Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Florida

Moving to Florida

Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Florida

Originally Posted by FinJojo
The company has offices in 13 different countries and as long as my husband will carry on dealing with at least one foreign office, Whilst working in USA, it is okay ...
If you had mentioned that 3 days ago, people probably wouldn't have been so concerned about your visa or it's possible ongoing validity. Just sayin'.

Ian
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

FinJojo is an unknown quantity at this point

Also could have mentioned the fact CFO is buying the house for now, and then transferring the house to our names when we are there with money that is actually ours that the company 'owes' us in shares and sale profits, and thus we aren't really as such going to be out of pocket. Maybe that would have stopped people being so worried and negative in our way of buying a house straight off? That we intend to keep on as holiday home even if we do come back sooner rather than later. Could have mentioned that too, or the fact that we are not rich but not doing too badly either. And maybe even hint how my husband did manage to put in the offer letter that he signed a clause about him being paid 12 full calendar months from the day of commencing work with them ... So have a quarantine of sorts for a salary for the next year. But chose not to mention any of those things, until felt the need to justify after so much negativity.

My sister is having an opportunity to move to Florida too but never even dream of suggesting anything else then them renting. It's going to be a shock enough for them to realise how different the lifestyle is and how they'd need to leave most of their electronics home (she does love her new dyson she only got few months ago ... Unless its dual one, which I doubt). I on the other hand can't wait to buy new stuff, American size washing mach and tumble drier, new vacuum and hair straighteners plus huge tvs.

Like I've said few times already, we do EXPECT some problems, and things not going to plan, we have done moves from country to country enough times to know that. We also know we do things our way, a way that doesn't suit most people and thus I'd never recommend doing it this way to anyone. But houses are our thing, we invest into them for the future, and that's what we see the house as in long term. Unless we decide otherwise.

Jojo
Old Jun 18th 2012, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FinJojo
Maybe that would have stopped people being so worried and negative in our way of buying a house straight off?
I dare say, you're probably right!

But chose not to mention any of those things, until felt the need to justify after so much negativity.
Respectfully, we've seen many people crash and burn because of far less! If questions are asked, it's because of possible pitfalls that you need to be aware of. Please understand that no one here wants to see you fail... that's all. Such questions may be annoying to you, but they are asked with a genuine concern for your future.

Ian