Reload this Page >

Moving to L.A.

Moving to L.A.

Old Aug 17th 2003, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

MikeF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to L.A.

Hi,

I am 32 and live in Aberdeen in Scotland and work in IT as anetwork administrator. If I really wanted to move to LA even for a year say then could this be done or is it in effect impossible ?

Regards,

Mike
Old Aug 17th 2003, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

RaymanInPA is an unknown quantity at this point

L.A. economy is booming at the moment. If you're the type who's got the guts and willingness to come to American then L.A. is probably the best place in terms of jobs. Theres lots of benefits to living out on the West Coast and I've done it for a while and would LOVE to go back. Theres just one problem...

...its expensive.
Old Aug 17th 2003, 7:47 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

I thought it wasnt booming in LA??? Quite the opposite, what with that lovely defecit too!
Old Aug 17th 2003, 10:06 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Why L.A.?

you ever been?
Old Aug 17th 2003, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by waxwabbit
I thought it wasnt booming in LA??? Quite the opposite, what with that lovely defecit too!
Shows how much you know then doesn't it pal. Funny how theres so many experts out there just itching to spread a message of doom and gloom to potential newcomers. Just last week one moron learned his lesson in North Carolina, now its your turn too.

http://realtytimes.com/rtcpages/2003...salevalues.htm

http://realtytimes.com/rtcpages/20030129_losangeles.htm
Old Aug 18th 2003, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

steppke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to L.A.

Originally posted by MikeF
Hi,

I am 32 and live in Aberdeen in Scotland and work in IT as anetwork administrator. If I really wanted to move to LA even for a year say then could this be done or is it in effect impossible ?

Regards,

Mike
It's not impossible but it is difficult. The job market, particularly in the IT industry is very tough at present on the west coast, so many excellent people have lost their jobs in Silicon Valley many have moved to LA. Check out Craigslist.com in LA and SF, particularly the job forums, this will give a more accurate picture of the job market rather than listening to random opinions from contributors who may or may not know what they are talking about. If you need a visa, it will be very tough - do you work for a multinational who may be able to transfer you here? As a Brit, my route here was initially on a consultancy contact, then H1-B, then married my USC husband, others I know have taken a years Masters program at a US uni, made contacts and got the visa sponsorshop that way. As I said, it's very tough but not impossible but I would really check out job boards and discussion forums in the area for an accurate picture. One tip, don't mention you're a potential visa candidate or you'll be flamed. Oh, and stating the obvious, you can't work without a visa unless you have another route to a Greencard of course.

Good luck
Old Aug 18th 2003, 1:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to L.A.

Hi,

I am 32 and live in Aberdeen in Scotland and work in IT as anetwork administrator. If I really wanted to move to LA even for a year say then could this be done or is it in effect impossible ? .....
There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close family member that can sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv)get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

It is not easy to get even a recruitment agent to take you seriously if you are not already in the US, but if you are getting a visa under (ii) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. It's a chicken and egg situation.

As there are currently many IT people looking for work it makes it more difficult as an employer is going to find it difficult to make a case to import a worker when there are Americans with similar qualifications looking for work.

Which ever way you try to do it. it is difficult, but if you really want to it is possible.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 18th 2003 at 1:53 am.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

We live in San Diego and have to say that any official government report will tell you the area is booming. However the reality is real estate is out of control and more and more people are out of work. 5 years ago there was an abundance of work, but now so many companies are reducing their staff to part-time and taking away their benefits. This is happening from the level of shop assistants thru to Engineers.

Not to say it is impossible to find a job, but is definitely a lot harder than it was 5 years ago.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 3:01 am
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

Rayman,

sigh

you are so flaming, that I can smell the charcoal off your body from across the pond.

I wasnt spreading doom and gloom as you suggested, just merely pointing out that I dont think California is in a relatively good state at the moment compared to the past, in particular, a deficit of some $34-38 billion cannot be good for the economy, whether or not property prices are appreciating as you quote.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/politi...-8033577c.html

So pal, you can go back to berating Patrick, although I think hes tired of you too...........

Lee
Old Aug 18th 2003, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RaymanInPA
Shows how much you know then doesn't it pal. Funny how theres so many experts out there just itching to spread a message of doom and gloom to potential newcomers. Just last week one moron learned his lesson in North Carolina, now its your turn too.

http://realtytimes.com/rtcpages/2003...salevalues.htm

http://realtytimes.com/rtcpages/20030129_losangeles.htm

Didn't you read the WSJ Friday RaymonPA??? Property taxes will probably have to go up in CA to try and fix the budget deficit- with the overvalued price of property over there... all I can say is ouch! and pity the poor buggers who have to pay it. My niece's place near LA is valued at over a million- its been the family home for 25 years- if they do hike up property taxes, she will have to sell up- she won't be able to afford it. And the WSJ is one of those publications that is whitewashing the situation. Jobs are just as difficult to find over in LA as they are in FL. It is not booming.

Last edited by Taffyles; Aug 18th 2003 at 3:33 am.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Moving to L.A.

Hi,

Regards,

Mike
First off Aberdeen is a lovely place and still one of my favourites places in Scotland

Secondly, LA is a lovely place and the sector you are in is very limited to jobs right now due to the Economy.

Thirdly, It is difficult to get sponsored but never give up
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Rayman,

sigh

you are so flaming, that I can smell the charcoal off your body from across the pond.

I wasnt spreading doom and gloom as you suggested, just merely pointing out that I dont think California is in a relatively good state at the moment compared to the past, in particular, a deficit of some $34-38 billion cannot be good for the economy, whether or not property prices are appreciating as you quote.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/politi...-8033577c.html

So pal, you can go back to berating Patrick, although I think hes tired of you too...........

Lee
What an ignorant response.

Just proceed to ignore the links I post and just waffle on and on about the defecit. What the hell is the significance of a number that the defecit represents anyway? What economic theory links defecits to recession?

There was a deficit during the boom years and there is one now. It dont mean nothing. What means something is jobs are aplenty and property prices rising. Understand?

Either put up some links that LA is in the pits or please shut up and sit in the corner with your dunce cap on.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Rayman as a Californian resident I am going to have to disagree with you.

You are 100% correct that there is a property boom on here, has been since 1997. However, there is not a corresponding increase in jobs available. You just have to ask around and those who are out of work are struggling to easily find another. Many companies are quietly putting people off in small numbers. You can quote all the links you like, but all I am telling you is the reality of what I see around me.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 3:46 pm
Wabbit Lord

Lol

Ignorant response - Ive watched many of your posts with Patrick, and I find you highly hyprocritical......

Just look around at what people who are LIVING in California have to say on the matter.....Ive based my opinion on the many people saying beware of the job market...sure the may be a percentage of people who can get a job, but I think it would be in the minority.......

Economic theory linking defecits to recession - if you think a $38 billion defecit will have no bearing on the economy, then you are without doubt an ignoramous.

As for job losses....(Mark Steyn quote for the Chicago Sun)

"Mark Steyn recently noted that the May employment figures showed a net gain of 4,500 jobs for the other 49 states -- but a 21,500 job loss in California. I'd be fascinated to see a deeper analysis to show exactly how much of the nation's lingering economic hangover is concentrated in the one place where the writ of conservative economic policies barely runs."

So theres my quote, so I needn't sit in the corner with my dunce cap on, Ill let you take my place, and you can also try to fit your twat cap on too.

Anyway, as I said before, you are a flaming troll , and Im ignoring you...many people in this group have put you on ignore, and Im gonna join them.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Vicky88 - sure, in certain segments the job market is bad, but the simple fact is that house prices do not rise without a strong jobs market. A recession or boom isn't based on just your personal experiances. You've got to look at the stats which demonstrate that while theres areas where it not so great, generally LA is doing nicely.

Originally posted by Vicky88
Sorry Rayman as a Californian resident I am going to have to disagree with you.

You are 100% correct that there is a property boom on here, has been since 1997. However, there is not a corresponding increase in jobs available. You just have to ask around and those who are out of work are struggling to easily find another. Many companies are quietly putting people off in small numbers. You can quote all the links you like, but all I am telling you is the reality of what I see around me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.