Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Las Vegas in 10 weeks !!!!

Moving to Las Vegas in 10 weeks !!!!

Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Hawth0rn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Las Vegas in 10 weeks !!!!

Hello Everyone

My husband works for the goverment and yesterday we have found out we are moving to Las Vegas in Sept It will be my husband, DS 10, DD 8, myself and the dog.

We are very lucky that we will be employed as if we are still in the UK, so good holidays, reasonable pay and all medical covered. Also we do not have to go throught all immagration process.

I do not have a clue where to start, we havent been looking into going as this was unexpected. So I would be grateful for all and any information that maybe of use to us

I have a couple of questions firstly that I cant seem to find on the internet, if someone could help.

What are the school holiday dates for 2011/2012. We have the choice of private or local schools what would people recommend, how do you find out how well a school is doing.

My DD aged 8 has dyslexia and is quiet far behind generally academically. How does the system work about moving up classes. I have heard a little about children being held back could anyone explain it in a little more detail.

We will be renting, whats the general rule about pets in rental homes.

How hard is it to bring over the dog. Does anyone know the easiest way to go about it.

Thats it for now, Im sure Ill be back.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Las Vegas in 10 weeks !!!!

Congratulations .... And don't panic!!!
School holidays depend on school/ school district.
My kids school publishes them on their web site so when you've decided on a school you'll need to check with them.
Check out www.greatschools.net for a run down of schools in the area you're moving to.
Many people on here have moved their pets over so suggest you use the search function to find out names of carriers etc.
Make sure your kids vaccinations are up to date and that you bring records of them as in many schools they won't allow the kids to start without all the correct vaccinations.again, check with the school district as to which ones they require. Many require Hep. B which isn't routinely given in the UK.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawth0rn
Also we do not have to go throught all immagration process.
I find this a most curious comment.

Ian
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Me, too.

Can't come to live and work in the US without a proper visa. In most states you can't even get a driver's license without one. Ahhh the bliss of ignorance.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:05 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

This should be interesting!!

Are Diplomats exempt from a visa just curious!!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
This should be interesting!!

Are Diplomats exempt from a visa just curious!!
They have a Diplomatic Visa.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hawth0rn...you have asked the same questions in this thread a month ago.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:57 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, Hawthorne.

We are very lucky that we will be employed as if we are still in the UK, so good holidays, reasonable pay and all medical covered. Also we do not have to go throught all immagration process.
Being employed as if you are still in the UK does not mean you do not have to go through the immigration process. You will need US visas that give you permission to work. The US doesn't care who is paying you or who you work for - if you are physically in the US and working you have to have the proper papers to do so.

Most of the rest of your questions cannot be answered in general terms as the answer will vary depending on the location. I will answer them as generally as I can.

What are the school holiday dates for 2011/2012.
Schools generally run from early September to mid-June or so, give or take a bit. Many schools will have short breaks at Christmas and at Easter. For exact dates you would need to know what school you were going to.

We have the choice of private or local schools what would people recommend, how do you find out how well a school is doing.
Unfortunately I can't help with this one, as I don't have kids. I am sure there are websites to show school ratings and things like that. Your local school is determined by where you are living. Kids living on certain streets will go to a certain local school. A kid living a few streets away may go to a completely different school.

We will be renting, whats the general rule about pets in rental homes.
Depends on the landlord. Cats are more frequently allowed than dogs; small dogs are more frequently allowed than large ones.

How hard is it to bring over the dog. Does anyone know the easiest way to go about it.
We brought a cat over to the US in 2009. We had to get it certain vaccinations at the vet, make arrangements with a pet shipper to get it a ticket on our flight (in the cargo section), get an appropriate crate to send it in, and get a "fit to fly" certificate a week before the flight. If you intend to move back to the UK at some point you should look into the requirements for getting the dog readmitted into the UK. The US has rabies and the UK does not so there are more restrictions on the US-to-UK direction than there are going from the UK to the US.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:27 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Heck I was right then lol
Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:36 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Does this mean "in general diplomats have a diplomatic visa" or "The OP and her family have diplomatic visas"?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by avanutria
Does this mean "in general diplomats have a diplomatic visa" or "The OP and her family have diplomatic visas"?
If you read the quote...it was in answer to PG's general question about diplomats.

If you read through the Op's 4 posts you will see that she hasn't mentioned what type of job her husband has.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 28th 2011 at 4:45 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

My husband works for the goverment and yesterday we have found out we are moving to Las Vegas in Sept It will be my husband, DS 10, DD 8, myself and the dog.
Forgive me if I'm coming across as a bit of a dufus, but I need something clarifying here. I see these abreviations all over this forum and using my powers of deductive reasoning, I have come to the conclusion that 'DS' means, 'something' - son and 'DD' means 'something (presumably the same thing)' - daughter.

So, what does the 'D' stand for and why isn't the author, her husband or the dog graced with this prefix?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Forgive me if I'm coming across as a bit of a dufus, but I need something clarifying here. I see these abreviations all over this forum and using my powers of deductive reasoning, I have come to the conclusion that 'DS' means, 'something' - son and 'DD' means 'something (presumably the same thing)' - daughter.

So, what does the 'D' stand for and why isn't the author, her husband or the dog graced with this prefix?
"Dear" or "Darling" Son/Daughter/Husband/Wife/stick-insect.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been sick in my mouth.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 5:50 pm

If you read the quote...it was in answer to PG's general question about diplomats.

If you read through the Op's 4 posts you will see that she hasn't mentioned what type of job her husband has.
Thank you. I had read both of those things but wished to clarify to avoid any future confusions in the thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.