Moving to chicago

Moving to chicago

Old Dec 30th 2015, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Rallard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to chicago

Hi

My wife and I are moving to Chicago with work in February

Does anyone have any good tips on where I can live for a month on my own downtown until my wife gets out there?

Are there any other tips you have for us moving and settling in? Like rental communities downtown etc?

Many thanks
Old Dec 30th 2015, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to chicago

Where is your office based? Downtown, The Loop? What is your expectation for the commute? Car, El, walk? The weather will be brutal in February so if you're looking for short term accommodation then think about distance to the office.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Rallard is an unknown quantity at this point

My office is in the Aon tower so downtown and that is where I am wanting to live I think.

I have heard it will be brutal, but am after a short term let. Any ideas?
Old Dec 30th 2015, 4:19 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rallard
My office is in the Aon tower so downtown and that is where I am wanting to live I think.

I have heard it will be brutal, but am after a short term let. Any ideas?
Perhaps HR or your new colleagues can give you some informed suggestions.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rallard
Hi

My wife and I are moving to Chicago with work in February

Does anyone have any good tips on where I can live for a month on my own downtown until my wife gets out there?

Are there any other tips you have for us moving and settling in? Like rental communities downtown etc?

Many thanks
A short term corporate lease maybe?

A hotel?

Not many places will rent short term, especially in downtown where they don't need to.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

rochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to all

I found this site that list some monthly rentals. Hotels in Chicago With Short- or Long-Term Leases | USA Today
My son lived in Presidential Towers on a monthly basis when he was between the end of a lease and buying a place. It's a bit of a hike from there to AON, about 20 minutes on a bus. Don't under estimate the winter weather, it really can be brutal. Check out the underground walking route "the Pedway"
City of Chicago :: Pedway--Downtown Pedestrian Walkway System
there's a route that comes out at the AON building.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

I also stayed in the Presidential Towers; but my company was paying for the forst month and it was 25 years ago. These days I'd look on Airbnb and suggest you look at the South Loop.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 6:45 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

The good news: there's a glut of for rent housing on the Chicago market. It's a good time to be looking. I have no idea about short term leases, it probably varies by building.

There are many, many new buildings in the immediate vicinity of the Aon building and many more within a five mile radius. The neighborhood is called Streeterville. It's not particularly cheap, though. You need to specify a budget.

I lived in Presidential Towers briefly as well, it's fine. It's a bit of a hike from the Aon building. You might as well live a bit further afield if you're looking at PT. If you can afford it, Lincoln Park is a very nice neighborhood and relatively close.

Buy a huge down parka. I like the LL Bean "Baxter State".

Last edited by Hiro11; Jan 3rd 2016 at 6:47 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

phodg is an unknown quantity at this point

South Loop is a good idea. Cheaper than Lincoln Park and still not far from Aon.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

toluani is an unknown quantity at this point

South Loop is a definitely a good idea and you can look at Sky55 an apartment building with short leases to start you off. Aon Tower is on the north edge of grant park, and Sky55 is near the south edge of grant park so pretty close. I think the minimum short lease is 3 months though.Apartments For Rent in Chicago | Sky55 ApartmentsWe moved to Chicago in May and we live in the South Loop. I can see the Aon Tower from my living room so it's quite close.You can also look at Lakeshore East which is right behind the Aon Tower if you want to be really close, but I am not sure if there are short lease apartments there.Let me know if you have any other questions around settling down in Chicago.

Last edited by toluani; Jan 4th 2016 at 8:42 pm.