Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston from Aberdeen

Moving to Houston from Aberdeen

Old Sep 23rd 2014, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

matrix1781 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Houston from Aberdeen

Hi

Me and my wife will be moving to Houston in March 2015. We will be in temporary accommodation for the first month and then need to rent. I will be working in the north West (290 & Gessner Road) and my wife will be actively seeking work. So we need to be in a location that suits both of us.

I dont mind 30-45 min commute as long as the wife can easily go and meet recruiters etc for the job hunt. I frequently travel to Houston so have an idea regarding the traffic. We have no kids so no restriction with respect to school district but would like an area where there are restaurants and a few things to do. Apartment preferable for the 1st year. Any suggestions on good neighborhoods? Not a big fan of I10 from Katy in the mornings but not sure if it is as bad as it looks. Please advise.

Thanks
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 5:27 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston from Aberdeen

Houston, TX : British Expat Wiki

Hopefully you have already found the houston guide, but if not here's the link. I wouldn't see the point of you being out in Katy. There's no need if you aren't looking for schooling. You could find something much better nearer you. I usually advice somewhere like city center as you have an apartment there which a big range of facilities and you are surrounded by bars, restaurants etc. it is very pricey though.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Weeze
Houston, TX : British Expat Wiki

Hopefully you have already found the houston guide, but if not here's the link. I wouldn't see the point of you being out in Katy. There's no need if you aren't looking for schooling. You could find something much better nearer you. I usually advice somewhere like city center as you have an apartment there which a big range of facilities and you are surrounded by bars, restaurants etc. it is very pricey though.
Thanks weeze

Are there any hidden gems that you know of in the city centre area. I have looked at a few apartments near inner loop using the HAR.com. They are either above $1750 (my budget) or too small and cramped.

Cheers

Raj
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:04 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

CITYCENTRE - Welcome to CITYCENTRE

Ah, I should have explained more. City center is an area, not the center of the city. It's further out from inner loup.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Look at Champions or even areas around Spring (near Willowbrook mall are tons of restaurants, etc.)

Your budget is low for City Centre or the hipper areas inside the loop (Rice Village, Montrose, Upper Kirby.) Heights is a nice option too, just work with a local realtor as there are some dodgy areas in Heights.

Oh, Montrose, Upper Kirby, those areas might be a bit of a hike though, for a job on the 290 in the northwest. Also look at Jersey Village (which is where your work is) and remember that EVERYWHERE you are in Houston, you have to drive there. Champions is north of Jersey Village.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anyone left back home in Aberdeen????
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Oh, Montrose, Upper Kirby, those areas might be a bit of a hike though, for a job on the 290 in the northwest. Also look at Jersey Village (which is where your work is) and remember that EVERYWHERE you are in Houston, you have to drive there. Champions is north of Jersey Village.
Jersey village is outside the beltway entirely. If his work is just south of 290 at Gessner, I think that counts as Spring Branch, even though the school district is Cy-Fair, not Spring Branch. And in that case, I'm not sure I'd want to have to queue to cross the beltway feeder road on my commute each day, from Jersey Village to work and back.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

We actually live near 290 and Gessner interchange. It's not as far south as you think. Yes, it is Spring Branch, but they don't care about school districts. And resale would be better for a house on spring branch. It's a funky interchange upmthere but not required to include the beltway. OP will see this if he looks in those areas before settling a place to stay.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Is there anyone left back home in Aberdeen????
Still plenty of people. Very few want to getaway from tropical weather
Old Sep 24th 2014, 4:38 pm

While you are in your temporary accommodation I would look round memorial, town and country, galleria, bunker hill. The galleria is an expensive area, but you can get apartments in your budget and you are going to be so close to everything. Shops, cafes etc. plus you are going to be handy for getting around the city when your wife is job searching. We've been in a few apartment complexes and stayed in one there for 3 months. Pools, gyms, security entry. I think they have a lot going for them.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:51 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
Jersey village is outside the beltway entirely. If his work is just south of 290 at Gessner, I think that counts as Spring Branch, even though the school district is Cy-Fair, not Spring Branch. And in that case, I'm not sure I'd want to have to queue to cross the beltway feeder road on my commute each day, from Jersey Village to work and back.
Most people consider just inside the beltway there as JV still. It feeds into JV high school still. I rented a house there for $1,500/mo for a year (Woodwind Lakes) and my inlaws live very close by too (Rolling Forks). If you go across at Phillipine rather than one of the bigger intersections it's not so bad.

I'd probably look at City Center as Weeze suggested if you're looking for apartment and amenities on tap.

Last edited by Bink; Sep 24th 2014 at 10:54 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Weeze
While you are in your temporary accommodation I would look round memorial, town and country, galleria, bunker hill. The galleria is an expensive area, but you can get apartments in your budget and you are going to be so close to everything. Shops, cafes etc. plus you are going to be handy for getting around the city when your wife is job searching. We've been in a few apartment complexes and stayed in one there for 3 months. Pools, gyms, security entry. I think they have a lot going for them.
Bunker hill looks excellent. Looks like there are quite a few 2 BR apartments in and around bunker hill and memorial for around $1500 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Nokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to all

Good luck to you. I left aberdeen 20 years ago. I'm now in South Florida.