Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to LA - the basics?

Moving to LA - the basics?

Old Apr 1st 2011, 5:56 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to LA - the basics?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
This is brilliant:

Oh, fu(k it - just stay where you are and rent a Bruce Willis movie and eat pizza. It amounts to the same cultural experience.
Like, but why rent the movie when you can visit Nakatomi Plaza itself, and enjoy re-enacting key scenes from Die Hard?

Ho ho ho.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I liked the Oxford Dictionary adding La La Land this week, saw a couple of blogs that were very offended by it

la-la land n. can refer either to Los Angeles (in which case its etymology is influenced by the common initialism for that city), or to a state of being out of touch with reality--and sometimes to both simultaneously.

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
Like, but why rent the movie when you can visit Nakatomi Plaza itself, and enjoy re-enacting key scenes from Die Hard?

Ho ho ho.
I did enjoy seeing the steps outside the Century City mall as featured in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:07 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I did enjoy seeing the steps outside the Century City mall as featured in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes.
Me and my Jeep are in Hancock, we were driving along while they were filming on the overpass

So come on, honestly. Do you find it cool that you have been to places you see in the films? I constantly watch things and say 'oh that's at such and such', usually The Grove
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Me and my Jeep are in Hancock, we were driving along while they were filming on the overpass

So come on, honestly. Do you find it cool that you have been to places you see in the films? I constantly watch things and say 'oh that's at such and such', usually The Grove
It's kind of cool. I love to hate living here
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:24 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

It's kind of cool. I love to hate living here
I know exactly what you mean
Old Apr 1st 2011, 8:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

You don't say what visa you're getting, which will determine how soon you'll be able to move and if you'd be allowed to work or not, but presuming a company transfer.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:USA

Look through that, most of your general questions are answered already in there, and there are quite a lot more recent threads on LA as well as the state to cover a bit more depth.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Wicky is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. Thanks for all the info so far!! Some bits were more helpful than others, but all appreciated equally.

@Xebedee - nice!

I didn't mention the Visa stuff because apparently that's all being taken care of, although I believe I will have to personally apply for permission to work when I'm there.

No kids, so schools aren't an issue. For various reasons we are planning to live in the Pasadena/Duarte area, so any local knowledge would be appreciated.

My wife isn't working for MegaCorp Inc., she will be working for a university. This means limited relocation funds, a modest income & J1, J2 visa's respectively. Assume we're not loaded and not getting help with anything else, because I want to equip myself with the relevant baseline knowledge rather than waiting for somebody at the university to act on our behalf.

The Uni will cover my wife's medical insurance but not mine. What does this mean in reality; what are my obligations and how/where do I sort out adequate protection?

I'm a freelance graphic designer & web geek. I anticipate continuing to work in much the same way I do now – ie. working online with some of my existing UK clients. I think most of my current work will cease, so I'd also like to find some interesting creative work in LA.

Getting a decent internet connection is right at the top of my priority list. I know I'm not supposed to do any work until I get permission, but I can't ignore the maintenance needs of my remaining clients. Any info on this: providers; contracts; scams & things to avoid? Are there any public web connection facilities? Do apartments in blocks ever come with a supplied internet connection? Any info at all would be great.

It's good to know that the SS# is central to getting everything else: driving license, rent, etc. Do I have to do something to get this or is it an automatic part of the Visa application? If I have to do something, how do I get the ball rolling?
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 2:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wicky
The Uni will cover my wife's medical insurance but not mine. What does this mean in reality; what are my obligations and how/where do I sort out adequate protection?

I'm a freelance graphic designer & web geek. I anticipate continuing to work in much the same way I do now – ie. working online with some of my existing UK clients. I think most of my current work will cease, so I'd also like to find some interesting creative work in LA.
It's means you've got to spend a lot of money on medical insurance or you could potentially find yourself in a sticky situation.

There are plenty of threads covering how/where to find insurance, einsurance.com kind of thing, but you won't be getting those low rates because you dont' have US credit history and nor do you want the cheapest rates, it's all in the details, co-pays, deductibles, level of coverage covers a huge range and expect to pay several hundred a month, up to a grand for a healthy, youngish person a month for good cover.

If you don't have the right to work, and I'm not sure if you've got to apply for an EAD first, but if you do, then you can't work while in the US for your UK clients, especially if you have any actual thoughts in staying in the US. Internet is easy though, Fios, Comcast, whatever is offered in the zip code you live in.

City-data.com will help there.

SS you go to the local office and apply for one, bringing what makes you eligible for one as proof, you can google the actual requirements, though give it a couple weeks before applying so that you get into the SAVE system, other wise it can delay getting a number for 6 weeks.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

@Bob

I'm a bit confused by the order things are supposed to happen. If an SS# is required to find rentable accommodation and to apply for a driving license (that needs to be actioned in 10 days), how can I wait to apply for an SS#?

Can you show a list of the various steps to illustrate the priority: SS#; driving license; accommodation; ability to order utilities such as internet access; medical insurance; etc? It seems like one thing's dependent on another, but I'm not sure exactly which should happen first.

My understanding is that the J2 visa will entitle me to apply for an EAD, which is likely to take approx. 3 months to be granted. Any idea on the procedure, red tape & costs of an EAD application?

I know I'm not supposed to work, even for a UK company in that time, but would the US authorities really know (or care) that I have made a few adjustments to a UK clients website? And, how is work defined anyway… does it just refer to taxes & getting paid. Would getting paid into a UK account affect this?

Obviously, I'm not looking to break laws, I'm just wondering if it's possible to avoid leaving a few regular clients blowing in the wind during the EAD application period. If I were on holiday in the US, or anywhere else, I would almost certainly end up doing a few hours work via my laptop at some point… things always seems to go wrong for my clients when I'm on holiday!
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Use the reply button....but anyway.

You don't need a SSN to get a rental. You need one so they can run a background credit check on you, which is pointless because you won't have any. You'll just have to offer a larger deposit if they insist on doing the check.

Legally, you've got to get a CA license in 10 days, but it's just not going to happen, so you either don't drive, or you do.

There is no order in which you do things. You get the SSN as soon as you can't, but don't apply straight away.

Everything else, you get when you get and you'll be paying deposits down on most of it anyway because you have no US credit history.

You'll want to get insurance as soon as you can because you don't want a break in cover, I think 60 days? I can't remember, but a longer gap then you're in trouble because when you do get insurance they can and will block more stuff, but if you've had continuous coverage, which the NHS counts, they can't. It can still be arse numbingly expensive though.

EAD, uscis.gov look it up, 90 days, a few hundred bucks, fill form in, send it in, wait around.

Work is work, doesn't matter if you get paid or not, or where you get paid, you are physically in the US, you need authorisation to do it. Will they find out? Probably not, but income still needs to be declared and working when not allowed has serious consequences if you do get caught down the line while trying to get a greencard. You aren't here on a holiday, so that's that.

@Bob

I'm a bit confused by the order things are supposed to happen. If an SS# is required to find rentable accommodation and to apply for a driving license (that needs to be actioned in 10 days), how can I wait to apply for an SS#?

Can you show a list of the various steps to illustrate the priority: SS#; driving license; accommodation; ability to order utilities such as internet access; medical insurance; etc? It seems like one thing's dependent on another, but I'm not sure exactly which should happen first.

My understanding is that the J2 visa will entitle me to apply for an EAD, which is likely to take approx. 3 months to be granted. Any idea on the procedure, red tape & costs of an EAD application?

I know I'm not supposed to work, even for a UK company in that time, but would the US authorities really know (or care) that I have made a few adjustments to a UK clients website? And, how is work defined anyway… does it just refer to taxes & getting paid. Would getting paid into a UK account affect this?

Obviously, I'm not looking to break laws, I'm just wondering if it's possible to avoid leaving a few regular clients blowing in the wind during the EAD application period. If I were on holiday in the US, or anywhere else, I would almost certainly end up doing a few hours work via my laptop at some point… things always seems to go wrong for my clients when I'm on holiday!
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

The usual advice is to wait about 10 days before applying for a social security number because it takes about that time for the information that they need to verify your eligibility to get into their system. If you apply before that information is available they will just reject your application and you have to start again.

Yes, this means that it is impossible for you to get a CA driver's license in the first 10 days because you need either a social security number or proof that you are not eligible for one. Don't worry about it - just do it as soon as you can.

You do not *need* a social security number to open a bank account or to rent an apartment, but you will need to find a bank that understands that you don't need an SSN and you will need to find a landlord who is willing to accept credit references other than a standard US credit check (which needs an SSN). Since your wife will be working for a university that almost certainly has international students they should be able to advise you how to go about these things.

My biggest worry would be the fact that you don't have health insurance - again it would be worth talking to the university to see if there are any plans that specialize in covering spouses of university employees. It will also be a good idea to try to establish as much contact as possible with your wife's future colleagues and get advice from them.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My wife isn't working for MegaCorp Inc., she will be working for a university. This means limited relocation funds, a modest income & J1, J2 visa's respectively. Assume we're not loaded and not getting help with anything else, because I want to equip myself with the relevant baseline knowledge rather than waiting for somebody at the university to act on our behalf.
I think it's worth asking the university because they often have their own housing specifically for staff on a low income.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

I think it's worth asking the university because they often have their own housing specifically for staff on a low income.
I'm not sure what constitutes a low income? In the UK I regard academics as being in a moderate to middling financial bracket.

I know that wikipedia suggests between 28k and 35k as a median per capita income for the Duarte/Pasadena area, but median average isn't a great way to illustrate the actual cost of living.

Given that I won't be allowed to earn anything for 3 months, how difficult would it be for 2 people to live off an annual salary of 50k?
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 5:23 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Hurrah! I'm a J2, my husband is a J1 and works for a university. Our income is as modest as a well-bred Jane Austen heroine.

We're on the other side of the city, and I've only been to Pasadena once (it was very nice) so I can't give any area-specific info, but if you have any other questions about getting an apartment, an EAD (Employment Authorization Document = work permit) then I hope I can help.

The EAD application took just over two months (I think I put the timeline in my signature). It cost $380, and as part of the application you have to justify that any income you earn will NOT be used to support the J1 holder; this involves giving a break-down of your monthly household expenses. You cannot apply for the EAD until you're actually here.

Once I got my EAD, I could apply for a Social Security Number. That took about a week (and I don't think I've put that in my signature timeline).

Then you're good to go.

I'm not an expert, and I'm sure others will comment more knowledgeably on the issue, but: I really wouldn't advise doing even any remote work before you get the EAD. My understanding is that any work done while you are physically present in the US is... well, working in the US, no matter where your customers are and where you get paid.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Apr 2nd 2011 at 5:24 pm. Reason: timelines
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I
I know that wikipedia suggests between 28k and 35k as a median per capita income for the Duarte/Pasadena area, but median average isn't a great way to illustrate the actual cost of living.

Given that I won't be allowed to earn anything for 3 months, how difficult would it be for 2 people to live off an annual salary of 50k?
You might want to check out city-data.com as well.

$50k sounds like it would be really tight.

Rent, health insurance and car insurance will eat up a lot of that.

Do you know what your wife's tax situation is going to be? Some J-1 visa holders can avoid some US taxes provided that they stay in the US for less than a certain period of time (2 years, I think) - but beware of the fact that if you stay longer you will suddenly be faced with a tax bill for all of those back taxes. The answer to that question will make a big difference to whether this is going to be just difficult or impossible.

Also, don't forget that there are lots of one time costs involved in moving - you are going to have to buy furniture (furnished rentals are rare), and probably at least one car. Basic startup costs for relocation can easily be several tens of thousands of dollars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.