Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Idaho with baby (due in May) from UK?!

Moving to Idaho with baby (due in May) from UK?!

Old Apr 2nd 2015, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Yorkie74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Idaho with baby (due in May) from UK?!

Hi,

Just been offered a job at a firm in Idaho. Rather complicated as my wife is pregnant and due end of May. Firm suggested she have baby over there but wife is not keen so not feasible.
Anyhow realistically I think I would move over end of June and wife either come with me and baby then or wait a few weeks.
In terms of what baby needs medically etc how would it work? I would be on private healthcare etc I guess but wife concerned baby need injections and stuff.
Are there companies who help with moving over, not as much furniture stuff but more logistical stuff and admin stuff, also advice on work visa, I guess company going to do this but they are a small outfit and first time they get someone from overseas. It will initially only be a few months then possibly longer or permanent as I supporting and creating a european team.
Sorry for longness of email but not sure where else to look or who to ask!
My head is spinning, excited but concerned that wife and baby be happy and ok.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:26 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Idaho with baby (due in May) from UK?!

Sounds like a H1B, but you don't say if you already work for them or not. This company don't seem to have a clue either, which isn't a good start - since even if you could get an H1B you wouldn't start until October!
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Im hoping they do have a clue! Im asking in advance so I know the potential process. I have been offered employment and the idea is i come over to train for few months then go back to UK or I may stay depending on what happens etc
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that you ask the company what they are doing about visa sponsorship. If they are a small firm, they need to consult a law firm specializing in immigration.

Another very important item to ask about is healthcare, especially as your wife is pregnant.

Good luck.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:44 am
Just Joined

I intend to but just seeing if others been down same road and their experiences etc.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

We've seen a few cases where a 'smaller' US based firm has offered a job to someone overseas, without realizing the difficulties that visa sponsorship create. I.e. they are often not aware of the long lead time (and the lottery component) of the H-1B visa. They may also suggest that you 'work' for them while on the VWP, while sorting out the paperwork later (this is illegal and could result in a ban on entering the US).

ETA: I suspect that the vast majority of posters here have arrived in the US via work transfers (L-1 visa - much easier than H-1B) or by marriage to a US citizen. (I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that the number who have/had H-1B visas is substantially less) > Time for a poll?

Last edited by AlphaTangoMike; Apr 2nd 2015 at 12:03 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 12:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the visa, there really isn't much we can say here. It really is up to the company to consult with an immigration attorney, who will advise them of the best visa they can petition you for.

I wouldn't be too worried about the big move to the USA until your potential employer can tell you what visa they plan to petition you for. Since they've never done this before, they probably have no idea of the costs or time frames involved.

Rene
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 12:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkie74
I intend to but just seeing if others been down same road and their experiences etc.
It really will depend on the visa, as there's a big difference depending on which one the company goes for. You can read up on them here - Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

As the others have said, they need to consult an immigration attorney, and you need to make sure that they're aware that it will cost them thousands to bring you over, and is unlikely to be a quick process. If they've not hired for overseas before, they may be thinking that it'll be easier than it really will.

Assuming it's a H1-B, you won't be starting for them in June unless they're cap exempt, in fact it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to start from them until October 2016 if that's the case, as I suspect all of the H1-B visas have gone for this year already (it opened yesterday). So they may need to explore things with the lawyer to see if there are any other options, which will depend on what you do, your qualifications, and the role.

Good luck with it.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 12:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Regarding the visa, there really isn't much we can say here. It really is up to the company to consult with an immigration attorney, who will advise them of the best visa they can petition you for. ....
Or indeed IF there is a visa that they can petition for.

In cases like this (small employer, no history of hiring from outside the US) it is not uncommon to find that there is no visa that works, at least not on the time frame they envisage.

BTW If they haven't got an H-1 visa application in the mail before the end of the day tomorrow they are probably too late for a visa to start work on October 1, 2015 and you won't get a visa that enables you to start work before October 1, 2016.
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
..... I suspect all of the H1-B visas have gone for this year already (it opened yesterday). ......
Based on what has happened in prior years, H1s are not assigned on a first come first served basis, the "window" to apply stays open for a week, and then there is a lottery to determine who is successful.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 2nd 2015 at 12:53 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 1:51 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Just been offered a job at a firm in Idaho. Rather complicated as my wife is pregnant and due end of May. Firm suggested she have baby over there but wife is not keen so not feasible.
This comment alone shows how out of touch with the realities of immigration and health insurance this firm is -- your wife is absolutely right to insist upon staying in the UK to deliver the child.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I would be on private healthcare etc I guess but wife concerned baby need injections and stuff.
You need to get more detail on everything. There is only 'private healthcare etc'. What insurance coverage is the employer providing?

As others have said, you need to find out the visa type being proposed. You can't work for them until you get it.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 2:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
This comment alone shows how out of touch with the realities of immigration and health insurance this firm is -- your wife is absolutely right to insist upon staying in the UK to deliver the child.
Never mind immigration and insurance matters, valid concerns though they are, at 7+ months pregnant she wouldn't be allowed to fly anyway.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
It will initially only be a few months then possibly longer or permanent as I supporting and creating a european team.
This sounds like a very vague job offer ..... as said you can't work in the US until you have the relevant visa.

So this is the very first thing you need to sort out with them.

It is very rare for US companies to offer a "try it and see" type of job offer; and why would one even contemplate moving to the US, which is a huge personal upheaval, on such an uncertain offer?

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Apr 2nd 2015 at 3:29 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 3:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The issue with the missus might be not being allowed to fly if she's close to her due date. Then you've got to sort a visa for the baby.

If the baby is born in the US, would need a US passport and all the rest that comes with being a US citizen.

Anyway, you don't want to wing it over here, as being this late in the pregnancy, might find it hard getting a OB/GYN wanting to take her on and then all the associated costs will be a potential eye opener.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Boise, Idaho for 12 years until about 4 months ago. In Oregon now. Also became a dad in Boise last summer. So if you have any questions on Boise/Idaho/having a kid there, l may be able to offer some info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.