Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Nebraska

Moving to Nebraska

Old Apr 26th 2019, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Jodiemary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Nebraska

hi, my husband has been offered a job in USA Nebraska. We currently live in the UK I am from Newcastle and he is from Corby Northamptonshire. We are moving over towards the end of the year.
Just wondering who is out there and what it’s like living there! Would be nice to meet people -

Last edited by Jodiemary; Apr 26th 2019 at 7:11 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Moving to Nebraska

There are people on this site who live there. One person I remember who said he had traveled over many states thru his job and chose to live in Nebraska over other options.Hopefully some of them will see your post and respond. It’s a very big agricultural state with lots of very small farming towns. Do you knows what part you will be living in?
Old Apr 26th 2019, 9:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi new here! Moving to nabraska

Originally Posted by Jodiemary
hi, my husband has been offered a job in USA Nebraska. We currently live in the UK I am from Newcastle and he is from Corby Northamptonshire. We are moving over towards the end of the year.
Just wondering who is out there and what it’s like living there! Would be nice to meet people -
Hi and welcome to BE. Is this a transfer with his current employer, or is it a new company? Do you know which visa the company will be sponsoring him for?

Rene
Old Apr 26th 2019, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ddsrph
There are people on this site who live there. One person I remember who said he had traveled over many states thru his job and chose to live in Nebraska over other options.Hopefully some of them will see your post and respond. It’s a very big agricultural state with lots of very small farming towns. Do you knows what part you will be living in?
I have read a few good things! And I’m thinking Omaha or papillon.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Hi new here! Moving to nabraska

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi and welcome to BE. Is this a transfer with his current employer, or is it a new company? Do you know which visa the company will be sponsoring him for?

Rene
hi. It’s an E2 visa with an Irish company who has contracts in America, it’s about 5 years worth of work there with potential to Renew after that for many more.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 10:18 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jodiemary
I have read a few good things! And I’m thinking Omaha or papillon.
I was in Hastings around 1970 and we wanted to go to the planetarium but it was closed, so we toured the museum. There was an exhibit containing a charred old leather boot and a hand printed testimonial on a piece of foolscap by a man who was struck by lightning. He went out to check his livestock during a thunderstorm and as he pushed the barn door open lightning hit the iron door-frame. The charge burned his hair off and burned his clothes, and blew the boots right off his feet. They also had some of Martha Washington's clothes, the carbon copy of the Gettysburg Address that was x number from the top, and one of the Gemini space capsules used in training.

Old Apr 26th 2019, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Omaha is a nice city. I've probably spent about about 6 months cumulatively there.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Don't live there but my partner is from Nebraska, so I've visited a few times. She has relatives in Omaha and Lincoln. Typical climate for that part of the world - hot humid summers and cold winters. Not exactly my favourite state as so much of it is flat farmland, especially in the east. Really, the most interesting part is in the very northwest, where there are badlands in the same formations as those of South Dakota. Omaha is a nice small city with some pleasant neighbourhoods and, given it's a university town, quite a lot going on.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 12:25 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Nebraska

We did done a road trip to Woodstock, Illinois, and traveled through Nebraskas. And Iowa. Holy moly it was cold. And the landscape, well.... it's not Colorado.
Lots of Trump signs in farmers' fields, which the wife hated - she can't stand him. Walmarts full of doughy, haggard mothers with sick unkempt kids, coughing and hacking without covering their mouths.
Liquor stores everywhere. Especially in Illinois. A lot of walking dead; grey-pallored derelicts of people, dull-eyed, shuffling through the grocery stores. Found it rather depressing. And cold.
Did I mention the cold?

On the plus side, there's a really cool gas station in Nebraska that has a gun store inside. Can't remember the name of it. Now that's convenience!
Anyway, OP, swing for the fence. Have a blast. Try it out. Maybe it's nicer in the summer. You're getting an opportunity many people would give their hind leg for.

(This post is tongue in cheek. Mostly)
Old Apr 27th 2019, 9:30 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Would highly recommend a scouting trip, by the sounds of things you intend to move sight unseen.

Not a good idea.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Omaha is a nice town, a lot bigger than many realise - about a million people live in the metro area. So, it's no podunk.

Lincoln, the state capital, is only an hour away and the University of Nebraska is there.

Others have covered the highlights but just to emphasize the winters - they are severe.

Omaha is a fairly good get, well done.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
We did done a road trip to Woodstock, Illinois, and traveled through Nebraskas. And Iowa. Holy moly it was cold. And the landscape, well.... it's not Colorado.
Lots of Trump signs in farmers' fields, which the wife hated - she can't stand him. Walmarts full of doughy, haggard mothers with sick unkempt kids, coughing and hacking without covering their mouths.
Liquor stores everywhere. Especially in Illinois. A lot of walking dead; grey-pallored derelicts of people, dull-eyed, shuffling through the grocery stores. Found it rather depressing. And cold.
Did I mention the cold?

On the plus side, there's a really cool gas station in Nebraska that has a gun store inside. Can't remember the name of it. Now that's convenience!
Anyway, OP, swing for the fence. Have a blast. Try it out. Maybe it's nicer in the summer. You're getting an opportunity many people would give their hind leg for.

(This post is tongue in cheek. Mostly)
I'm beginning to suspect you're really Peter Strzok, hiding under a fake British persona, and spewing every cliche you can think of, lol! (Just being ironic.)
Old Apr 27th 2019, 2:41 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Would highly recommend a scouting trip, by the sounds of things you intend to move sight unseen.

Not a good idea.
I would second this. But whether you visit first or not, OP, you should expect Nebraska to be as foreign to you as if you were moving to Shanghai--the US isn't the UK with a different accent, especially in the Midwest.
Old Apr 28th 2019, 2:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

Not a good idea.
I really can't agree with this. If someone is enthusiastuc about moving to the US then it is IMO rather unlikely that they would learn anything on a scouting trip that would break their enthusiasm. I suspect the opposite is also true if you're unsure if the move will be right for you. In other words you will see what you want to see, at least in the short term
Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I would second this. But whether you visit first or not, OP, you should expect Nebraska to be as foreign to you as if you were moving to Shanghai--the US isn't the UK with a different accent, especially in the Midwest.
I know it is a matter of perspective, but I have never agreed with this extreme view of how "foreign" the US is. From my perspective it has always seemed generally similar to the UK, but with numerous small differences that leave an unsettling feeling that "something isn't quite right".

I think it's like living in a weird dream where you live in the house next door, your dog is now a cat, and you married that weird girl you dated at university, rather than the girl you met at church - nothing is totally unexpected, but everything is slightly different to what you're used to.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 28th 2019 at 2:56 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2019, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

From another post the OP stated she is 22. At that age to not take advantage of the opportunity would be a big mistake and lead to a lifetime of what if’s. If Omaha was that bad Warren Buffet would have moved by now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.