Moving Companies... your experiences

Moving Companies... your experiences

Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Razdaman101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving Companies... your experiences

Hi everyone,

Long time readier first time posting.

I have question regarding movers. I have used the search to try and find some information on the following but its not really yielding many useful results. Has anyone used any of the following moving companies to move to USA, namely West Palm Beach Florida.

They are Atlantic International Movers, Pickfords and Bishops Move. We've had quotes from all three ranging from 3500 (Bishops Move), 4000 (Atlantic) and 4350 (Pickfords) for a sole use 20 foot container.

Looking for peoples experiences of them. Or other suggestions of good companies to use in the Milton Keynes area.

Another question I have is, how did people transport there important financial documents (share certificates, pension documents etc) to the US? In the container (not to sure if thats safe to do), sending a package via fedex, UPS or Post Office (could get lost), or in the suitcase (leaning towards this method).

Thanks in advance for your help

Raz
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:52 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Companies... your experiences

we used pickfords - they were fine. Company paid so have no ideas on cost.

We were given a 40ft sea freight container and a 6 foot air freight container as part of the deal. we shipped the important docs air freight and the not important ones sea freight. Urgent ones went in the suitcase with us on the trip. We got our air fright in about 2 weeks, and sea freight in about 3 - which is a lot faster than they guarantee - so you can be without them for several months if your unlucky.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply.

The idea of splitting by importance is good we will probably take that on board.

The idea of being without documents for months possibly never getting them again is the worrying thing. I think we will probably make digital copies of everything to be on the super safe side.

thanks for you help
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We used Pickfords...their service seemed quick and efficient. Don't forget the UK company you use will probably use a different company to deliver your belongings in the US.

Anything you can't afford to lose I would carry with you...I certainly wouldn't put it in a suitacase. Take copies and leave them in a safe place in the UK...just in case
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:04 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

another thought. Get extra copies of birth and marriage certs for the whole family now whilst you are in the UK - its a lot easier and the slower postage you accept the cheaper it is. I got 3 or 4 of everything in case i had to send off multiple applications requiring any such forms.

can also fed-ex a package of docs to arrive the same time as you if you plan it.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I used Excess Baggage and they were fine. I got quotes from several companies and they were all in the £4000-4500 range for a 20 foot container, that was nr Manchester to Maine.

I used them mainly because they agreed to store everything for a month beforehand at no charge. They ship into Philadelphia.

Make sure you check how much insurance will cost on top.

I think I brought all our really important documents in suitcases, but making a digital copy is a great idea.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I used Excess Baggage and they were fine. I got quotes from several companies and they were all in the £4000-4500 range for a 20 foot container, that was nr Manchester to Maine.
I used them too. Took an age to get our stuff over on the boat, but that's luck of the drawer if you get partial container like we did. If you're the first into the container, you have to wait for other people to want to ship stuff, which will then eventually fit the container. If you're last, that's great. If you're first, you have to wait 2 months like we did! We didn't put anything urgent in there (and to be honest, you realize just how much of your stuff is crap when you can quite happily live without it for ages!).

Anyway, good price and service was excellent. The wait was long, but that was just bad luck.

It's odd how it arrives on this side of the pond too. The delivery guys were quite open. The boat turns up on the dock and then guys bid (the lowest they can get away with) to deliver your stuff. Whoever says they will deliver for the lowest price wins, and the moving company pays them. So real luck of the drawer on the quality of the final delivery!

EDIT: Insurance was incredibly expensive though. I pretty much decided even if the boat sank, it wouldn't cost us much more to replace everything. We of course had sentimental stuff that wouldn't work for, but ins money wouldn't help with that anyway. We rolled the dice and didn't get insurance... everything turned up in one piece so we did alright.

Last edited by hobbes79; Sep 17th 2008 at 6:44 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the help people

Originally Posted by MsElui
another thought. Get extra copies of birth and marriage certs for the whole family now whilst you are in the UK - its a lot easier and the slower postage you accept the cheaper it is. I got 3 or 4 of everything in case i had to send off multiple applications requiring any such forms.

can also fed-ex a package of docs to arrive the same time as you if you plan it.
This sounds like a very good idea, i expect its harder to get them in the US than it is in the UK.

Make sure you check how much insurance will cost on top.
Insurance is a killer but i think its a must have espically going into hurricane territory!

Originally Posted by hobbes79

It's odd how it arrives on this side of the pond too. The delivery guys were quite open. The boat turns up on the dock and then guys bid (the lowest they can get away with) to deliver your stuff. Whoever says they will deliver for the lowest price wins, and the moving company pays them.
I might check excess baggage out but I don't really like the sound of a free for all for my stuff. It would probably give me better piece of mind if in know the company has a subsidiary in the US (pickfords with Allied) or specific firms that they continually us (the other two).

Again thanks for your suggestions

Raz
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

We used Pickfords as well for our move from Dorset to Texas in July this year.

They were fine - really efficient at the packing. The timings were pretty much exactly as they had predicted - 3 weeks for flight consignment and 6 for shipping.

Thinking back, I wish I had included more items in the flight consignment, they were a bit vague as to how much I could include - one set of details mentioned a weight amount and another one mentioned a volume amount and I'm sure I could have pushed to get more in.

Another thing we found, the deal that my husband's company paid for included unpacking at this end. On the one hand, that was great as they took all the packing and cartons away there and then, so that's one less thing to sort out. On the other hand, it's an unpacking service, not an unpack and put away service! They just put everything onto counters/tables/the floor!! Took us a couple of days to get all straight and I'm not sure I'd do that again!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:14 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We had Pickfords for a sole use 20ft container to Oregon from London. £4200 including the insurance end 2006. They were in the mid range of quotes.

The packers were excellant stopped for a cuppa every few hours but worked hard and packed the house in 1.5 days. Loaded the container the second afternoon. It went straight to Southampton and on a boat in a couple of days. 45 days later it was at our house and if anything the guys who unloaded it and unpacked the boxes were better than the guys who packed. Not a mark or damage on anything as it was so well wrapped.

Highly recommend them. It was Allied who handled the contained at the US end.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I used Excess Baggage and they were fine.
They might be fine for removals, but don't use their dating service.