Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving money to the US

Moving money to the US

Old Aug 6th 2015, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Moving money to the US

Hi all,

Been a long time since I posted here. Wanted to see if y'all had any thoughts on the following.

We have just sold our house in the UK and have a substantial amount of money to move over to the US. Not quite sure how we are going to move this yet but I've came across the following options:

1) HSBC Online transfer from our UK account to our US account. 4GBP to send, $15 to receive. Limited to 50,000 GBP daily limit. Exchange rate not ideal and would have to send multiple transfers.

2) Transferwise.com in one go. Exchange rate better but would need to go through the SWIFT network collecting unknown fees from unknown umber of intermediary banks. $15 fee to receive. Better exchange rate would mean i'd get about $1,000 more. Concerned about using a company to transfer that is not a bank.

3) Transferwise.com in multiple smaller amounts. Amounts of 24,000 GBP will be sent using ACH so no receiving fee. Need to wait for each one to clear before I can sent then next one.

4) Fly to UK and withdraw cash. Come back to US with said cash in a briefcase and attempt to deposit in local bank while speaking in my best Russian accent.

Anyone been through this process before or have any other ideas? BTW - I was just joking about option #4 - I don't do a very good Russian accent...

Thanks all!
Old Aug 6th 2015, 6:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving money to the US

Don't do 4), please!

ETA I see you were just joking, but that isn't even funny!

Of your options I'd definitely recommend 2). The "unknown fees" are at most $35, and a transfer UK to US would at most have one intermediary bank, assuming your account in the US is with a large or very large bank. So you'd have one wire-send fee, one intermediary bank fee and one wire receive fee. If those three are more than $80 aggregate you've been very unlucky. ..... So by taking the better exchange rate you're waaay ahead.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 6th 2015 at 6:16 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

distantecho is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a First Direct account in the UK and an HSBC Premier account here. I usually buy dollars in London using HSBC currency traders. For the best rate they usually want a minimum of 60k GBP at a time. I then transfer the money from my HSBC $ account in London to my account here. Have never been charged any fees and the exchange rate is within a tiny fraction of the market rate, way better than any quoted rate. Never had any limits imposed either, have transfered multiple hundreds of thousands at a time.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Don't use the mainline banks. You can get much better deals.

I used TorFx for my UK house proceeds. I had one wire fee of $15.00 from my American bank, but overall got an excellent deal. I have used them a few times since also and always been very satisfied.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on how quickly you want to move the money (and what you think may happen to exchange rates) you may want to consider whether it would be wise to transfer the money in several chunks anyway.

Also, don't forget to do the appropriate FBAR disclosures next year.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 9:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by distantecho
..... the exchange rate is within a tiny fraction of the market rate, way better than any quoted rate. ....., have transfered multiple hundreds of thousands at a time.
Those factors are related.

Another BE'er has reported getting consistently excellent rates from his bank, but I am fairly certain he is transferring six figure sums. If you're moving that much money the banks will do great deals.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

We moved the fund's from the sale of a UK investment property to the US two yrs ago.
We used world first who we have used a number of times however they are only able to transfer money to certain states.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 6:29 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

+1 Worldfirst - no bank charges either end, good exchange rate and done within a day. However, you do need to set this account up in advance as they will want to verify you and your bankaccount is legit.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

I keep running into the same issue of only being able to transfer 10k a day out of my UK bank to any of these FX providers. Anyone know of one that can pull the money instead of me having to send out to them?
Old Aug 7th 2015, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Tom1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dh010447
I keep running into the same issue of only being able to transfer 10k a day out of my UK bank to any of these FX providers. Anyone know of one that can pull the money instead of me having to send out to them?
I've just run into the same issue transferring Euros from my Irish (possibly the worst time ever to be doing this).

My bank was unfortunately fairly inflexible (aside from going into an Irish branch - not exactly practical from several thousand miles away), but I know that some banks allow higher transfers eg by using a card reader/debit card combination - I used HiFx, and they accepted this form of payment.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 6:54 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

We had to move more than £10k last year although it was from France not the UK. Our bank knew what we wanted to do and how much so it happened. The only hitch we ran into was that (so we were told) the french authorities demand a 24 hour delay before the money leaves the country.

You should call the bank and get through to someone who can resolve this issue. Is the money already in the bank? What reason are they giving for limiting the amount? UK law or bank rules? If it's UK law, then not much you can do but if it's a bank thing then definitely negotiate with them, especially if the money isn't yet in your account...

If you plan to use this money as deposit to secure a mortgage here in the USA, you will have to provide a paper trail showing where the money came from (house sale documents) right through to it arriving in your US bank account. You will need to do this for each "batch" of money that arrives....
Old Aug 7th 2015, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dh010447
We didn't have this issue with worldfirst we just deposited the funds electronically from our UK bank into worldfirsts barclays account in London next day the funds were in our U.S. account. We transferred a six figure amount in one transaction no problem.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 2:48 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by notonuksoil
We didn't have this issue with worldfirst we just deposited the funds electronically from our UK bank into worldfirsts barclays account in London next day the funds were in our U.S. account. We transferred a six figure amount in one transaction no problem.
Our bank was Barclays France and we didn't have any problems. Sounds like the OP's problem is with his bank. Bet if he walked into a Barclays branch and asked them if they wanted a serious load of dosh deposited for a week or so before he transferred it , he could get an account.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

I've used Transferwise many times, although admittedly for amounts less then 10k. I've been impressed with their service and the money is in my account within about 2 days. Maybe you could do a smaller 'test' transfer to see if you feel comfortable with it.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 8:34 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Our bank was Barclays France and we didn't have any problems. Sounds like the OP's problem is with his bank. Bet if he walked into a Barclays branch and asked them if they wanted a serious load of dosh deposited for a week or so before he transferred it , he could get an account.
International banking/transfers through UK banks is rarely simple or inexpensive. There are exceptions, but they are exceptions rather than the rule.

That explains a lot about why "international transfer services" are largely a UK enterprise. Most UK Retail banks just aren't equipped for it and regard it as something "special", for which there is a premium charged. It's been many years since I've dealt with US banks, but IIRC, US banks are similar in that regard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.