Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Orlando FL Help!

Moving to Orlando FL Help!

Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Orlando FL Help!

Originally Posted by pen1
Seems to me these forums are all about keeping the 'club' exclusive. I dont often venture here unless Im really bored as the negativity is draining. Also seems any posts offering local support clubs (not advertising we are not selling anything) are deleted by the admins here. For those of you who do find your way Stateside please rest assured the majority of us expats are welcoming inclusive and supportive.
have a nice day everyone
It's all a bit academic until someone actually has a visa in hand to be able to come over in the first place. In this case, an employer looks to be taking care of it (though there are potential issues on the unmarried partner front), but there are a great many other cases where the poster has a slim to zero chance of ever being allowed to move to the US. It's USCIS who 'keeps the club exclusive', not us.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

pen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My posts containing the support fb groups have been deleted both here and on another thread yesterday by admins, whilst I don't really care I find it amusing the admins forgot to delete the quote from someone else with the details I posted in it. I had nothing but negativity when I began the process of moving here from this site, 'you can't do that you won't get that'. Well surprise surprise I am here and a few years later I feel much more confident about sticking up for those who are getting bashed for their first tentative steps in this big adventure. And for the original poster asking about areas try looking at Windermere and Winter Garden. I am not sure about your commute without looking it up but both are lovely family friendly safe areas.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

does it matter if its academic, some people like to plan and dream and have an idea where they are heading.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

You want to avoid Davenport and Kissimmee as they are mainly vacation villas, so transient neighbors lack of schools etc etc. Also avoid known ghetto areas like Pine Hills. Plenty of rentals and sales in residential areas like Windermere and Winter Garden
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:09 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

does it matter if its academic, some people like to plan and dream and have an idea where they are heading.
People can plan and dream all they want, but the visa requirements are set out pretty clearly in the wiki and if someone doesn't fit into any category, but yet still believes they are somehow going to be allowed in to the US to live, surely they're just wasting their time at that point?

Again, it isn't us who makes the rules, it's US immigration. Isn't it better that we point out the reality of emigrating here, rather than string people along?
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

R1chn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
People can plan and dream all they want, but the visa requirements are set out pretty clearly in the wiki and if someone doesn't fit into any category, but yet still believes they are somehow going to be allowed in to the US to live, surely they're just wasting their time at that point?

Again, it isn't us who makes the rules, it's US immigration. Isn't it better that we point out the reality of emigrating here, rather than string people along?
Hi Both

In the end both points are actually helpful and we have learnt from the comments made re visa's however there are many contributing factors for our move and accepting any failed visa application may be a limiting one we are working on the assumption that it will come through like it did for pen1. If it doesnt then what a fantasitc learning experience it will have been and afterall life is all about experiences (hence the move) and I'd sooner go through the learning than bury my head in the sand. Thats how ive made it to board level of a multimillion £ business at a, relativly speaking, young age.

Overall thanks to everyone for the advice and pen1 for answering the orginal question that was asked.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:19 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by R1chn
Hi Both

In the end both points are actually helpful and we have learnt from the comments made re visa's however there are many contributing factors for our move and accepting any failed visa application may be a limiting one we are working on the assumption that it will come through like it did for pen1. If it doesnt then what a fantasitc learning experience it will have been and afterall life is all about experiences (hence the move) and I'd sooner go through the learning than bury my head in the sand. Thats how ive made it to board level of a multimillion £ business at a, relativly speaking, young age.

Overall thanks to everyone for the advice and pen1 for answering the orginal question that was asked.
You have somewhat more of a degree of certainty than other posts that have cropped up on the USA forum over the year, because your employer factors into the process.

No joke, there are more "I just got back from holiday to XYZ resort and now we want to move (but we fit no visa category and haven't researched that part) - what do I do?" type posts than you may expect as well. Asking the 'what visa' question just helps to filter that out, so we know we're not stringing someone along.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

does it matter that he doesn't want to share his private business of how and why ....it is none of our business and he is entitled to ask questions without people assuming ..... after all thats exactly what happened to me . I didn't want to share the intricate details either when asking advice and everyone shot me down on here too, hence my 'exclusive club' analogy. Stop assuming, there are plenty of routes here that are not as well known about. Are you suggesting you will only issue advice and support after demanding personal info?
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:26 pm
I have a comma problem

does it matter that he doesn't want to share his private business of how and why ....it is none of our business and he is entitled to ask questions without people assuming ..... after all thats exactly what happened to me . I didn't want to share the intricate details either when asking advice and everyone shot me down on here too, hence my 'exclusive club' analogy. Stop assuming, there are plenty of routes here that are not as well known about. Are you suggesting you will only issue advice and support after demanding personal info?
Asking someone what visa they are entering on isn't asking for personal info. Different visas have different lengths of stay, and factor in on whether a spouse can or can't work. It's perfectly reasonable to ask that, in order to give an adequate answer to questions.

Now I'm not referring specifically to any case, but it's not like we were asking dates of birth or names.

I rarely even offer advice anymore, because I get tired of people getting all defensive, like this, over simple questions asked only for the sake of getting a complete picture. Incomplete questions yield inadequate advice.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Well not everyone knows exactly which visa at the start because like for me there were a couple of possibly routes so the attorney started and made his decision further into the process. We actually fitted into E2 L H1b and NIW for example. And all he asked about were suitable areas to live .......
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What is the visa type? The most common company transfer visa is an L-1A or L-1B, and your spouse would be able to work. The same applies for an E-2, which is also sometimes used for a transfer.
Note the fact that they are "NOT" married.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:32 pm
I have a comma problem

Well not everyone knows exactly which visa at the start because like for me there were a couple of possibly routes so the attorney started and made his decision further into the process. We actually fitted into E2 L H1b and NIW for example.
At least you knew of the visa categories. There are a great many who don't and seem to think being British (usually with a connected platitude like 'honest, hard working, etc') is the only requirement to be able to up sticks and arrive at the US to start anew.

Again, the question is only asked because we like to be as informed as we can be. Wouldn't you agree that it's better to do that than to hand out half arsed advise that could result in someone potentially having to report visa denials on ESTA, or even getting banned from entering at all because they tried something dodgy?
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

But that is none of our business and we shouldn't not give them advice based on that . Supposing they just want B visas to spend six months here, supposing they are going to get married if they need to for visa purposes. Are you saying no advice if you don't appear to qualify ..... Its that exclusive club mentality again
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Often the devil is in the details.

Never been to Florida but if somebody asked the same question of Colorado you would be thinking well Colorado is about the same size as England...
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

But that is none of our business and we shouldn't not give them advice based on that . Supposing they just want B visas to spend six months here, supposing they are going to get married if they need to for visa purposes. Are you saying no advice if you don't appear to qualify .....
If it is a serious enquiry you are going to put a bit of effort into it rather than just another pool cleaner etc time waster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.