Reload this Page >

Moving to Florida

Moving to Florida

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 2:57 pm
IJP
Just Joined

IJP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Florida

Hello all, I have the opportunity to work in Miami for a couple of years on secondment. My girlfriend will come with me as my company will sponsor her as she is classed as my partener (we have a joint mortgage etc). We are in our 20s and have no children thus far.
I work in IT and she is a qualified childminder although she currently works with horses. We currently live in Southern France, although we are English. We have dogs and we like the out doors life (walking, horse riding, camping etc). Based on what I have just related to you could you please give me your opinions on the following:

1) Is Miami a pleasent place to live (in terms of quality of life).

2) Will my girlfriend be able to find a reasonable job with her current skill set ? By reasonable, I mean one that pays more than minimum wage and that has a legal status (i.e she pays tax etc).

3) Are there nice country side areas outside of Miami to live that are not too far away (My offices are on the S/W outskirts of Miami)

4) What can be rented for 1000 USD a month ? A house or an appartment ?

5) Is FL a good place for out door persuits (camping, horse riding etc).

6) Is it a dangerous place in terms of crime ? Obviously we will not walk around known trouble spots late at night, but does crime impact your daily lives ?

Sorry if my questions are a little naive but I don't know anything about FL as I have never vistied, although I have been to CT and also GA a couple of times so I am familiar with American culture, and the differences between living in the US and Europe.

Thanks for any thoughts.

IJP.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 3:24 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Just a few questions eh?
No doubt you will get a few different answers.

We live in Florida, well North Florida but have family in South Florida about 15 miles North of Miami.
Answers:
1. No, not in my humble opinion. Unless you are either gay or Hispanic.
2. Not sure, but doubt that she can even legally work. Try the US embassy website.
3. See answer #1. Mind you if you keep going South there are the Keys, they are fantastic.
4. A 1 possibly 2 bedroom condo/shack in a depressed area.
5. It's a great place for outdoor persuits. The State Parks are a great place to start.
6. See answer # 1. I would not live there if you paid me all the money in the world.

Sorry if my answers seem a little flippant, don't mean to be I just don't like the whole South Florida region.

Maybe someone has a different experience.

Last edited by excpomea; Mar 2nd 2004 at 3:28 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 3:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I am afraid I have to agree overall with excpomea..with a couple of small exceptions.

I presume you will be using an L-1B visa your Girlfriend will not get the L-2 unless your married.

The keys dids not impress me at all.. just a tourist trap with expensive everything..
I spell pursuit differently.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 3:53 pm
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Dufus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

well I think you should maybe visit Miami for a week or so before you commit to 2 years, you will either love it or hate it - I love it

We are in the process of buying a house in Coral Gables which is a wonderful place to live, not as wild as South Beach but is beautiful In the meantime we are renting a (small) 1 bedroom apartment near(ish) to the beach and it is $1600 per month - but our realtor got us a good rate while we wait for the completion on our house.

I do not think $1000 will get you anywhere decent to live at all.

Also, the other posters are right about the visa, unless you are married the fact that your company will assist her means nothing to the US Immigration.

For rent prices check out

http://www.miaminewtimes.com

Good Luck
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 5:20 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
I am afraid I have to agree overall with excpomea..with a couple of small exceptions.

I spell pursuit differently.
Don't be afraid Ray, be alert. America needs lerts. sorry

I think your right it's pursuit as opposed to persuit, but we all get the idea