Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to NC/SC

Moving to NC/SC

Old Nov 11th 2006, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from NC!

Dogbyte calling
Hi to everyone in the US. My wife and I are due to come out to the US hopefully Jan 07 as my wife is in the process of acquiring a nursing position either in NC or SC(We dont know where yet) I see from Swampfox that he was a British plod (guess what) so was I. 30 years was enough (GMP).I also play golf,this could lead to a match(Ryder cup style !)Wife also plays as a bonus)As a new boy I will keep this short but its nice to know there a friends out there.No doubt more to come.As you can see from the name I was a Dogman with two great big hairy German Shepards who liked to get thier teeth into a job or two etc etc.Speak soon hopefully, Dogbyte
Old Nov 11th 2006, 2:38 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Dogbyte calling
Hi to everyone in the US. My wife and I are due to come out to the US hopefully Jan 07 as my wife is in the process of acquiring a nursing position either in NC or SC(We dont know where yet) I see from Swampfox that he was a British plod (guess what) so was I. 30 years was enough (GMP).I also play golf,this could lead to a match(Ryder cup style !)Wife also plays as a bonus)As a new boy I will keep this short but its nice to know there a friends out there.No doubt more to come.As you can see from the name I was a Dogman with two great big hairy German Shepards who liked to get thier teeth into a job or two etc etc.Speak soon hopefully, Dogbyte
Welcome to the site.

There is lots of nice golf to be had in NC and SC. Can't beat playing on a autumn day surrounded by the beautiful fall leaves and carolina blue sky!
Old Nov 11th 2006, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Dogbyte calling
Hi and welcome

Has she got her greencard or interview yet otherwise like me she won't get it soon as there is a retrogression on at the moment and visas are on hold. hopefully will be sorted soon but until visas are sorted there will be no movement pass packet 3 at the NVC for present.

good luck
Old Nov 11th 2006, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Hi and welcome

Has she got her greencard or interview yet otherwise like me she won't get it soon as there is a retrogression on at the moment and visas are on hold. hopefully will be sorted soon but until visas are sorted there will be no movement pass packet 3 at the NVC for present.

good luck
Hi Silverdragon
Thanks for the welcome. Have watched all antics and problems on AllNurses and understand your concerns. All docs at London since Sept.No one said it would be easy and in our professions patience is a virtue.A simple phrase is " Dont get mad. Get even " We'll get even. by enjoying ourselves when we get there.,No matter what and when it happens.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 5:04 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to NC/SC

Hi and welcome so are you in the medical profession as well?
Old Nov 11th 2006, 5:53 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Dogbyte calling
Welcome to BE Dogbyte!

So you're thinking of moving to either NC or SC, eh?

I live in NC and the benefits of living in my part of NC (Durham, part of the Triangle) is that there is good healthcare institutions here (which your wife might like to consider working for) which is a consideration if you're retired.

Golf (or golfing as the Americans say) is a major pastime in NC and there's many public and private golf clubs around where I live. I live about 90 mins from Pinehurst (but I don't play golf).

Weather is good all year round. My part of NC very rarely suffers hurricanes, there are four seasons with very little or no snow in winter. During the summer, the humidity can get a bit much but you get accustomed to that.

If you live near Raleigh, you'll benefit from the non-stop direct flight from RDU to Gatwick.

I'm an 2 hours to the beach and about 3 hours drive to the mountains. I can't complain about the climate and location really.

Cost of living is reasonable compared to more popular places to live (North East US, California) and many Americans are retiring to NC as a result.

British foods are reasonably obtainable here from grocery stores, Indian stores and some other types of store. e.g. World Market, Whole Foods, Southern Season. If you like Indian food, the Triangle's the place to be. There are so many Indian restaurants here (some Americanized, some genuine) so it's easy for me to get my Indian food fix.

If you have questions about the Triangle, please feel free to send me a Private Message (PM).

NC Penguin
Old Nov 11th 2006, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Welcome to BE Dogbyte!

So you're thinking of moving to either NC or SC, eh?

I live in NC and the benefits of living in my part of NC (Durham, part of the Triangle) is that there is good healthcare institutions here (which your wife might like to consider working for) which is a consideration if you're retired.

Golf (or golfing as the Americans say) is a major pastime in NC and there's many public and private golf clubs around where I live. I live about 90 mins from Pinehurst (but I don't play golf).

Weather is good all year round. My part of NC very rarely suffers hurricanes, there are four seasons with very little or no snow in winter. During the summer, the humidity can get a bit much but you get accustomed to that.

If you live near Raleigh, you'll benefit from the non-stop direct flight from RDU to Gatwick.

I'm an 2 hours to the beach and about 3 hours drive to the mountains. I can't complain about the climate and location really.

Cost of living is reasonable compared to more popular places to live (North East US, California) and many Americans are retiring to NC as a result.

British foods are reasonably obtainable here from grocery stores, Indian stores and some other types of store. e.g. World Market, Whole Foods, Southern Season. If you like Indian food, the Triangle's the place to be. There are so many Indian restaurants here (some Americanized, some genuine) so it's easy for me to get my Indian food fix.

If you have questions about the Triangle, please feel free to send me a Private Message (PM).

NC Penguin
Dogbyte calling
Thanks for all the info- We did visit S.C & N.C last year (Asheville) to visit friends there, after I played in a 4 day major golf tournament called the US Law Enforcement Memorial Golf Classic in Myrtle Beach,the only brits in over 800 players.This was part of our 30th Wedding anniversary trip.
Although the agency has not finalised our location, the whole area is very appealing,both the environment and the people we met.
We have done a fair amount of research on all areas but all contacts are very welcome and will be very important,Thanks
Old Nov 11th 2006, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Hi and welcome so are you in the medical profession as well?
Dogbyte calling
Thanks for welcome
As for me being in the medical profession aswell -- Well no, but I did do a stint as Coroners officer in the local mortuary and have put a few in the local casualty with dog bites etc after a good set of nights if they count.(The wife had to stitch them together the following morning)Poor dears !!
Old Nov 11th 2006, 7:47 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, welcome and good luck with your plans.. it looks like you might not be able to work so this website will keep you amused..

Old Nov 11th 2006, 7:52 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and Welcome
Old Nov 11th 2006, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by anabella
Hello, welcome and good luck with your plans.. it looks like you might not be able to work so this website will keep you amused..

Dogbyte calling
Why cant I work ? with this question I am BEmused
Old Nov 11th 2006, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Dogbyte cool name and cool job you had.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Silverdragon
Thanks for the welcome. Have watched all antics and problems on AllNurses and understand your concerns. All docs at London since Sept.No one said it would be easy and in our professions patience is a virtue.A simple phrase is " Dont get mad. Get even " We'll get even. by enjoying ourselves when we get there.,No matter what and when it happens.
Have you checked with the embassy to when your interview is? A few who's files went in Sept have already had their interviews and there are a few who have arrived in London and recieved packet 4 but no interview date and no idea when they are going to get it. Good luck and hope you get to where you want to go.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 8:42 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Dogbyte calling
Why cant I work ? with this question I am BEmused

You said that your wife was a nurse and she was getting a visa.. never said what you do.. not that I know much about visas, I just got the impression that you wouldn't be able to work

BE will keep you amused anyway
Old Nov 11th 2006, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Not another bloody ex copper....we've only just driven the last one away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.