Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dallas

Moving to Dallas

Old Feb 5th 2010, 12:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dallas

I'm not saying that's a problem for everyone, but they are problems people bitch about the place and parts of the US in general.

Originally Posted by dbj1000
You don't half talk some crap Bob!

Isolation - yes, I suppose that can be an issue anywhere when you're a new immigrant. I'm pretty sure I would have felt that way anywhere at some stage.

Religion - yes, people here tend to be more religious than in the UK and many parts of the US, but in nearly 7 years here I've only had three people really try and talk to me about religion.

Guns? I've been here over 6 years and I haven't seen ONE, with the exception of the cops.

Lack of seasons? You must be thinking of somewhere else. It's bloody hot here for a very long summer, but you get a more "real" winter than the UK (well, except this year's UK winter...)

Massive mozzies? I'm pretty sure 50% of America has them worse. Now if you'd said chiggers or snakes or spiders...
Old Feb 5th 2010, 12:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NIKKI76
We would be comming over on a work transfer so its hard to say how long we will stay...
Definitely check out the wiki then, plenty of info on things to consider in the relocation package and what not, even a few recent threads to search out.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:58 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm not saying that's a problem for everyone, but they are problems people bitch about the place and parts of the US in general.
I'm only pulling your leg Bob.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I'm only pulling your leg Bob.
Saying all that, 2 of those friends are in the 150 bracket, they must be living like kings out there, well compared to being in LA so I don't know what they're complaining about
Old Feb 5th 2010, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NIKKI76
Hi there,my family and I are moving to Dallas (Irving) from the Uk for my husbands work,this may seem very random,but could realy do with advice on cost of living(gas,water,electric,air con,taxes,eating out ect)good areas to live in,schools ect,we are still very early on with our research,so any advice would be much appreciated many thanks
Hi Nikki

What an exciting time for you! I'm about an hour west of Dallas so can't really help you with the housing and school questions, but I love living here in Texas (mind you I was in Michigan before so that isn't saying a lot )
As Bob and others have pointed out the ac will eat up the pennies...hot, hot, hot in the summer! I know some ex-pats who come over for a relatively short stint...some love it, some hate it. Just come with an open mind
Old Feb 5th 2010, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

NIKKI76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys for all your tips & advice,as im sure yous have all been there and know how scary it is,but realy looking forward to making a new life out there and to being very open minded about everything & just taking everything as we find it thanks again

PS im sure ill be on here again before long,rattling on about something or other lol
Old Feb 5th 2010, 3:17 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
But you're mixing rural Texas situations with the DFW metroplex and it's not an accurate picture. Remember, Texas is larger than the whole of Europe and the areas differ vastly. For example, most of the men around here are metrosexuals. You have to drive 200 - 300 miles to even catch glimpse of a real shit kicker.

To the OP - Irving is a little more "run down" than most of the surrounding areas that you can choose from. Not that there aren't some "nice" neighborhoods - just that there are also plenty of "not so nice" areas.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 3:22 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Just read a little more.

Coppell/Grapevine sounds like a good target.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

m151tx will become famous soon enough

Hi.

I have lived in Texas and specifically the DFW area (Dallas/Fort Worth) for about 20 years and would not live anywhere else.

Having lived all over Europe and traveled on business all over the US I can tell you that Texans are among the most generous, outgoing and least pretentious people that I have ever met. I would suspect that if your experience has been significantly different than mine that you may want to reconsider the area that you live in or the circle of people you associate with.

Living about 40 mins from downtown Dallas and near a number of small towns I have found that by making the effort to get out and get involved in the community one will make all sorts of friends.

A few years ago I broke my back and it put me down and I was not too mobile. Even though I live outside town I had a constant stream of people from the mail carrier who brought my mail up to the house (my mailbox is at the end of a long driveway) to neighbours dropping off food and movies, to the sherrif deputies stopping by to just say hi.

I can think of a lot worse places to live than rural Texas but very few where the people are as caring and considerate as they are here !!

Anyway thats my few cents worth.

Good luck with the move.

Mark
Old Feb 6th 2010, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

mummyof2 has a spectacular aura aboutmummyof2 has a spectacular aura aboutmummyof2 has a spectacular aura about

Hi, we lived in Dallas Fort worth for 4 years back in the UK now and hate it....
We would go back in a heartbeat, we too went out there with work for a few years but hubbies job brought us back, If you like hot Summers , eating out, big houses you will love it, you get a lot of house for your dollar,. I lived in Keller not far from Grapevine and can say Grapevine is a nice area to live, we loved where we where and Keller has exemplary schools. Everything is so family oriented and lots to do. Don't forget to check out Grapvine mills mall its a designer outlet mall and you will love it. I miss Texas so much and long to go back as does my 7 year old, everyone is so friendly. If you want any more information just PM me. On the subject of Guns i never saw one although most people do have one. Hope this helps.. Your utilities will be reasonable but yes in the summer your AC bill will be high but you so need it ! Took me a a year to get used to the british weather here again and lots of rain, ha ha .
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:08 am
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

lol, within 2 weeks of moving to Dallas I had fired my first gun (very badly!), haven't done it since but I thought I'd try it.

I've been here 3 months now and for the most part I love it. Have just rented an apartment in Addison which for me is a great area to live in- handy for everything I need. I definately find that my money goes alot further and the people are very friendly.