Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving Home Contents To Usa. Need Shipper&storage Company Recommendations

Moving Home Contents To Usa. Need Shipper&storage Company Recommendations

Old May 2nd 2007, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

PhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving Home Contents To Usa. Need Shipper&storage Company Recommendations

While my move was different (I did not own a house), I made it very simple. At that time, airlines allowed 2 checked cases at 32kg each. I loaded them up, right to the max, and had family bring out 1 more case and golf clubs when they came to visit.

I went with the thought of 'if you haven't used it in the last year, you don't need it'. It was actually a good way for me to get rid of a lot of junk, and buy plenty of new items.

However, I understand your situation is more complex, especially with family member and house contents. But the theory might be something to consider. Good luck.
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:58 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Home Contents To Usa. Need Shipper&storage Company Recommendations

Originally Posted by PhilH930
While my move was different (I did not own a house), I made it very simple. At that time, airlines allowed 2 checked cases at 32kg each. I loaded them up, right to the max, and had family bring out 1 more case and golf clubs when they came to visit.

I went with the thought of 'if you haven't used it in the last year, you don't need it'. It was actually a good way for me to get rid of a lot of junk, and buy plenty of new items.

However, I understand your situation is more complex, especially with family member and house contents. But the theory might be something to consider. Good luck.
i think that tactic is a good one. have thrown away loads of the kids crappy toys and so far they havent even noticed. just got to get rid of mine now! Gotta be ruthless!!
Old May 4th 2007, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Vern
I'll put in a good word for EuroUSA as well -- they were superb. Packed everything for us with zero fuss, loaded up the container and off it went. Painless.

Everything went great, even though we'd originally asked them to send it to NC and we ended up in WA (a long story), they had no problems rerouting the container and didn't even charge us extra!

Not a single thing was damaged, and the unloaded team in Seattle were great as well. Every box was numbered and I got to check them off as they came out of the container. They put everything where we asked and even reassembled the beds for us. All we had to do was open the boxes and we were done.

I'd recommend them anytime.

Yes that is who we used too, Bob Oot the chaps name was who sorted it, hes an American himself.

On arrival they got echo transworld to unpack us and its echo we are using to go back home in June.
Old May 4th 2007, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
Hi - from all your wealth of experience, can anyone enlighten me on the merits/and whatever the opposite of that is, of shipping/storage companies.

We are going to need to get our house contents shipped to CA and the stuff we dont is going into storage. Would prefer to have one company do both if possible.

What have been your good and bad experiences of this and is there any company who you feel able to recommend to us?

Is there anything you took to the US you wish you hadnt and vice versa (leave spouses/children out of this commentary please!).

What did you take that you really thought you needed and didnt? Is it worth storing dishwashers/washers etc or are they best disposed of. And various questions along those lines.
I would highly reccomend The Removal Group, they were the cheapest, have great account managers that are you 1 stop shop for dealing with problems, quotes, shipping etc.
Because you will end up using about 3 different companies for the different stages of the move, its great to just have one person to call and deal with everything for you.

If you use them i strongly adivse that you ask for Rupert, he was absolutely fantastic. We moved 3 cubic meters, packed, insured, collected and delivered for under £900, which was about £400 cheaper than the nearest competitor.

If you use them, tell rupert that Wayne who just moved to TN recommended him!