Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the mountains

Moving to the mountains

Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:01 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the mountains

Steeb,

Subscribe to rmiug.org - the Rocky Mountain Internet User Group. Daily job bulletins.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ska is in Durango, Purgatory would the Ski resort.

Going to get cold this weekend, though today was nice.

Crap Snow last year, this year better? But they say that every year.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:44 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Boulder is developing quite a high-tech reputation:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/bu...lder.html?_r=0
Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Steeb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link, I'll check out rmiug.org. Very glad I posted on here and picked some brains, thanks all

I was speaking to the guy that recruited me at the pub here in London. He was basically saying that IT work is everywhere here and it's hard to get enough applicants to fill the positions. After about a week with my CV on jobsite I had to hide it since I couldn't deal with the number of calls.

The downside being that you're crammed onto trains where 'overcrowded' was redefined so that trains wouldn't be overcrowded, with people who have given up on trying to be polite in those conditions and pay a fortune for the privilege (£2461 if you buy monthly 1-6 travelcards for a year).
Old Oct 4th 2012, 12:37 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

One observation: I've sort of noticed that "I.T." is not as commonly used in the USA as it is in the UK. Most of my tech friends in the states would never say they are in "I.T." I have friends who are in "the tech industry" or in "software development" or "data center management" or "hardware" or "social media" or whatever. Saying you are in I.T. kind of implies, at least amongst my tech friends, that you are the "tech guy in an office", i.e. the computer guy who repairs the computers in an insurance company (like the IT Crowd).

Just a random aside. Others may have noticed less of a distinction. When you market yourself you might want to be a bit more specific as to what field exactly it is you want to work in to help minimize the overflow of callers.

p.s. also check out http://www.dice.com/
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:08 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Ska is in Durango, Purgatory would the Ski resort.

Going to get cold this weekend, though today was nice.

Crap Snow last year, this year better? But they say that every year.
But the two previous years were record years for snow. 84 degrees here yesterday, 40 today. Winter tyres going on next week.....

P.S. How do you get higher than Boulder?!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:08 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Saying you are in I.T. kind of implies, at least amongst my tech friends, that you are the "tech guy in an office", i.e. the computer guy who repairs the computers in an insurance company (like the IT Crowd).
I agree with you, but I'm so specialized that if I were to be too specific, I'd lose anonymity. What I'm seeing across the development spectrum is a majority of jobs in India, with people to be purpose-trained to do the work. This is a major difference to US employers, who seem to absolutely refuse to train anyone and want someone to walk in the door and start slinging code. The quality of the work I see coming from India is horrid, but hey is it cheap.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:15 pm
The Wonderdog

Ozger is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Psyman
You might consider Idaho. . . . I've only met about 3 other Brits in my time here - not sure if you need an expat community around.
Welshman here . . . I agree completely - Boise is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I lived there for 4 years working at HP (2001-2005), and I've been trying desperately to get back there for over a year now, but the HP layoffs means there is a ton of very qualified local IT people, so why would they look at somebody who currently lives in Texarse . . . but I'll keep trying - it's my retirement location!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:16 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozger
Welshman here . . . I agree completely - Boise is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I lived there for 4 years working at HP (2001-2005), and I've been trying desperately to get back there for over a year now, but the HP layoffs means there is a ton of very qualified local IT people, so why would they look at somebody who currently lives in Texarse . . . but I'll keep trying - it's my retirement location!
Would you settle for Bangalore?
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:18 pm
The Wonderdog

Ozger is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Would you settle for Bangalore?
Depends . . . do they have good ski resorts?!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:34 pm
Lapine Member

If you're willing to travel to the Himalayas.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Guessing here, but you might get a good Indian curry maybe?
Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
But the two previous years were record years for snow. 84 degrees here yesterday, 40 today. Winter tyres going on next week.....

P.S. How do you get higher than Boulder?!
Boulder is on the Front Range, the flat bit, everything west is higher.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:32 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Boulder is on the Front Range, the flat bit, everything west is higher.
Sorry, yes I'm well aware. It was meant to be a play on the word 'high'. This is Boulder we're talking about
Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

There is a town nearby with 300 or so inhabitants and 3 dispensaries...

Lots of sick people in Colorado, mainly male 18 to 30.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.