Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Mississippi - Driving?

Moving to Mississippi - Driving?

Old Jul 9th 2021, 10:48 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Mississippi - Driving?

If it’s only for going to the grocery etc then see if there is Zip car or similar there. I did that in NYC before when I was in the East village before I had an apt with its own parking spot. They had all different cars, so I was able to get a pickup truck when I brought my flat screen TV and a nicer car for long holiday weekends to drive up to Maine (note multi day rentals were limited to maybe 4 and not that cheap).

You reserve / rent them by the hour and one other advantage is that you start to establish your US insurance record, when I got my own car I was able to request a letter with my prior insurance.

it’s been a long while but I believe some services now allow one way rentals.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Footnote is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Mississippi - Driving?

Hi,

I used to live in the Starkville area and still work there on occasion. It's a great place to be and you can survive without a car, but I'd strongly recommend that if you can afford one, it will be a big advantage. It's not a city and you could become bored without the opportunity to explore further afield. MS do not take your UK drivers license from you as UK drivers are required to take a test. For some Nations, there is a bilateral agreement (France for example), in which case the test is waived but you do have to surrender your license.

If you need any specific information, please don't hesitate to PM me.....and good luck!