh winters though, they are nasty!
Old May 31st 2018, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

LindaL is just really niceLindaL is just really niceLindaL is just really niceLindaL is just really niceLindaL is just really niceLindaL is just really niceLindaL is just really niceLindaL is just really nice

Yes SteveQ, I’ll be looking at Cranberry, thanks all 😊
Old May 31st 2018, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

leema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is from ‘just over the bridge’ from Monaca. She reckons that Cranberry is about a 45 minute commute from there.

Beaver is a nice little town with lovely shops and restaurants. The town itself is a dry town so there is no alcohol sold in restaurants but a few of them have ‘bring your own bottle’ policies. There are some great bars just outside though - ‘Kelly’s Riverside Saloon’ is a fantastic place with an outside area that sits right on the river. There is also a great bar called ‘Thursdays’ too. Not sure if this matters to you but I would describe it as very middle class and very republican but I’m from the U.K. and my wife, who is from Beaver describes it as ‘lots of older republicans and younger democrats’. I was back and forward from Scotland to Beaver for 8 years or so before becoming a PR and I love the town.

My wife suggests that you also check out Sewickley which she reckons is even nicer than Beaver but would be a commute of 30 minutes or more.

Happy to to pass on any questions you have to her if you need any other info.
Old May 31st 2018, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Leema5, I’ll def look into Sewickly, think we’ll give Beaver a miss if it’s dry, lived near a dry county in Kentucky once, not for us!! Also likeminded the idea of it being relatively close to the airport.....