Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Florida for 4 months, help appreciated please!

Moving to Florida for 4 months, help appreciated please!

Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:40 am
Just Joined

Matt4922 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Florida for 4 months, help appreciated please!

I will be moving to Florida in January for 4 months with my family and would appreciate some basic advice please. I have already researched and have ideas on some things but would very much appreciate tried and tested advice.

We need to be based centrally. I have a wife and 3 children (3 years, 6 month twins) and would like to live in a safe, nice area which is good for kids. Initial thoughts are Windermere or Isleworth? Happy to pay up to $6000 per month for a house.

We also need to hire 2 cars for the 4 month period, need to consider minor shipping (we have a house in the UK so won't be moving everything except essentials although I presume it may be cheaper to just buy a couple of cots, etc when we arrive). We are also thinking about bringing our dog.

All advice welcome and thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

Matt
Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Florida for 4 months, help appreciated please!

Originally Posted by Matt4922
I will be moving to Florida in January for 4 months with my family...
I'm curious... what sort of visa allows you to move to the US for 4 months?

We are also thinking about bringing our dog.
Respectfully, it doesn't sound like you'll be moving at all.

Ian
Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks Ian. It will be on a fast track L1 or possibly B1. Our company is setting up various US offices
Old Dec 10th 2012, 9:43 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It will be on a fast track L1 or possibly B1.
Ah, well... no worries with the L-1 - but you can't move to the US on a B-1, although you can visit. Don't bring your dog if you end up with a B-1. Once the CBP officers get it into their head that you're moving to the US on a visa that doesn't allow you to do that, you'll be sent back home on the next flight.

Anyway, there's lots of folks in and around Florida who'll be happy to answer... once the US wakes up!

Ian
Old Dec 10th 2012, 11:36 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you uproot your entire family for 4 months? Sounds like alot of hassle for a very short period!
Old Dec 10th 2012, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Why would you uproot your entire family for 4 months? Sounds like alot of hassle for a very short period!
Why would you not? The children are under school age, so no disruption there - sounds like a fabulous long holiday paid for by the company

OP - if you can, get your company to provide as much assistance as possible for things like accommodation. As Ian has said, an L visa will be much better for you than a B1. With that you will be able to get a SS number and a driving licence, although it might be a fair bit of effort getting set up with everything.

Check out the situation for medical insurance too - make sure you don't fall between the cracks and can't be covered by travel insurance (too long a trip maybe) and don't have full cover while you are in the US.

Tax situation could be complicated as well - might be worth looking into that.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Hi,

I live in Windermere Isleworth isn't a place as such it's a community within Windermere, a very expensive one at that. Finding somewhere to rent for only 4 months is going to be really hard in Windermere, rental properties go very quickly and are usually a minimum of 12 months. IMO Isleworth is overpriced, you are buying the name! You can get a lot more for your money in other communities around Windermere. Finding somewhere to have pets is going to be a tough one too, be prepared to pay a lot higher deposit.

Where will you be working? You just say Florida, Florida is bigger than England!

Shipping things over for 4 months, well it's around 6-8wks each way, is it really worth it?!

Renting cars is pretty simple as there are lots of rental places although longer term tends to be more expensive for some reason, we ended up renting for a month at a time and swapping it until we got our own car.

HTH
Old Dec 10th 2012, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the help so far. The reason for the visit is to setup a US office in preparation for a new franchise operation. We have completed lots of research (and visits) over the last 2 years and this next 4 months is the next stage. As I am heading up the US launch I have limited company support with the exception of a significant budget. We have the business/visa/company stuff in hand, I am more interested in support for my family and personal stuff.

My family are very excited about swapping a cold wet winter with a sunny one around a pool so the 4 months will be perfect.

Are there any parts of Windermere I should consider or other areas? I agree it will be best to treat it as a holiday and not ship items or bring the dog.

Advice on preschool for our 3 year old would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

There are no particularly bad areas of Windermere, however there are some communities that weren't for us I would recommend you stick to the communities on the right of the 535 and you should be fine Other areas will depend on where you are commuting to and from, ideally try to avoid driving on the I4

If you are going to use a pool make sure your company pays for the electricity bill as it will be approaching $1000 a month during the winter, in the summer it's around $600-700 a month which is bad enough! Most people don't use the pool during the winter months due to the high running costs so it's worth checking when renting that you can use the pool over the winter.

I can ask a friend tomorrow about pre-schools as she works at one in Windermere, I believe they are quite expensive, it's not free here until they reach VPK which is the equivalent of Reception in the UK.

HTH

Vicki
Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:26 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

the dog has more right to live here than your family.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help so far. The reason for the visit is to setup a US office in preparation for a new franchise operation. We have completed lots of research (and visits) over the last 2 years and this next 4 months is the next stage. As I am heading up the US launch I have limited company support with the exception of a significant budget. We have the business/visa/company stuff in hand, I am more interested in support for my family and personal stuff.
Absent company-provided health insurance, and with a young family, your number one priority is health insurance.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 9:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Advice on preschool for our 3 year old would be appreciated. Thanks
I believe it will require the L visa for your child to be able to attend school in the US. I'm sure an expert will confirm.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I believe it will require the L visa for your child to be able to attend school in the US. I'm sure an expert will confirm.
Is preschool for a 3 year old actually "school" or just daycare with some educationally stimulating activities?
Old Dec 11th 2012, 1:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Is preschool for a 3 year old actually "school" or just daycare with some educationally stimulating activities?
Beats me! But I was querying if a visitor on a B could enroll a child in such a program, especially if it was provided by a local authority, whereas I would think that someone on an L could.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 6:08 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You don't need any visa for your children to attend school in the US, the school isn't allowed to ask under the provisions of a Supreme Court decision from years ago. Alabama has forced their schools to start doing it, last I heard it was being challenged in court.

I'm not anti-immigrant, but I do think the whole thing is bonkers, family enters illegally, sends kids to US school, kids think they're American and then you end up with the current nonsense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.