Reload this Page >

Moving to Maine in September

Moving to Maine in September

Old Jan 13th 2008, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

c17age is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Maine in September

Hi
We are moving to Maine in September and me being the Brit wants to know if there is anyone, nevermind Brits, actually living up there. A Brit connection would be nice tho.
PS
Anyone who knows of jobs going around that time I would be eternally greatful for a nod.
PPS
Aircraft engineer but will put my hand to anything that pays the mortgage.

Cheers and here's to the 6 nations
Swing low
Old Jan 13th 2008, 6:50 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Maine in September

Originally Posted by c17age
Hi
We are moving to Maine in September and me being the Brit wants to know if there is anyone, nevermind Brits, actually living up there. A Brit connection would be nice tho.
PS
Anyone who knows of jobs going around that time I would be eternally greatful for a nod.
PPS

Swing low
Bob used to live in Maine............ I think it gets fairly cold

I believe Welshviking is an aircraft engineer or some such

What brings you here - clearly you are nuts............. but so is everyone here, so welcome to the zoo

Old Jan 13th 2008, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

c17age is an unknown quantity at this point

Nuts me?
Wibble wibble drool neigh! have non of it now hear me!!!
Married a mainiac who was sensibly living in Charleston SC. We now have a girl of 2yrs and another on the way 26 june.
Mad maybe, moving with a 3 month old at the start of winter. Well here's to snowball fights and the like.
I am also retiring from the Royal Air Force after 22 years so looking forward to the change.
Any aircraft/ engineering work out there anyone?
Thanks for the tip I'll look out for him

Tip Tip
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:35 pm
Buttercup

123456 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
PS
PPS

Swing low
Maine is fantastic! I grew up there (but now live ~75 miles away in New Hampshire). There's so much to do, fantastic food, unbelieveable scenery.

I'm not a Brit (was engaged to one), but was on the site just looking and saw your post. If you want someone to point you toward good places for fun, or just want to feel like you "know" someone when you get here, please let me know.

[I enjoy the outdoors, so many of my favorite places are for outdoor activities. I'm a 43 year old mother of 2 girls, 9 and 11, in case that matters any]
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
PS
PPS

Swing low
1st things to buy are a large shovel and snowblower.

Enjoy Maine!

Jim.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:53 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!
I'm in Maine...about an hour and a half North of Westbrook.

With a kid I think you'll LOVE Maine. I definately feel it's a great place for a family (even though i don't have one) lots of fun outdoor activities.

Winters can be harsh...this one has been, but the last 2 weren't any big deal.

I LOVE Maine for the space and scenery and the fact that people really will stop and help you..that was quite a culture shock!

The worst thing about being here is that a LOT of Mainers have never even left the state, let alone the country so are pretty sheltered. I hate being a novelty item and having people not understand me. oh well

it's not the best place to come looking for a job...so i'm afraid I can't help you on that, but fingers crossed that you find something and that you will love it here

You will be close to NH border, so maybe you can look for jobs there too

Feel free to PM me anytime, especially once you get here and get your first homseick pang
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
PS
PPS

Swing low
I'm in Maine. I'm 12 miles north of Portland. My husband works in Portland (although mostly in Cape Elizabeth at the moment). I stay home with three kids age 6, 4 and 2.

Don't know of any jobs for you, but happy to help in any way.

I had visited Maine a couple of times before, so had some idea what I was moving too. Also had lived in Ohio and Seattle before so pretty switched on about the US. Still, Maine isn't like anywhere else. I love it here - I love the outdoors, the space, the summer weather, the skiing.

But OMG the heating bills...
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:57 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Maine is a wonderful place to live and raise kids. We moved here 4 years ago from Southern California and have never looked back....kids love it, we love it. There is plenty to do in the winter like skiing, skating and sno-shoeing and in the summer its swimming, kayaking and riding the bikes. "The way life should be" is pushing it a wee bit (property taxes are nutz) but its close.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:54 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Anywhere much further North of Lewiston/Auburn area and the job market does seem to thin out a lot. There doesn't seem to be much manufacturing other than forestry, paper industry and tourism inland. I don't know much about the coastal jobs but tourism and fishing are a given. Oh and wrap up warm from end of November until March cos it's bloody cold lol. Good luck on your job hunting.