Reload this Page >

Moving to New york

Moving to New york

Old Sep 15th 2015, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

SAFAlivinginUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to New york

Hi there

We are currently looking at moving to NY after living in UK for 12 years (originally from SOuth Africa)

Work will be base in White Plains so we are looking at areas like Rye and Pleasantville

Does anyone have any advice on which is a good area with good schools (4 and 7year old)

Secondly, will the children be a year behind academically and has anyone had experience with this transition??

Also if we decide to come back to UK in few years, how would that work with schools

Please help, very daunting
Old Sep 15th 2015, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New york

Most school districts in Westchester are considered good. The huge property taxes here don't just pay for trash collection three times a week and shiny fire trucks; i.e. the higher the property taxes in general the better the schools.

There was a similar question on the Westchester sub-Reddit the other day and several people said very good things about Rye and Mamaroneck schools.

We live in Sleepy Hollow which shares a school district with Tarrytown. We don't have kids ourselves but I believe our schools are generally regarded well, and I think our local High School was just ranked about number 1,000 out of 21,000 in the US which doesn't seem too bad to me.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

SAFAlivinginUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your helpful reply.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Geezer123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Greenwich Connecticut is your friend!!!