Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to New York with job offer and visa

Moving to New York with job offer and visa

Old May 17th 2018, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New York with job offer and visa

Originally Posted by David_101
Thanks Arathe, that's really useful. That 40X salary stuff is the first time I've heard of anything like that - that's crazy! Hopefully if not in Manhattan up in Westchester they won't be insisting on this, anyone know? My actual salary is way lower than stated - heavily reliant on commission but should end up quite a bit over $100k.

Is Zillow the best/only place to be looking for rentals?

Re tax I had a look on the website smartasset.com and it looks pretty much in-line with what you're saying - around 60 - 65% take home.
How are you going to live on circa $65k take home pay and a budgeted rent of $4000 - $5000 pm?
Old May 17th 2018, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

David_101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tom169
How are you going to live on circa $65k take home pay and a budgeted rent of $4000 - $5000 pm?
Couple of things. 1) I have other income and 2) if you read the post again my take home won't be $65k
Old May 17th 2018, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of things. 1) I have other income and 2) if you read the post again my take home won't be $65k
OK, hope you will be reporting your other income on your state & federal tax returns.

Your post said "quite a bit over $100k", what that means is not clear. You also said 60-65% take home. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and said "circa $65k." AKA around 65% of $100k, which is $65k. 65k / 12 = ~$5400 per month
Old May 17th 2018, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Other places to look for rentals include Craig's List (but that's notorious for scams) and local Facebook groups (sometimes these are named after zipcodes, e.g. our principal FB group for Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow is called "10591"). Or contact local realtors, although their inventory will mostly be on Zillow anyway.
Old May 17th 2018, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
OK, hope you will be reporting your other income on your state & federal tax returns.

Your post said "quite a bit over $100k", what that means is not clear. You also said 60-65% take home. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and said "circa $65k." AKA around 65% of $100k, which is $65k. 65k / 12 = ~$5400 per month
Of course!

"Quite a bit over" is exactly that.

Suffice to say $65k net will not be my total income.
Old May 17th 2018, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rpjs
Other places to look for rentals include Craig's List (but that's notorious for scams) and local Facebook groups (sometimes these are named after zipcodes, e.g. our principal FB group for Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow is called "10591"). Or contact local realtors, although their inventory will mostly be on Zillow anyway.
Thank you, that's good to know.

I've been looking at Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow a bit in the last couple of days. Both places look beaut.

Do you know if either place has the salary = 40x rental amount rule stated above?
Old May 17th 2018, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, that's good to know.

I've been looking at Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow a bit in the last couple of days. Both places look beaut.

Do you know if either place has the salary = 40x rental amount rule stated above?
TBH I have no idea. When we rented we were comfortably in that region ($2100 pcm on $110k salary). I did get a letter confirming salary from my employer’s HR for our landlady, who was herself European so fine about letting to newly-landed immigrants.

If you DM me your FB Id I’d be glad to add you to the 10591 group (it’s nominally “closed”).
Old May 18th 2018, 4:49 am
Just Joined

Arathe is an unknown quantity at this point

I’d recommend streeteasy.com for rentals - it includes an option to search for “no fee”rentals which avoid the notorious NYC brokers fees.

If you just contact a couple of places that are listed on there in the areas you’re interested in the agents will tell you if the 40x rule applies - my guess is that it does but I don’t know.