Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Ocala, Florida??

Moving to Ocala, Florida??

Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

princesslilly is just really niceprincesslilly is just really niceprincesslilly is just really niceprincesslilly is just really niceprincesslilly is just really niceprincesslilly is just really niceprincesslilly is just really niceprincesslilly is just really nice
Default Moving to Ocala, Florida??

Hi, another newbie here.

My partner and I are thinking of moving to Florida, I would first like to know where we are aiming to move to then I can look further into all the visa info etc.

So please can anyone here tell me more information about Ocala, Florida?? I would like to run a dog grooming, kennel business/ livery stables when I move so please can you tell me if this area is suitable for those?? I will be looking to buy an exisiting business. Are other areas of Florida more suitable??

What is the snake situation there?? I'm not very good when it comes to snakes!

Thanks so much
princesslilly
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:27 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ocala, Florida??

For now, I'll just do the snakes!

I live in Australia. The subject of spiders and snakes comes up often as a cause of concern. I can't talk for Florida of course but the fact is that run ins with these things are pretty rare.

Hopefully, no one will contradict me. Not TOO much anyway.

Alistair.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by princesslilly
I would first like to know where we are aiming to move to then I can look further into all the visa info etc.
Unfortunately, you need to figure out the visa part first - the US is notoriously hard to get in to, so it's the toughest bit of the process for most.

Have a look at this link and see which visa you may qualify for, then you can come back and ask questions about it. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585898

Good luck.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, another newbie here.

My partner and I are thinking of moving to Florida, I would first like to know where we are aiming to move to then I can look further into all the visa info etc.

So please can anyone here tell me more information about Ocala, Florida?? I would like to run a dog grooming, kennel business/ livery stables when I move so please can you tell me if this area is suitable for those?? I will be looking to buy an exisiting business. Are other areas of Florida more suitable??

Thanks so much
princesslilly
Nice area ...very horsey area ..quite expensive
you can visit the Don garlits musuem ...

Snakes abound in florida
Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, another newbie here.

Thanks so much
princesslilly
Where are you living right now? You didn't say. What are your citizenships? You didn't say. If not in USA and not Americans, then:

your partner... married or not? Same sex or opposite sex? What visas are you planning to get for this adventure?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, another newbie here.

Thanks so much
princesslilly
You may get a better idea about life in Florida if you search for old threads. The search function is located in the pink bar at the top of the page...go to 'Advanced Search'. In the box at the left hand side of the page type in 'Florida'...set it to search thread titles only. Then in the large box on the right hand side highlight the US forums. This should bring up lots of threads for you to read through.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

sueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant future

Pretty nice area, you would have a 'posh' neighbour John Travolta...the americans love their pooches and treat them like kids, so maybe a dog grooming business and kennel would be good thing to look into.
You do need to read older post as suggested first. Big decision and grass
isnt always greener and all that stuff. Visa's can be one hell of a headache.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sueanne
Pretty nice area, you would have a 'posh' neighbour John Travolta...the americans love their pooches and treat them like kids, so maybe a dog grooming business and kennel would be good thing to look into.
You do need to read older post as suggested first. Big decision and grass
isnt always greener and all that stuff. Visa's can be one hell of a headache.
Assuming you do not have any US connections you would be looking at an E2 Visa,

Downside is it is not permanent and there are children issues, but none mentioned.

You have to have adequate capital, you have to have a reasonable number of employees. A Business like this is like to cost enough to get rid of the capital requirement and I would have though a reasonable sized business is quite staff heavy.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:45 am
Just Joined

princesslilly is just really niceprincesslilly is just really niceprincesslilly is just really niceprincesslilly is just really niceprincesslilly is just really niceprincesslilly is just really niceprincesslilly is just really niceprincesslilly is just really nice

Hi Everyone

Thanks everyone for your replies, we currently live in England, we are not married, we are an oppsite sex couple. With selling both our houses we should have around $900,000 to start with.

I think from what I can gather we need to look at an E2 visa, is that correct??

princesslilly
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

With selling both our houses we should have around $900,000 to start with
With that sort of money just come over as tourists and buy a fake id/passport when you are over here.

Go somewhere cheap (like the midwest) and buy a decent house for $100,000. Put the rest in the bank and enjoy your early retirement.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 12:00 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
With that sort of money just come over as tourists and buy a fake id/passport when you are over here.

Go somewhere cheap (like the midwest) and buy a decent house for $100,000. Put the rest in the bank and enjoy your early retirement.
The prices in Ocala (and many other parts of FL) are much lower than my part of the Midwest. You can get quite a decent house in Ocala for a small price. This is just one example of many, many homes: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...482_1119642919

www.realtor.com
Old Jul 28th 2010, 12:08 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, another newbie here.

Thanks so much
princesslilly
I used to live near Ocala its a nice place the horse capital of the world allegedly I would live there in a heartbeat. It has a good selection of shops etc AND AND a decent curry house.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

That sounds like a great plan TimberHut thanks!!!

I will take a look at the website many thanks, tamms.

We also love the look of Venice, FL. I love the idea of being close to the beach as well.

I have owned horses for the past 20 years and would love to bring him with us when we move so maybe Ocala would be ideal??

princesslilly
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like a great plan TimberHut thanks!!!

I will take a look at the website many thanks, tamms.

We also love the look of Venice, FL. I love the idea of being close to the beach as well.

I have owned horses for the past 20 years and would love to bring him with us when we move so maybe Ocala would be ideal??

princesslilly
For horses, yes it would - the place is obsessed with horses, there are thoroughbred farms all over. As I understand it, its one of the premier such locations in the world. I've only been up there a couple of times, but you can't move for seeing pictures of horses everywhere!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
For horses, yes it would - the place is obsessed with horses, there are thoroughbred farms all over. As I understand it, its one of the premier such locations in the world. I've only been up there a couple of times, but you can't move for seeing pictures of horses everywhere!
you've never been to Kentucky then...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.