Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Wikiposts

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Old May 29th 2007, 8:18 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

If you are coming over on the visa waiver ..you will not be allowed to stay after marriage.. you will have to return to the UK to get the H-4 visa
Old May 29th 2007, 8:20 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
If you are coming over on the visa waiver ..you will not be allowed to stay after marriage.. you will have to return to the UK to get the H-4 visa
Good point. Though she should be able to get it from a Consulate in Canada... that's what we did.
Old May 29th 2007, 8:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Good point. Though she should be able to get it from a Consulate in Canada... that's what we did.
why not mexico? that would be closer...
Old May 29th 2007, 8:34 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
why not mexico? that would be closer...
I suppose so... we went to Vancouver because it was an established trail - no idea about how the process works in Mexico.

And certaily wouldn't want to drive there...
Old May 29th 2007, 8:36 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome!

At least you are thinking about the possible problems beforehand - that is sensible.

I'm an H4 - look at the number of posts I have and my arcade trophy

I felt a lot happier when I met some British friends.
Old May 29th 2007, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sofi
Hi All,

I've lived in Manchester UK my whole life but I'm getting married and moving to Houston at the end of this year. My fiance has been living and working there for about a year and a half.

I'm really worried that I'm going to be totally homesick as all my family and friends are in the UK.

Does anybody have any hints and tips on how to settle in? Stuff I should do when I get there etc?? I visited my fiance last May and I think the move is going to be a huge culture shock!!

Any advice to help my transition will be much appreciated...........
Welcome.

I'm afraid (American) me will second the Ouch - Houston - Ouch thing.

But yes, it is warmer. It will be an adventure - it's even a different culture from the rest of the U.S. as well.
Old May 29th 2007, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Sofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone for all the really helpful advice
Hmm....I'm definitely getting the ouch factor
Old May 29th 2007, 9:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sofi
Thanks everyone for all the really helpful advice
Hmm....I'm definitely getting the ouch factor
Welcome to BE Sofi.

At least now you know to be prepared for a huge culture shock.

Don't worry about the work thing...you'll be able to spend more time on here chatting to us.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 29th 2007 at 9:14 am.
Old May 29th 2007, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE Sofi.

At least now you know to be prepared for a huge culture shock. You said your fiance is working in Houston for 1 1/2 yrs...at least you have an end date so if you are unhappy here you can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Don't worry about the work thing...you'll be able to spend more time on here chatting to us.
Did I read it wrong? I think he's already been there for 1 1/2 years - where did it say it was temporary?
Old May 29th 2007, 9:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Did I read it wrong? I think he's already been there for 1 1/2 years - where did it say it was temporary?
Thanks...I've been in the sun too long this afternoon...I'll do a quick edit.
Old May 29th 2007, 9:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Rice Village = British Food Store If you stay in there long enough each day you will soon make friends with other Brits

Welcome........I've been in the Houston area for almost 20 years now and it's not so bad. There is a great Theatre district, some great sport venues and also lots of places to eat and shop. You will need to drive as a) it is too hot to walk, b) everything is spread out and c) there is public transport but you may not enjoy your fellow passengers too much!

Good luck with your pending marriage and visa application.

BTW....Rice University is quite posh, there are some very nice houses in that vicinity.
Old May 29th 2007, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sofi, welcome to BE.
I can't comment on Houston but from what I read on here it's not a place I'm in a hurry to visit. I've been in DFW for a year now and yes it was a massive culture shock moving from my home town where I was born and stayed all my life to Texas! It is what you make it and as long as you keep an open mind I'm sure you'll get along fine. As for meeting people Texans are very friendly people and I'm sure that you won't be short of new friends. Sounds as though there's quite a few Brits in that neck of the woods too so that's a bonus!
Best wishes for your forthcoming wedding.
Old May 29th 2007, 10:42 am
The OC

MancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really nice

Don't be scared, there are alot less guns in Houston!
Old May 29th 2007, 11:22 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Welcome.

The way to get to know people here quickly is volunteer.

Whatever your interest is, I can bet you can find somewhere to volunteer. That way you get to know the way things work here and you'll not feel as down in the dumps if you have something to do every day
Old May 29th 2007, 11:44 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Welcome.

The way to get to know people here quickly is volunteer.

Whatever your interest is, I can bet you can find somewhere to volunteer. That way you get to know the way things work here and you'll not feel as down in the dumps if you have something to do every day
Yes very true, if "hubs" goes off to work each day and you're left aimless, it's not good. I really enjoy helping in the school library.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.