Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to New Jersey

Moving to New Jersey

Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

AmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud of
Default Moving to New Jersey

Good Afternoon,

After living in Ayr, Scotland my entire life. We have been given the opportunity to move to New Jersey at the end of the month for a 18month contract. Although I feel more like a secretary at the moment filling in forms and signing my life away ,most of the essential stuff has been done - Pickfords are packing the house up on Monday, rental property secured and renters insurance arranged. Visa's received.

We are a family of 4. Myself, My hubby and two Kids. One being 11yrs and my baby being 4yrs.

I was wondering if I could get some assistance!!
We have been looking at beds - We are leaving our beds at home in Scotland so we have contacted a company called Best deal bedding who come to your house (in NJ) with mattresses and box frames. I have the feeling that this will be like a divan bed? They deliver free and it would mean that on the first night we would have somewhere to sleep rather than having to rush to somewhere like Ikea!

Has anyone used this company or any like this? OR do you have any suggestion of where we should go.

Many Thanks
Amanda
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to New Jersey

Considering you spend roughly a third of your life in your bed you might want to test out the beds before you buy them.

I would suggest you stay in a hotel for a few days while you set up the house and try out some beds....

This is what we did when we moved to NJ.....much less stress all round and we now have excellent beds!!!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:44 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

also the delivery of these kind of firms is MUCH better in the US than you are used to in the UK. Most of the bed shops we saw had same day or next day delivery on everything and this was free.

A small suite (2 bedrooms on a communal lounge/kitchen) type of thing was only about $150 - so i recomend that for 1 day - and trying out the beds before committing.

The frame is just the metal 'frame' that the box and mattress sit on so it has wheels.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmandaLS
Good Afternoon,

After living in Ayr, Scotland my entire life. We have been given the opportunity to move to New Jersey at the end of the month for a 18month contract. Although I feel more like a secretary at the moment filling in forms and signing my life away ,most of the essential stuff has been done - Pickfords are packing the house up on Monday, rental property secured and renters insurance arranged. Visa's received.

We are a family of 4. Myself, My hubby and two Kids. One being 11yrs and my baby being 4yrs.

We have been looking at beds - We are leaving our beds at home in Scotland so we have contacted a company called Best deal bedding who come to your house (in NJ) with mattresses and box frames. I have the feeling that this will be like a divan bed? They deliver free and it would mean that on the first night we would have somewhere to sleep rather than having to rush to somewhere like Ikea!

Has anyone used this company or any like this? OR do you have any suggestion of where we should go.

Many Thanks
Amanda
Yes the mattresses and box frame are the same as a UK divan set but it won't have castors on the bottom of the box frame. US box frames usually rest on a metal frame which you normally buy separately unless there is an offer of a free frame with the bed. The metal frames come with our without wheels...depends how much you want to pay. The bed itself will be approx 6 to 9 inches off the floor....not an inch or two like the UK.

I certainly wouldn't buy a bed without seeing and trying it first.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 10th 2011 at 5:07 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
also the delivery of these kind of firms is MUCH better in the US than you are used to in the UK. Most of the bed shops we saw had same day or next day delivery on everything and this was free.
Aye, often the case, but when we got the bed for the little one, 7 weeks they said, came in at 6 weeks though.

I definitely wouldn't get a bed sight unseen though.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

AmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the Help. We arrive on the 30th but don't move into our new "home" until the 1st April.

The next day delivery would be good ....so I think we will (jet lag allowing!!) try and find a local store so that we can try them and get delivery asap.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the Help. We arrive on the 30th but don't move into our new "home" until the 1st April.

The next day delivery would be good ....so I think we will (jet lag allowing!!) try and find a local store so that we can try them and get delivery asap.
There's a Sleepy's shop on Rt 10 East Hanover...they only sell beds. Raymour and Flanagan on Rt 46 east in Fairfield...it's a furniture store with a large bed dept.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

samjwood will become famous soon enoughsamjwood will become famous soon enough

Hi Amanda

We are moving from Liverpool to New Jersey on 28th March! Where about will you be living?

Sam x
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:16 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

I agree with the advice to wait til you get here & try beds out before you buy.
We spent 1 week in a hotel before getting an apartment & waiting for the beds and other bedroom furniture to be delivered.

There's a lot of choice. Most beds we have seen all have a box spring base under the mattress and the base rests on wood or metal slats.

Beds here are also higher than what you might be used to (& toilets are lower).

We found beds & mattresses (& furniture generally) here to be very expensive with adverts show prices of "just" $xxx.

You've already checked out prices but until you see what you get for X amount, you won't know if its a good deal or not.

Beware of "clearing houses" unless you can see & take away what you see and not the ones they have in their store room, which may have hidden problems.

Last edited by Volt61; Mar 10th 2011 at 11:20 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Morning,

SO glad I joined... your info is fantastic. Hopefully once I am living over there I can help the newbies too.... lol

Sam - We are moving to Madison, NJ - What about you?

Ax
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

I would suggest you book a couple of rooms for a week at the Hilton Short Hills which is not very far from you. This is where we stayed when we first arrived in the area. There is excellent shopping just across the street.

Good luck
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by digbydog
I would suggest you book a couple of rooms for a week at the Hilton Short Hills which is not very far from you. This is where we stayed when we first arrived in the area. There is excellent shopping just across the street.

Good luck
My second home...not the hotel but Short Hills Mall.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not keen on the high beds so we got ours from IKEA. You buy everything and wheel it round to the delivery area and they can usually get it to you the next day.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My second home...not the hotel but Short Hills Mall.
Yip.... have googled it a good few times and its looks GOOD!!
Old Mar 17th 2011, 10:38 am
Just Joined

hayleyD13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Afternoon,

Many Thanks
Amanda
Ayr, that's where my fav band are from....Biffy Clyro!!!
Sorry for that bit of info..lol...
I'm in Delaware, next to NJ, Good luck with your move!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.